Author Topic: Lets do some looking at outfits  (Read 206764 times)

Offline Silver Creek Slim

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 2329
  • GAF #: 144
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 104
Re: Lets do some looking at outfits
« Reply #80 on: February 14, 2009, 11:59:13 AM »

This fur felt silverbelly I bought from a pard on this site several years ago. I took a tea kettle to it and shaped it to it's present shape like the picture below.

This is from 2005. The bandanna is blue silk from the Fort Old West Shop. The shirt is a banded collar from Goodwill. The suspenders I made from an 1860's pattern. The pants are Levi's from Goodwill that I added suspender buttons to.

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

Offline Texas Lawdog

• NCOWS Senator "Old School" Cop
  • Top Active Citizen
  • " We're all Here because We're not all There".
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #81 on: February 14, 2009, 12:05:44 PM »
Slim, That bottom photo looks period with the barnwood backdrop.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline Ottawa Creek Bill

• Vietnam Vet 1966,67 First place, Southeast Asia Rifle Team, "66/67"
  • Top Active Citizen
  • OCB, A Newer, More Gentler NCOWS Member...........
  • Liked:
« Reply #82 on: February 14, 2009, 12:36:12 PM »
Silver Creek.....
What a transformation.....

Bill
Vice Chairman American Indian Council of Indianapolis
Vice Chairman Inter tribal Council of Indiana
Member, Ottawa-Chippewa Band of Indians of Michigan
SASS # 2434
NCOWS # 2140
CMSA # 3119
NRA LIFER

Advertising

« Reply #83 on: Today at 11:40:59 PM »

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #83 on: February 14, 2009, 02:12:19 PM »
Slim, That bottom photo looks period with the barnwood backdrop.
That is the end of my machine shed.  ;)

Silver Creek.....
What a transformation.....

Bill
Thanks, Bill.

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #84 on: February 14, 2009, 02:59:40 PM »

Here are some pards and I in Feb 2005. I wearing my black wool felt hat I bought from the same pard as I bought the silverbelly from. I added the chaps that I bought from Mill's Fleet Farm. I think they are Weaver brand.

Here I was in Feb 2007. I changed the front strap and buckle on the chaps to more authentic leather laces, and added a harness buckle to the back strap. The red bandanna is from the Fort Old West Shop. The dark grey wool vest is from Goodwill. The blue plaid bib shirt I made. The boots are Fort Frontier boots.

Slim

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 463
« Reply #85 on: February 14, 2009, 03:17:59 PM »
Nice job adding little touches for fine-tuning, Slim.
Looking good!
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #86 on: February 14, 2009, 03:22:12 PM »

I made this bib shirt a couple years ago.

Slim

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #87 on: February 14, 2009, 03:22:49 PM »
Nice job adding little touches for fine-tuning, Slim.
Looking good!
Thanks, John.

Slim

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #88 on: February 14, 2009, 03:34:30 PM »

Here are my most recent additions from 2008. I made the canvas vest and pants from an 1860's pattern.
I have a purple flowered vest cut out but have to sew it.

I do have a pair of denim striped pants I made but I can't find any pictures of them.

That's all I have for now.  ;)

Slim

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #89 on: February 14, 2009, 05:23:26 PM »
Thanks Slim, I stole a copy of that one picture, hard to believe that was 4 years ago.
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #90 on: February 14, 2009, 05:50:45 PM »
Congrats to Slim on his clothes making skills. I wish I was able to make some of my clothes. I would have to get my materials and patterns from Omar the Tent Maker.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #91 on: February 14, 2009, 06:24:25 PM »

Here are my most recent additions from 2008. I made the canvas vest and pants from an 1860's pattern.
I have a purple flowered vest cut out but have to sew it.

I do have a pair of denim striped pants I made but I can't find any pictures of them.

That's all I have for now.  ;)

Slim

Slim......
Are those Ruger Bisleys you are shooting....Nice chaps.....you may want to look into an earlier style of shotguns depending on what time period you are portraying....really like the plaid bib shirt!!!

Bill
SASS # 2434
NCOWS # 2140
CMSA # 3119
NRA LIFER

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #92 on: February 14, 2009, 06:29:35 PM »

I prefer caps when I'm not shooting, such as this mechanics cap. Also small brimmed hats such as bowlers or top hats.

For general wear or travel as an overcoat I like a linen duster. I do love hats of all types. Being bald they serve a more practical purpose rather than just style. Usually wear a vest and long sleeved underwear under my shirt, both summer and winter.

Most often for shooting I like a straw of some kind. They're cool and light. If well fitted I don't have any problem keeping them on in a wind, unless we're talking gale force, then I'm not the only one chasing my hat. (Now that I think of it, for those rare times I've ever had the wind take my hat it always seems to blow it downrange. :-\)
For wet weather I like the traditional fishskin slicker. They do require a bit of maintenance to keep the waterproofing from sticking to itself, at least on the older ones. Two schools of thought on that,- 1.) dust with cornstarch 2.) wipe down with Armor-All. This one came from a run that The Fort were selling, and the coating was not sticky, so I just treat with Armor-All at the beginning of the season.

I'm also interested in military history and have put together a Naval Ensign uniform. Here the dress version, with the coat worn by having the top button only buttoned, allowing the coat to open and fall away along the sides exposing the vest. Non-regulation but very common style during the period, both military and civilian.

And here the shooting version. The Navy Regs allowed the wearing of white pantaloons and straws in the warmer climates.

In general I feel most comfortable as a 'Townie" as opposed to a cowboy, etc. Shoes rather than boots,- woolen gloves or dress gloves rather than roping cuffs or gauntlets. I also prefer earth-tones, but one of these days I've promised myself to have Jean Warren at James Country Mercantile make me up a three-piece in a typical gaudy plaid just for fun. I've seen three different versions on Pards and they all looked great!

RCJ

John......that photo of you waking out of the jail is just dandy! Who took it? I'll bet it was some Indian you know.......what do ya think?

Bill
SASS # 2434
NCOWS # 2140
CMSA # 3119
NRA LIFER

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 463
« Reply #93 on: February 14, 2009, 06:37:36 PM »
 ;D ;D

It was the best of the two. The other I am looking into the camera but I don't think shows off the cap as well.

"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #94 on: February 14, 2009, 06:40:33 PM »

Well I forgot to mention mine is mine also.  But we don't care John, baldness is PC also, they say Custer was going bald also. ;)

Nice explination also on the clothes John.  I'm going to dig, I know I have a couple more of you.

Del.......I think Custers baldness was accelerated quite a bit at Little Big Horn ;D ;D

Bill
SASS # 2434
NCOWS # 2140
CMSA # 3119
NRA LIFER

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #95 on: February 14, 2009, 09:04:39 PM »
Thanks Slim, I stole a copy of that one picture, hard to believe that was 4 years ago.
You are very welcome to it.

Slim

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #96 on: February 14, 2009, 09:22:14 PM »
Slim......
Are those Ruger Bisleys you are shooting....Nice chaps.....you may want to look into an earlier style of shotguns depending on what time period you are portraying....really like the plaid bib shirt!!!

Bill
Yep, they are Ruger Bisleys I bought for SASS. They fit my hands great. The lower hammer spurs are great for duelist and gunfighter. I use my 1875 Remington clones when I shoot NCOWS. Thanks, I really like the chaps too. They come in real handy when I pick up brass. They keep the pants cleaner when I kneel down instead of squatting. The price was sure right on 'em too. They were on close out for $75. I was thinking about making a pair before I saw these. I could barely buy the leather for that price. Thanks, I sure like the plaid bib shirt too. I have long arms, so one advantage of making shirts is I can adjust the pattern to make the sleeves longer if need be.

Slim

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #97 on: February 15, 2009, 09:07:58 AM »
Slim, I have that problem too. It's hard for me to find shirts in my size(5X) that have sleeves long enough and shirt tails long enough. I would like to find banded collar shirts in my size too. Pants are easier to find than shirts and coats(62 XL).

Offline Scarlet Angel

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #98 on: February 15, 2009, 09:47:22 AM »
You Fellas have posted more great photos.

Slim I like what you did to the hat.

Here we are on the town.. The tall handsome fella on the left of the photo is my husband. The hat is a Confederat calvary slouch by Brims n Trims..I really like them fellas,  The long jacket we got at Eot 5 or so yrs ago. 

The dress does have a hoop skirt under it, I have on the cutiest pair of pantaloons for valentines day...perhaps I'll get a picture of those up here the fabric for those is not really PC..but hey I liked 'em. The skirt does have a train on it too, little mixing of my eras but I like the way it looks.. Scarlet is a rebel at heart anyhow.

The handsome fella on the right is my dad. He got the hat from one of the vendors at EOT, shrit made by mom...I would have to look at the pattern to get all the info...The pants..he took off the belt loops of a store bought brand and put on the buttons for the suspenders. The necklace he made himself. Dad enjoys native american history and making jewlery with bones, beads and stones that fit into the era.

close up of the necklace

"The Scarlet Angel, heaven and hell all rolled into one.... I’d hate to be the one on the hell side.” ~Patches McDuff

"Courage is being scared to death - but saddling up anyway." John Wayne

"Dance like nobody's watching; love like you've never been hurt. Sing like nobody's listening; live like it's heaven on earth."  Mark Twain

Offline Trinity

• AKA the Chicory Kid
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Here's to Miss AnnieLee!
    • Trinity aka Chicory Kid Rides
  • Liked:
« Reply #99 on: February 15, 2009, 12:53:35 PM »
Great thread!!!  Not much happens over here, so I check things out over here only occasionally.  Obviously I hadn't been by since this thread started.

You folks have some posted some very nice pics!

FEB, those are Frontier Classic brand pants. ;)

I knew that from the tag. ;D

Not being critical.....
But one thing I've noticed is that most of the images we post on these kinds of forums is that our clothes look like we just wore them for the first time(not you Del).....I wish more folks would try to look like they've worn their clothes for a good length of time, especially the male gender.

If you are a cowboy (obviously I'm not), you would be lucky to have owned  two changes of clothes.....and they would have been clothes that you work in on the trail, or around horses, you can really get dirty during the daily chores around horses.

I like what Del does to his clothes...when they suffer a hole or a tear he sews  a patch on, or repairs the tear, you can tell he uses his clothes and wears them as much as he can.....

Just an observation so please don't take this our of context.

Bill

I fully agree, but do not provide much of a good example as I don't get a chance to go out and play often enough.   Besides shooting, it's fun to wear while camping.  I haven't gone on a solo camping trip in over a year :(, but hope to do so in March.

Despite how easy it is to get dirty, it is rather difficult to really give your clothes a good "worn-in" look without actually wearing them for a while.

Here are some pics:

Vintage ca. 1978. :)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

These pics were taken at one of the first shoots that I took part in.  I had been visiting the shoots and posting in here already, getting ideas.  Even today, I still am not 100% decided on what I want to look like. ::) ;D

-My mother made the vest for me from a Buckaroo Bobbins pattern and some undied denim.  When she made it, I could close it, but not by the time the picture was made. 8)
-Shirt and Trousers are Wah
-The hat is a cheapo that I got from the 'net.  I'd like something more correct, but with a size of 7 7/8, I have a hard time with mass made items fitting properly and custom jobs are just too expensive. (The same applies to getting period shooting spectacles to fit...)

-The glasses were the awful type that fit over your regular glasses.  I hated them with a passion because whenever I moved my head, I would get dizzy due to the flaws in the poly materials.  I can get around fine without glasses, but need them for shooting... if I want to see the target, that is.
-The facial hair was fun, but not something I can do with my current "other" hobby.
-Bandanna is a square of "homespun" cotton from a local fabric store

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This was a few months later.  I had just purchased myself a Yellowboy to replace the '92.

-Duster is from Frontier Classics, a cotton/linen blend.
-Boots are from Del - Durango, I think.  I have large calves and have difficulties getting my legs into narrow shafts.  I also have limited mobility on my right side, which makes it pretty difficult to get that foot into any shoe, boots are even worse.  I would like to have a more correct boot, but like the hat, I can't just buy it without first trying it on.

I really like this picture, because it was such a beautiful, pre-spring day, but I had forgotten my hat at home. :(

-Shirt is Frontier Classics, Trousers are Wah
-The vest is again something my mother made from wool blend fabric that I had bought at a thrift store.  Sadly, she becomes easily confused more often these days and that is possibly the last item that she'll make for me.  I can't sew worth anything...
-Bandanna is a slik polka dot, tied in a four-in-hand.

I don't really like this picture because I didn't have a moment to look into a mirror beforehand.  Otherwise, I would have sucked in my belly a bit.  However, I really like the striped trousers - Frontier Classics
The vest is a "Duke" that I bought long ago.

I too want to get one of those loud plaids one day. ;D
"Finest partner I ever had.  Cleans his paws and buries his leavin's.  Lot more than some folks I know."

"I fumbled through my closet for my clothes, And found my cleanest dirty shirt" - K.Kristofferson

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com