Author Topic: 1876 Winchester parts gun carbine build.  (Read 51613 times)

Offline dusty texian

• Chief Scout Wehmeyer Ranch's.
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 107
Re: 1876 Winchester parts gun carbine build.
« Reply #100 on: April 12, 2018, 01:49:24 PM »
Winchesterbarrels.com    make the call ,,,,,,,DT

Offline yahoody

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 29
« Reply #101 on: April 12, 2018, 02:13:19 PM »
 ::)

:o

Now I am  mad at you!
"time leaves tombstones or dry bones"  SASS #2903

Offline dusty texian

• Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
« Reply #102 on: April 12, 2018, 02:21:26 PM »
  ;D ;D ;D

Advertising

« Reply #103 on: Today at 10:08:31 AM »

Online King Medallion

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 14753
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 165
« Reply #103 on: April 12, 2018, 02:33:48 PM »
LOL!!  :D
King Medallion

Offline dusty texian

• Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
« Reply #104 on: January 30, 2019, 04:54:47 PM »
Fitted the parts gun with a SGB stock , now making a BP . The SGBP feels really good and looks OK so far . Will post more pics . as progress allows .,,,DT

Online King Medallion

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #105 on: January 30, 2019, 05:01:55 PM »
ooohh, that looks like it might be painful. I advise a nice big red rubber pad. Make it look authentic!  ;) :D
King Medallion

Offline greyhawk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 49
« Reply #106 on: January 30, 2019, 08:37:39 PM »
Dusty
I re read some of this catching up with Kings last post

Always struggled with drilling the long hole to fit a magazine tube in the forend (part of the reason why the few I have made have been shorter than standard + I like the shortened forend look)

Anyway last year I bought a ball end carbide cutter off ebay (got a couple and different sizes cheap) --makes that job so easy to do - I just set the blank up in the mill vice - ya can cut the first run with an ordinary end mill, then run the ball cutter through - hole is dead straight same diameter from end to end - so easy !

Also bought a 45 degree cutter that will do the barrel inlet for an octagon - so long as you figure the vice angle right for the barrel taper -

the biggest problem with all this is cleaning the chips and sawdust off the mill after the job.

All this was after the event for me - done a forend for a 92 by hand and figured there has got to be a better way than this (extension shank for a sanding drum from a dremel tool in my electric drill).

You maybe figured how to drill that long hole with a wood bit somehow? I never did but this ball cutter works a treat  (using hard local timber didnt help the cause any but it comes up purty).

Good to see the interest in the 76's keep rolling along

Offline dusty texian

• Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
« Reply #107 on: January 31, 2019, 05:47:29 AM »
Greyhawk I have only built a few forearms so my set-up  is kind of crude . I purchased a drill that is .750 " and has a lead screw ahead of the cutter, that is perfect for the 1876 mag. tube with just a small amount of polishing after boring through . I did learn this , I bore the magazine hole then inlet the barrel channel by using the bored magazine hole as a guide for barrel inletting . Your set-up sounds like it would be a very accurate cut .  I am making  a forearm and butt stock now for another project a single shot Rolling Block .50 cal. oct. barrel , the wood is very hard , its Texas Mesquite burl / root stock . On this piece I have used a router and piece of angle iron for a guide to start the barrel channel , but finishing the cut with chisel and scrapers . I must admit working the wood down is enjoyable to me and I am in no hurry ( Therapy ) . I ran across this Shotgun butt 1876 stock and decided to fit it on my parts gun , looks good to me and feels great . Should finish the butt plate and final sanding then apply the stain and oil .The SGB fits with the short forearm and short rifle theme .I agree I am glad to see some of us still interested in the 1876 rifles .,,,DT

Offline dusty texian

• Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
« Reply #108 on: January 31, 2019, 05:49:50 AM »
ooohh, that looks like it might be painful. I advise a nice big red rubber pad. Make it look authentic!  ;) :D
       Thanks for the tip .       You better throw a log on the fire , Geeze what is it up there 100 below ?,,DT

Online King Medallion

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #109 on: January 31, 2019, 07:43:25 AM »
Been going thru a lot of logs this week. Going to have to make a trip to the farm to resupply. Bottomed out at -27 this morning. Rain scheduled for Saturday. Go figure. Back to Sub-Zero next week again. I'm moving to Wyoming.
King Medallion

Offline dusty texian

• Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
« Reply #110 on: January 31, 2019, 07:54:44 AM »
Been going thru a lot of logs this week. Going to have to make a trip to the farm to resupply. Bottomed out at -27 this morning. Rain scheduled for Saturday. Go figure. Back to Sub-Zero next week again. I'm moving to Wyoming.
                               Cant imagine how the animals are living through this cold .,,,,DT

Online King Medallion

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #111 on: January 31, 2019, 08:04:29 AM »
I imagine alot don't. My 3 cats stay inside. Wildlife know what to do, people who leave their animals outside in this weather shouldn't be allowed to have them.
King Medallion

Offline scrubby2009

• Very Active Citizen
  • Lifelong obsession with '73's
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #112 on: January 31, 2019, 08:24:36 AM »
The actual work is enjoyable , but the real satisfaction I get out of it is rescueing one from extinction. If that make sense . ,,,DT
Like I've said before, if our trailer was next to your trailer when we was young'uns... we'd have been best pards. Your sentiment, sir, is exactly how I was raised as well.  And I love togglebolts in obscure calibers. Well done.
Responsive, timely, tactically accurate, and strategically precise fire.

Offline dusty texian

• Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
« Reply #113 on: January 31, 2019, 10:55:05 AM »
Thanks for the kind words Scrubby 2009 ,  I follow your thread on bringing back the old 1873 ,you being able to make the parts and actually taking the time to do it is outstanding . Bringing one back to working order by making and hand fitting the parts makes the end result even more special in my book . Look forward to seeing more of your work .,,,DT

Offline greyhawk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #114 on: January 31, 2019, 08:37:59 PM »
Greyhawk I have only built a few forearms so my set-up  is kind of crude . I purchased a drill that is .750 " and has a lead screw ahead of the cutter, that is perfect for the 1876 mag. tube with just a small amount of polishing after boring through . I did learn this , I bore the magazine hole then inlet the barrel channel by using the bored magazine hole as a guide for barrel inletting . Your set-up sounds like it would be a very accurate cut .  I am making  a forearm and butt stock now for another project a single shot Rolling Block .50 cal. oct. barrel , the wood is very hard , its Texas Mesquite burl / root stock . On this piece I have used a router and piece of angle iron for a guide to start the barrel channel , but finishing the cut with chisel and scrapers . I must admit working the wood down is enjoyable to me and I am in no hurry ( Therapy ) . I ran across this Shotgun butt 1876 stock and decided to fit it on my parts gun , looks good to me and feels great . Should finish the butt plate and final sanding then apply the stain and oil .The SGB fits with the short forearm and short rifle theme .I agree I am glad to see some of us still interested in the 1876 rifles .,,,DT

Dusty
I have only done 4 forends (maybe 5) for 92's and two buttstocks - the butts were therapy as you say - drilling that hole in the forend - pretty darn frustrating - this back before I had a mill or lathe and trying to do it with old fashioned tools I had on hand that were more in line with boring wire holes in fenceposts than working on a gun. Have got a lot more patient with this kind of work in the last five or so years - finally learnt to take as long as it takes - Grey hair slowed me in the end I guess  ;D
Made a new mgazine tube for my 45/75 a while back to eliminate the front barrel hanger - only shot it once since - looks promising but need a couple more strings shot before the jury comes back on it. Weather is cooled a bit here today - might get some powder burnt over the weekend.   

Offline dusty texian

• Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
« Reply #115 on: February 01, 2019, 05:06:08 AM »
Dusty
I re read some of this catching up with Kings last post

Always struggled with drilling the long hole to fit a magazine tube in the forend (part of the reason why the few I have made have been shorter than standard + I like the shortened forend look)

Anyway last year I bought a ball end carbide cutter off ebay (got a couple and different sizes cheap) --makes that job so easy to do - I just set the blank up in the mill vice - ya can cut the first run with an ordinary end mill, then run the ball cutter through - hole is dead straight same diameter from end to end - so easy !

Also bought a 45 degree cutter that will do the barrel inlet for an octagon - so long as you figure the vice angle right for the barrel taper -

the biggest problem with all this is cleaning the chips and sawdust off the mill after the job.

All this was after the event for me - done a forend for a 92 by hand and figured there has got to be a better way than this (extension shank for a sanding drum from a dremel tool in my electric drill).

You maybe figured how to drill that long hole with a wood bit somehow? I never did but this ball cutter works a treat  (using hard local timber didnt help the cause any but it comes up purty).

Good to see the interest in the 76's keep rolling along

Here is a circa 1892 photo. of the Dalton Gang , the Winchester has a very short forearm I think its a 1886 not sure  , I often wondered how or why ?

Online King Medallion

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #116 on: February 01, 2019, 07:52:00 AM »
I read that all the Dalton gang had brand new 1886's for that well planned raid.
King Medallion

Offline greyhawk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #117 on: February 01, 2019, 08:03:04 AM »
Here is a circa 1892 photo. of the Dalton Gang , the Winchester has a very short forearm I think its a 1886 not sure  , I often wondered how or why ?

I searched some photos that I could blow up some more - something dont look right about the rifle the way it sits in the picture - the buttstock lookes like its airborne - not sitting on the guys pants at all ?

Looks like an 86 - but that gun is real short - the short (really short!) forend kinda hides it but barrel is only about half of the entire length of the gun - I bet they cut it from the chamber end too - front magazine hanger is a rifle model - no backsight on the barrel - and cant see the old dovetail for the forend ....interesting piece -- a bit of a puzzle !

Permit arrived today - I pick up my Chiappa 86 on monday!!!

Offline dusty texian

• Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
« Reply #118 on: February 01, 2019, 08:10:32 AM »
Maybe there was a Coffinmaker with a WackSaw that lived at that time near Coffeeville  LOL.,,,,,Sorry had a hard night ,,,DT

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 636
« Reply #119 on: February 01, 2019, 09:56:15 AM »
This isn't my picture--it's just one that I found on the internet. It was identified as Grat Dalton's 1886 Winchester in.38-56.  The notation on the photo said that it is located at the Dalton Defenders Museum in Coffeyville.

Again, I can't confirm any of this. It is just stuff from the internet.

CC Griff
Manager, WT Ranch--Coal Creek Division

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
1860 Henry Rifle Shooter #173
SSS #573

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com