Author Topic: josey wales' coat  (Read 85273 times)

Offline Free Hand

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
josey wales' coat
« on: November 30, 2006, 01:08:16 AM »
For a Christmas present for an amigo of mine, I sure would like to get ahold of the coat, or a patten of one,like the one with the navy collar (?) that Clint wore as Josey Wales. Is it just a matter of adding the "flap" in the back, or would there be more to it? 
"If you can't be part of the solution, at least don't be part of the problem"
"America is too great for small ideas"
"Trust in The Lord, but keep yer powder dry"
"America bless God"
 "There ain't no sucha thing as a free lunch!"

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
Re: josey wales' shirt
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2006, 09:27:24 AM »
Look at a Dixie Gun Works catalog for patterns.

I seem to remember it as a Cavalry Greatcoat, and both sides wore pretty much the same style.

If you're going to produce one - there 'is' more to it - but such things can be bought through the various Civil War reenactor dealers.

Scouts Out!
"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Offline Free Hand

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: josey wales' coat
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2006, 12:10:46 PM »
St George
Thanks for the feedback amigo, but I wondering if we're refering to the same jacket. The one that I'm talking about was about waist length, and had three quarter length sleeves. Could this have been a cut down version of the one to which you refered?

FH

BTW your alias wouldn't have any conection to the city of the same name in Utah, would it?
"If you can't be part of the solution, at least don't be part of the problem"
"America is too great for small ideas"
"Trust in The Lord, but keep yer powder dry"
"America bless God"
 "There ain't no sucha thing as a free lunch!"

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 09:34:36 AM »

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2006, 04:33:42 PM »
No idea.

I saw that movie and the movie poster when it was first released and my recollection is of that particular photo, nothing more.

It was common for the Irregular to use those articles of clothing that they'd come across, and any sort of greatcoat was valued as a prime source of comfort and warmth, as it doubled as a blanket.

It 'could' have been cut-down - but clothing made for mounted men was generally saddle-length, so you need a much better view of his outfit.

Nonetheless - you'll find good patterns available from Dixie.

As to Utah - no - not at all.

Vaya,

Scouts Out!
"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Offline JohnnyReb

• Active citizen
  • Just Whistling Dixie
    • Once-bitten Syndicate
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2007, 07:43:32 PM »
I would be interested to find out if anyone found out anything on this coat!
I personally have NEVER seen one like it anywhere other than this movie (Josey Wales). It's NOT a classic Cavalry "Roundabout" nor is it much like one of the Historical "Great-Coats" either. Something about this coat screams Bush-Guerilla, which is,I think, exactly what it was meant to do...
I think it's important to note that Josey was a part of a Confederate Guerilla Group...this may seem obvious to some but not to all and it also lead me on some interesting searches where this Jacket is concerned.
Throughout the movie different characters refer to the confederate Guerilla's or Josey inparticuler as "BushWhacker(s)".
Also, in the rain sequence near the beginning of the movie Josey's Jacket looks like it's shedding water like an Oil Cloth.

So...I've been doing random searches for "BushWhacker Coat", "Confederate Oil-Cloth Coat", etc...
As of yet I have found NO exact matches to his jacket but some with certain characteristics of it.
"To Hell with them fella's, buzzards gotta eat same as worms."

Offline Marshal Will Wingam

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smile. It makes people wonder what you're up to.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2007, 09:11:29 PM »
From what I remember of it, it looked like an oil cloth duster with the sleeves shortened to about 3/4 length and cut off below the waist. I think it had the shoulder cape but now I'll have to watch it again to pay more attention. I doubt anyone actually in that situation would cut up a good duster like that.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Offline JohnnyReb

• Active citizen
  • Just Whistling Dixie
    • Once-bitten Syndicate
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2007, 12:55:35 PM »
Considering we are talking about Confederate Guerrilla's, who were'nt known for their adherence to military dress code...it's hard to say what they would or wouldn't do as far as their clothing.
I'm guessing that because  Josay's coat is so unique that it was either supossed  to have been hand made by him or for him and to serve in a very utilitarian way much as many of the more country type guerrilla's were partial to wearing a home made shirt of plaid  that had large U shaped pockets on the breast.
The length of Josey's Coat (it goes below the waist line to below the crotch) looks to be the standard if not shortened length of an enlisted man's frock coat. The sleeves, which are shortened to a little below the elbow, are obviously made so to free up the lower arm and hand motion...Confederate Guerrilla's were known to favor pistols and to carry up to four of them at a time
(as Josey does) most being simply tucked in their belts for ease of draw.
Hey! Here's a thought...maybe I can track this sucker down through the costumer for the movie.
I'll repost if I find anything.

Offline Mick Archer

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2007, 12:18:02 PM »
  Howdy Pards!

IMHO, in this case... you might be looking at a Hollwood production and then attempting to find a historical garment in the Past that actually existed that matches  a "Wardrobe" creation.

I can think of no actual Civil War era uniform item that was the basis of "Josey Wales" jacket.  (Without watching the movie again, it reminds me of a cut-down body and sleeves from a modern "Australian Drover's' type coat" kinda/sorta...
   You best bet, IMHO, may be DVDing the movie so that individual frames can be frozen or "stepped" in full clarity and the details sketched down.  With enough sketches (or possibly collecting enough Internet images from the movie), you might can fight a maker or just a sewer who can create a similar one for you.

There was a small, new, company on-line company I once saw that was starting to do some Eastwood western "prop" items- but I do not recall the name.  (came about a few months ago when a pard wanted an Eastwood "Pale Rider" coat and hat.)

Mick Archer
Mick Archer and his evil twin brother Faux Cowchild

Offline JohnnyReb

• Active citizen
  • Just Whistling Dixie
    • Once-bitten Syndicate
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2007, 05:23:50 PM »
Great Pic! That is not one I have found online and I've really been looking...got anymore? :)

Yes, I am certain you are correct about the Non-Historical Part of this coat.
As it happens, I do own Josey Wales on DVD and have been going through and making sketches. Two of the best scenes in the movie for this are the "Rose of Alabama" scene where Josey takes off his gun belt and the his jacket hangs naturally AND the
"In Town" scene where you can get some great close-up's of Josy's shoulder cape.
As it also happens, my girl-friend is a Civil War Re-enactor and a wonderful seamstress!
She has promised to do some sketches for me of Josey's Coat and if she let's me...I'll post them here!
Now how about any opinions as to fabric? I'm thinking canvas of some kind but what is that color? Sometimes it looks brown and other times it looks to be a dark grey...I'm inclining toward the grey. Opinions anyone?

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2007, 06:05:40 PM »
Well it's been 30 years, but Glenn Wright was still working last I knew....

Glenn was the Costume Designer for OJW and about a dozen other Eastwood projects...
I know he did Unforgiven... Heartbreak Ridge in the ninties...

You might try contact through SAG ( he has acted )
when planets align...do the deal !

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2007, 09:17:17 PM »
Be sure to post pics/drawings that show it. If you make a pattern, it would be interesting to see that. If I were going to make one, I'd make it from oilcloth. Probably a dark brown.

Offline Dr. Bob

• Dr. Bob
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Physician and Sporting Gent aka Bob Dorian
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2007, 11:51:21 PM »
You can buy dark brown oil cloth from Panther Primitives.  Great quality, but pretty oily at first.
Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator
HR 4
GAF 405,
NRA Life,
KGC 8.
Warthog
Motto: Clean mind  -  Clean body,   Take your pick

Offline Will Ketchum

• Chief of Detectives
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Pete Ersland
  • SASS #: 4222
  • NCOWS #: 133
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2007, 04:57:32 PM »
Wouldn't it be easier to just buy a Aussie drover coat and cut it off at the waste and shorten the sleeves?

Will Ketchum
Will Ketchum's Rules of W&CAS: 1 Be Safe. 2 Have Fun. 3  Look Good Doin It!
F&AM, NRA Endowment Life, SASS Life 4222, NCOWS Life 133.  USMC for ever.
Madison, WI

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2007, 05:01:31 PM »
They also ake a short coat  It would have snaps though.
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline JohnnyReb

• Active citizen
  • Just Whistling Dixie
    • Once-bitten Syndicate
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2007, 07:30:32 PM »
Thanks to all for your interest!
I really like it when people take the time to try to help me solve a puzzle so I would like to try to reply to each and every one of you in turn...here goes:
Major 2: Thanks for the Glenn Wright info! I was not aware that he had acted. However, he is the only costumer listed on OJW and his listing reads something like "Oversee-er" which leads me to believe that most of the costumes were pulled from stock for the movie. The Josey Coat may hav been made special but I'm beginning to think that even IF I was able to get ahold of the guy...he probably wouldn't be able to tell me much more than I've allready sussed out. It's a good fall back idea though if I run into any snags in it's construction.
Marshall Will Wingham: I believe I have decided on canvas for the body of the coat and oil-cloth for the cape(if I can find them both in the same color) I will DEFINATELY post pics of any drawings and patterns here(girl-friend gave me permission)Thanks for the suggestion!
Dr. Bob: Thanks for the source for oil-cloth! I will definately check them out.
Will Ketchum: It's a tempting idea to buy something and cut it down...but my girl-friend/costumer always reminds me that it's easier to build what you want from scratch...I make it a habit to try to agree with her as much as possible as she's usually right! Thanks for the thought.
Delmonico: See answer directly above!
Thanks to all who offered input here...I should have some interesting things to post soon!
I'm STILL collecting good LARGE Pictures from the movie if anyone has the time to post them here I would be much obliged!!

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2007, 01:15:29 AM »
Looking forward to seeing the finished product. Thanks for keeping us advised.

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2007, 05:36:15 PM »
Well then here is one more place to try...
Western Costume in LA.
They are by far the largest..
Believe it or not on North & South II the wardrobe dept. had  both Earl Fylnn & David Niven's Tunic's from
Charge of the Light Brigade these were worn by two reenactor extras, as British Military observers at 1st. Bull Run
scenes.
They came from Western Costume, and still had the name tag's sewn in.
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline JohnnyReb

• Active citizen
  • Just Whistling Dixie
    • Once-bitten Syndicate
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2007, 05:58:31 PM »
I just got a response back from Western Costume in L.A.
They have no information on the Josey Wales Coat.

Offline Books OToole

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Michael Tatham
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 91
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2007, 06:14:44 PM »
I would think that a pattern for a caped great coat would be the place to start the creation process.

Books
G.I.L.S.

K.V.C.
N.C.O.W.S. 2279 - Senator
Hiram's Rangers C-3
G.A.F. 415
S.F.T.A.

Offline JohnnyReb

• Active citizen
  • Just Whistling Dixie
    • Once-bitten Syndicate
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2007, 05:35:37 PM »
UPDATE:
Rather interesting I think, I pointed out to my costumer that the hem on the cape of the "Josey" jacket appears to be inside out. She replied that it would make sense if the cape was intended to be drawn up for use as a hood in bad weather...I then pointed out that there are leather "Thongs" hanging from the bottom corners of the cape and this seems to have cynched the idea that these were intended to draw up the cape into a hood. COOL!
Also: here is a link to a wonderful period costumer that I was fortunate enough to camp with recently, check them out if you have the time and tell Kay that Paul sent you! And don't b discouraged from the look of the site, they do mens clothing too!
   www.lavendersgreen.com

More soon on the Josey Coat!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com