Author Topic: Want to start reloading, need your advice  (Read 5527 times)

Offline Mean Matt McCord

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Want to start reloading, need your advice
« on: October 09, 2006, 12:27:23 PM »
Pards, this will definitely be the mother of all stupid questions from me, but I need your input.

I'm about to clear out a spot in my garage so my best friend and I can start reloading our own stuff (we will both be reloading 45 long colt). What equipment will we need, besides the press, to hit the floor running? We will not even try to cast our own bullets, but will be recycling our old brass as much as possible. He will be loading smokeless, whereas I'll be loading substitute BP. We're hoping we can share much of the same equipment. Please offer as many details as possible, and remember you're dealing with someone totally ignorant of what it takes to reload. As usual, thanks in advance.
Mean Matt
Custodian of the Prayer Posse pins, STORM 380

Offline Camille Eonich

• Top Active Citizen
    • Stump Water and Camille Eonich's Website
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
Re: Want to start reloading, need your advice
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2006, 12:53:32 PM »
First and foremost a couple of reloading manuals.  I would buy one or two and read through them before even buying a press.

In addition to the press you will need a set of dies.  You'll need a tumbler and cleaning media.  A set of scales.

Depending upon what type of press that you buy you may need other items such as a hand primer, primer flip tray, primer tubes.
“Extremism is so easy. You've got your position, and that's it. It doesn't take much thought. And when you go far enough to the right you meet the same idiots coming around from the left.”
― Clint Eastwood

Offline Doc Shapiro

• Top Active Citizen
    • Custom Handmade Pistol Grips
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2006, 09:51:01 PM »
I think Cammy hit it.  I'll run through my list...

Press
Dies
Tumbler with media
Bullet puller (I use a kinetic one)
Brass
Primers
Bullets
Powder
Calipers (for checking OAL)
Powder measure
Powder scale
A good reloading manual, along with data for the powder (from the manufacturer) that you selected

I think that about covers it.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 08:18:18 PM »

Offline Stump Water

• I ain't gonna worry about it.
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2006, 08:05:28 PM »
Matt... about the reloading manual. Get one or two and read them.

Doc has a good shopping list there.... but WAIT!!!!

Do you shoot with someone that reloads and doesn't have squibs or otherwise inconsistent ammo?  Ok... buy that shooter dinner/supper and wheedle your way into getting him/her to show you the ropes.  Probaly be best to seek out the one that's been "the route".  Not the one that, "Bought the Super Dyno-Whoppin' Anti-Progressive reloader from hades on day-one and never looked back."  ;)

We're talkin' cowfolk here. I'll bet you'll find someone that will be happy to take you under their wing and get you started right.  Ask that experienced reloader what he/she would do if he/she had to start from scratch. 

Got a budget?  No problem... we all do.  Tell 'em what your budget is

Offline Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Speed Junky
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2006, 11:13:08 PM »
Don't just buy 2 or 3 reloading manuals.  Buy every one you can afford and READ them, BEFORE you buy the 1st piece of equipment.  Make sure among them are Lyman's Black Powder Handbook if you're going to be reloading BP shotshells, and for general reloading info, Lyman's Cast Bullet Handbook.  Another is Lyman's new 48th Edition of their Reloading Handbook.

One thing that you need to be aware of:  don't use just any powder measure for your BP or BP substitute loads.  Plastic can build up static electricity and steel can spark.  There are methods to deal with this, and there are measures that use brass.  Do your homework.  Visit some BP forums and ask lots of questions.  Remember, the only stupid question is the one you're too embarrassed to ask!  Nobody started out in this reloading game knowing EVERYTHING there is to know!  The fact that you asked here shows that you're above averge!
Griff
SASS/CMSA #93 Endowment
LSFSC Life
NRA Life

Offline gotzguns

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2006, 01:02:15 AM »
when i started reloading in 1970, i started with a rcbs starter kit. it had everything you needed including one set of dies. it was a good way to start. i would think about going that route.if you like it you will add to your equiptment as you go. start reloading smokless first. then get into b.p. the reloading manual and instruction that came with kit told you everything you needed to know. take your time and you will learn how its done. my first round that i loaded is in a glass case near my reloading bench. it was a 38 spl. with a 158 grain lead round nose bullet. loaded with unique powder. that was thousands of rounds ago. now i load everything. 25 acp to 577 snider. if you need alittle advice let me know. i've helped lots of people get started in this great hoppy. later, gotzguns

Offline charliebrown

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2012, 11:11:15 AM »
My advice is unless you took high school or college chemistry and got at least a C or better, Do Not Reload. You need to be very exactng, meticulous, precise and follow manufactures safe reloading manuals.  And for God's sake Do Not Smoke within 75 feet of your reloading bench or powder. I recommended reloading to a friend about 25 years ago. He was neither exacting, meticulous or precise and he was a smoker. About 3 years after he started reloading he concocted a load and upon firing it he ate a shotgun receiver. So, a word to the wise is sufficient.    ::)

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 363
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2012, 05:38:29 PM »
Without being exact, meticulous, or precise, this thread is somewhere around 5 1/2 years old.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

Offline Buzzard II

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2012, 09:52:29 PM »
If you're measuring black powder or substitue, I would recommend a belding & mull measure. It can also be used for smokeless.  I use a Dillon 550 press-I'm very happy with it-it works great. RCBS dies.  Don't handle primers with your bare hands-you may contaminate them.  Use a primer tray to flip primers.  Make sure you fill the case with black powder or substitue-NO AIR SPACE!  I de-cap my blackpowder cases right after shooting them, then wash them in a jug of hot water and dish detergent.  I then rinse them with clean water and at home I use lemishine and ivory dish detergent in a thumlers tumbler with stainless steel rods.  Brass comes out like new!  Buffalo Arms has a lot of reloading equipment . Dillon Precision in Scottsdale Arizona has the Dillon press-order direct from them. I cast my own bullets 20-1 lead from rotometals lead.  Use a bullet designed for black powder-they have larger lube grooves.  I lube and size with a lyman lubricisor and use SPG lube-works for me.  Slug your barrel-even if you are using purchased bullets.  I try for 2 thousands over groove with lead-but each gun is different-you will have to see what your gun likes. Work up loads with the smokeless.  You can use the same bullets and lube for both black powder/substitue and smokeless.  Black powder substitue is more corrisive than blackpowder- so clean your guns ASAP.  DON'T LET THE SUN GO DOWN ON A DIRTY GUN!!!!! I use ballistol to clean and lube mine. Good shooting!  Bob
SMOKLESS POWDER IS JUST A PASSING FAD!
NRA ENDOWMENT MEMBER
SASS LIFE MEMBER-AKA "BUCK HUNTER"
N-SSA  CO. QM SGT- 1st NJ LIGHT ARTILLERY-BATTERY B
GUN OWNERS OF AMERICA LIFE MEMBER
NRA CERTIFIED PISTOL INSTRUCTOR
NRA CERTIFIED RANGE SAFETY OFFICER
FORMER N.J. HUNTER ED. INSTRUCTOR/TEAM LEADER

Offline Buzzard II

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2012, 09:54:47 PM »
Didn't see the original date-oh well!
SMOKLESS POWDER IS JUST A PASSING FAD!
NRA ENDOWMENT MEMBER
SASS LIFE MEMBER-AKA "BUCK HUNTER"
N-SSA  CO. QM SGT- 1st NJ LIGHT ARTILLERY-BATTERY B
GUN OWNERS OF AMERICA LIFE MEMBER
NRA CERTIFIED PISTOL INSTRUCTOR
NRA CERTIFIED RANGE SAFETY OFFICER
FORMER N.J. HUNTER ED. INSTRUCTOR/TEAM LEADER

Offline Curley Cole

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2012, 01:41:35 AM »
First thing to get is:

Dr Richard Lees Modern Reloading second edition. It will tell you hole to reload, cartridges and shotshells. Even has pix. Uses Lee equipment, but it is a good lesson. Also has data so it can be your first loading manual.

also go to LEe home page....they have vidios on how to do stuff..

good luck

curley
Scars are tatoos with better stories.
The Cowboys
Silver Queen Mine Regulators
dammit gang

Offline PJ Hardtack

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2012, 09:46:15 AM »
This topic will never be 'old' as long as people are interested in shooting. Everyone has to start somewhere.

I began with an RCBS Jr. single stage press that I still have and use. If you are reloading for two, that gets 'old' PDQ. A better bet would be one of the basic progressives like the Lee or Dillon Square Deal, especially since you are targeted on .45 Colt and most of us would rather spend time shooting than reloading.

If you are smart enough to play with guns, you are smart enough to handle the complexity of these machines. There is a learning curve as with any new device. You do drive in modern traffic, no? Reloading is not as complex as that.

You will soon learn what you 'need' as opposed to what people say you need. Simple is good and needless complexity is not. Common sense is your friend. I knew a fellow who was proud of his Dillon progressive in the era before the primer feed had a blast tube around it. He tried to un-jam stuck primers with a coat hanger - "Bang!" 

Cost him a chunk of finger tendon and a tongue lashing from his wife. That put me off progressives for a while but now I own two Dillons and would welcome a third.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline joec

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2012, 06:21:33 PM »
Besides the books which I really agree with, if just starting stay away from the Progressive presses. Now I started with 2 Lee Pro 1000 presses. I then bought a cheap Lee Reloader Press (C type single stage)  to decap and then decided to do it at the meets with the Lee Hand Press and a Universal decapping die. I recently sold one of the progresses and picked up a Lee Classic Turret and use it to load black powder loaded 45 colts exclusively at this time. Really the press I would recommend for a beginner period as it is inexpensive, works as a single stage, turret with shades of a progresses. Easy to use doing one cartridge at a time with 4 dies. I do agree they all have a learning curve and start slow and add as even a very  inexpensive single press comes in handy for a lot of things. Brand is a matter of what you can afford but don't underestimate Lee's equipment due to the fact they are the cheapest.
Joe
NCOWS 3384

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com