Author Topic: Cimarron (Pedersoli) Lightning  (Read 8969 times)

Offline Blackpowder Burn

• Top Active Citizen
  • Smoke & Lightning
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
Cimarron (Pedersoli) Lightning
« on: December 05, 2011, 10:58:43 PM »
I stopped by Texas Jacks last Friday on my way to the Tin Star Ranch Christmas Shoot.  While there I found a nice Lightning with a 24" octagon barrel chambered for 44-40.  They told me they were discontinuing the line of Lightnings and clearing out remaining stock for $895 each (standard model).  Being a sucker for Lightnings, I had to have it - now I have a backup for my USFA Lightning.

At any rate, I immediately took the rifle to Tin Star Ranch and tried it on the fumble stage. I ran a couple of magazines through it with perfect function.  So I tried it in the Wild Bunch match that afternoon.  Again, perfect function.  I tried it again in the Night Shoot with black powder - perfect function.  I continued to use it for the main match, again with black powder.  Again, perfect function.  In all I used it for the equivalent of 18 stages with zero malfunctions and, in fact, shot a clean main match.  I didn't clean it once the entire period.

Needless to say, I'm very happy with my new stablemate.  If y'all have an interest in these guns, now is the time to pick up one for a good price while Cimarron still has a few.
SUBLYME AND HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT
Learned Brother at Armes

Offline Badlands Beady

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Cimarron (Pedersoli) Lightning
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2012, 06:26:41 PM »
I have one in 45LC, otherwise sounds like a twin of yours.  i love mine.  It's never jammed and it drives tacks; I can't make either claim about my '73.  BT, I'm talking about the Pedersoli, not the Uberti.  I guess the Lightning got such a bad rap that no one is buying them, which is a shame since it looks like Pedersoli has worked the bugs out.  Anyway, every match I now rotate my rifles fromn one stage to the next:  Spencer, Lightning and '73.

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2012, 06:31:40 PM »
Of the Lightning clones, the Pedersoli is the most likely to work out of the box.  As are all Pedersoli products they are very well made.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 10:41:13 PM »

Offline Gabriel Law

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2012, 05:42:55 PM »
Thanks for all the favourable comments on the Lighning from Pedersoli.  I just bought mine in .45 LC from Marstar here in the Great White North.  I have yet to fire it at a target...only two days in possession...but I've loaded a bunch of 260 gr. lead over 6.7 grains of
Trail Boss.  I have zero experience with this propellant, or the rifle, so it'll be a learning curve.  I see mentioned that black powder worked fine in someone's, which is great news, because that is my favourite propellant.  I'm used to 30 gr. 3Fg in my .45 Remington, and like the feel of it.  Any advice or recommendations would be very welcome.

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2012, 05:35:50 PM »
Gee Taylor, better be careful. You might become a Cowboy Action Shooter!  ;>)  The Mocassin Telegraph also says you've acquired a good SxS.
Too bad PG dropped the ball on getting a CAS group up and running. We're planning a shoot Sunday the 28th of October, weather permitting. We already know you can shoot in snow .....

I'd recommend using 32-35 grs FFg as opposed to FFFg, especially with that bullet weight. And NOT using old 'Dominion' balloon head cases!
Your Trail Boss load sounds like it might be enough to cause compression, something that powder is reputed not to like.

Regards, Todd
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1215
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2012, 06:54:35 PM »
Just FYI, Hodgdon's loading data lists 5.8gr of Trailboss as the max with a 250gr RNFP. 

Offline Gabriel Law

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2012, 11:33:43 PM »
Todd, it's not a s x s but a '97 Winchester.  It is an old one with a 2 /12" chamber which I had lengthened to shoot 2 3/4" shells, and it works great.  I've had a second Single Action revolver on order since last spring, and have been assured it will be here in a couple of days.
The Colt Lightning by Pedersoli is such a peach of a rifle...can't wait to let her rip.  My brother, who I think is far more knowledgeable in reloading that I said that you cannot compress TB, and that full case to the base of the bullet is a max load.  Also that 70% of that is a starting load, and that's what 6.9 gr. is by my measure.  I'd appreciate advice to the contrary.  In my 1875 Remington Outlaw the load feels much lighter than the black powder load I'm used to, and I've thrown away all of my old Dominion Balloon head brass.  We'll keep the why between you and I Todd.
Abilene...thanks for the heads-up on Hodgdon's recommendations.
Todd, there's still a spark of life in the PG club to get a CAS section up and running so don't give up on us yet.  i'll see if I can arrange to come to Quesnel for the 28th!!

Taylor

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2012, 11:00:12 AM »
The 'Rope Burn City Bounty Collectors' are still willing to go north to PG any time, just waiting for an invite. And we would welcome you and the other fellers down here fer shure.

Here's an idea for you - get together with your IPSC section and put together a 'Wild Bunch' match where they can use their 'stock' 1911s vs our Cowboy guns. We can mix and match long guns. Down load "Wild Bunch For Dummies" and get the rules.
If we ever do it here, we'll admit any turn of the century pistol - Lugers, Broomhandles, Webleys, etc. If they need jacketed bullets, we'll offer paper targets instead of steel.

I shot at 'Frontiersman' at Hefley Creek this year and a fellow 'Frontiersman' "Bad Bobby Blue Eyes" shot his Ped 'Lightning' with BP and never had a hitch in the match. His pistols were Walkers. This guy does it the hard way ....
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline pakm

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2013, 08:17:48 PM »
I have the pedersoli (lighting) in .44-40. so far it's been 100% reliable. I haven't tried to speed shoot it yet. I"m just trying to get it broker in some. I use TB in just about every thing over .38 special. 6grs of TB works with 38-40, 44-40, 44 special. and .45 LC.  I use 4 gr.s in .38 special. I haven't had the 32-20 long enough to work up a load for it with TB. I used 231 for the pistol load and 12 gr.s of 4198 for the rifle. and then I switched loads. neither gun seemed to care. I really couldn't tell the difference. I had a friend with me (not very experienced with pistols) and he really couldn't tell the difference either. but the 32-20 is a sweet heart for sure.
   Pat

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2013, 08:31:00 PM »
I have the pedersoli (lighting) in .44-40. so far it's been 100% reliable. I haven't tried to speed shoot it yet. I"m just trying to get it broker in some. I use TB in just about every thing over .38 special. 6grs of TB works with 38-40, 44-40, 44 special. and .45 LC.  I use 4 gr.s in .38 special. I haven't had the 32-20 long enough to work up a load for it with TB. I used 231 for the pistol load and 12 gr.s of 4198 for the rifle. and then I switched loads. neither gun seemed to care. I really couldn't tell the difference. I had a friend with me (not very experienced with pistols) and he really couldn't tell the difference either. but the 32-20 is a sweet heart for sure.
   Pat

Take the stock off your Pedersoli Lightning and look and see if there is a little plastic wedge under the mainspring.  If so, remove it and you have done a Pedersoli action job.  ;)

Offline Abominable Bill

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2013, 08:50:05 PM »
I have a Cimarron Pedersoli in .45LC 20" Oct barrel Premium model
It's a sweet gun... it pushed my 1873 to the back of the cabinet
That's a shame that they are going to discontinue carrying them.
Makes me feel like I should go buy another... lol
If Cimarron stops importing them, there's Cherry's Firearms as well

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com