Author Topic: GAF Muster 2006  (Read 9417 times)

Offline Major Matt Lewis

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
GAF Muster 2006
« on: December 07, 2005, 09:30:06 AM »
Well,

This is the most difficult post that I have ever made.  It is my sad duty to report that I will not be building the GAF Match for 2006.  There are a number of personal and professional considerations that demanded to be factored into this decision. 

I will list some of them to avoid questions if this becomes a thread....

1. The 2005 event took me over 200 man hours to build it.  That breaks down to 5 weeks of 40 hour weeks.
2. There are family considerations.  I do have to draw back.
3. I felt that $80.00 per shooter was fair for what was given but was opposed to raising the cost.  The cost model for 2006 would have required me to raise the registration fee and I am not going to do that.
4. I have been given additional responsibilities professonally.  Unfortunately, I am not getting promoted, I am just not getting laid off, yet ;)  I reckon anybody in Corporate America can identify with this strange phanominon.....

I am proud of what we have done.  We have shown that GAF can be more than just a web ring where people give meaningless orders and discuss uniform details.  I am not leaving GAF or CAS (SASS or NCOWS), but I will be needing to put those 5 weeks back into my family and career in 2006.  If anybody is interested in picking up the challange, please contact me off-line and I will assist in answering questions and providing information that you may find benificial.

Thank you and I can't tell you how much this stinks typing this post.  I truly have to give up something I love.
Major Matt Lewis
Grand Army of the Frontier * SASS Life * NCOWS * Powder Creek Cowboys * Free State Ranges * RO II * NRA Life * Man on the Edge

Offline Ol Gabe

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: GAF Muster 2006
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2005, 09:55:58 AM »
Major Matt, Kind Sir,
Sorry to see your post, but know full well where you are coming from. Alas, now you become the next honorary member in the 'Been there, done that, have the T-shirt to prove it' Club, our ranks are unfortunately growing but our idealism will never be quashed.
Take these words to heart, Sir, as they come from another who has trod the same path...
"May you arise from the ashes of your troubling fire like a Phoenix,
may your wings be strong and your head held high,
may your strength be that of a strong wind to carry you far and wide,
and may your wisdom be such that you can take on anything, anytime, anywhere, with a smile."
Never fear, if it is meant to be, it will be.
Best regards and good luck!
'Ol Gabe
ENDEAVOR TO PERSEVERE

Offline RattlesnakeJack

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2005, 01:33:00 PM »
Troubling news indeed, Major Matt, though I can fully understand and sympathize with your decsion.  :(

Though I am located far from the proposed site of Muster 2006, I am certainly prepared to offer any assistance I am able to whoever may volunteer, or be chosen, to try to fill your shoes in the future.  If there is a "committee" or the like, I would be prepared to serve.

Muster is too good a thing to allow it to die now!
Rattlesnake Jack Robson, Scout, Rocky Mountain Rangers, North West Canada, 1885
Major John M. Robson, Royal Scots of Canada, 1883-1901
Sgt. John Robson, Queen's Own Rifles of Canada, 1885
Bvt. Col, Commanding International Dept. and Div.  of Canada, Grand Army of the Frontier

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 12:14:00 AM »

Offline Lone Gunman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • The Lone Gunman ...as himself
    • Lone-Gunman.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2005, 09:38:29 PM »
That is sad news indeed Matt.  You've done an outstanding job these past two years, it will be difficult, more likely impossible, to find anyone to fill your shoes....if only it was just your hat we needed to fill.  8)   Well, look at the bright side, at least you weren't replaced by some guy in Pakistan who learned English from a training dvd on convenience store management. I'd hate to think of you standing out in front of the Mega-Lo-Mart with a cardboard sign that says, "Will work for short-strokes"   ;D

Hand Salute!
Ready-two!
Cover!

George "Lone Gunman" Warnick

"...A man of notoriously vicious & intemperate disposition"

Offline Dr. Bob

• Dr. Bob
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Physician and Sporting Gent aka Bob Dorian
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2005, 11:48:44 PM »
Major Matt,

A sincere SALUTE for the hard work that made the 2005 Muster such an enjoyable event. 
Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator
HR 4
GAF 405,
NRA Life,
KGC 8.
Warthog
Motto: Clean mind  -  Clean body,   Take your pick

Offline US Scout

• Bvt MajGen GAF (Retired)
  • CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 15690
  • GAF #: 3
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 17
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2005, 05:33:49 AM »
Major and Brevet Lieutenant Colonel Matt Lewis,

On behalf of the entire GAF, please accept our thanks and gratitude for the outstanding Musters you have put on.  I realiize the decision you had to make with regard to putting on a third Muster was hard to make, but we appreciate you doing so early enough that we can find someone to fill your shoes (large though they may be). 

I hope you will help us find a replacement Muster Commander, and provide them with insight you have gained as to what is required to put on a successful and enjoyable Muster. 

You have done the Grand Army of the Frontier, and more specifically the GAF Corps of Marines, very proud.  A very large drink on me at the Sutler's.

WELL DONE!!!

US Scout
GAF Chief of Staff and
Colonel Commandant of Marines

Offline Major Matt Lewis

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2005, 09:09:29 AM »
Thanks all for the positive comments. 

LG,

YOU sir are freaking hilarious....I needed the laugh :D

Thanks
Major Matt Lewis
Grand Army of the Frontier * SASS Life * NCOWS * Powder Creek Cowboys * Free State Ranges * RO II * NRA Life * Man on the Edge

Offline Quick Fire

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2005, 11:30:23 AM »
Major Matt, I too wish to thank you for doing such an outstanding job on getting the Muster up and running. You did a damn good job and you have every right to be proud I only hope that someone is willing to step up and try to Keep the Muster alive. Thank you for your time Sir.
QuickFire                                 Lt. Colonel, Division of Nebraska                                                                                                                                                                          GRAND ARMY of the FRONTIER                                                         
NCOWS 1717

Offline Steel Horse Bailey

• Jeff "Steel Horse Bailey" - BP Warthog & C&B Shooter
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • A Master of the Sublime & Holy Order or the Soot
  • SASS #: 27463
  • NCOWS #: 1919
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2005, 12:32:09 PM »
Major Matt, SALUD!!

I wasn't able to attend the previous GAF Musters, but I have read with great interest everything about them.  You are to be congratulated and thanked for all your efforts.

"Will work for short-strokes!"  Now that's a keeper! ;)

Merry Christmas, Maj. Matt, and to all as well!!
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Offline Major Matt Lewis

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2005, 06:35:02 PM »
Good News to report.  Kayleen and Steve have agreed to step up and build the match.  So, the Muster will not die.  Not sure when the date will be, but I will be transitioning all Match Director type stuff to her over the next few days....

A BIG THANKS TO STEVE AND KAYLEEN!
Major Matt Lewis

Offline Kayleen

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2005, 08:33:45 PM »
To everyone that has been a part of GAF,
 This was the first year for me to attend and I way to much fun for this to just die out. We have the best range there is in Iowa and it needs to be used to it's maximum. As I told Major Matt, I get what I want most of the time and this was a hands down decision for us.
  The GAF shoot is one where not one person complained or flat out bitched about anything. We reloaded how many times and had a blast. Yet no complaints. We had a tall horse to climb onto, yet no complaints.
 I saw men and women that came to a shoot and to shoot lots. I can in no way fill Richard's shoes and I am not going to try to do that. I can only offer to put on the best shoot that I know how to do. You will have a variety of distances and a mix of some really different targets. I invite you to attend and share in the fun of "Muster 2006". Watch for details and Registration forms will be ready at the NCOWS Convention in February.
 My sincere thanks to Richard for the time and effort he personally put into the past 2 GAF Musters.
Kayleen

Offline US Scout

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2005, 08:58:35 PM »
Kayleen,

I'm sure Major Lewis can be put upon occasionally for suggestions, advice, and recommendations - ie, allow his experience at putting on the Muster to be drawn upon so that we can have a sense of continuity.  At the same time, having a new Muster Commandant isn't a negative - it gives us a chance to explore and try out some new ideas.  You've got the basic concept - now is the time to see what else can be accomplished.

No discredit to Major Lewis - he did a fantastic job the last two years and will be sorely missed, but now we have an opportuntity for someone else to take the lead and try out some of their ideas. 

You can consider me as already signed up for the 2006 Muster!

US Scout
GAF Chief of Staff

Offline Chantilly

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2005, 09:30:56 PM »
Major, does this mean you are a "Retired Match Director"?  One of the "wise men"?  Now you can sit back and say, "back in my day..."
and "That's not how it's done..."  Seriously, thank you for your hard work in putting together the first two Musters!  We've never experienced anything like the GAF Musters and we had a great time participating in both!   

Kayleen and Steve you have your work cut out for you!!  Thanks for stepping up to the plate.

Chantilly and Shoot'n Newton

A six-shooter makes men and women equal.  - Agnes Morley Cleaveland (1818-1889)

I should like a little fun now and then.  Life is altogether too sober.  - Elizabeth Blackwell (1821-1910)

Offline Lastcigar

• Active citizen
  • ambro by Rambow
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2005, 09:51:17 PM »
Major,
Truly sorry to see you cannot continue to run the Muster.  It was a great event, real "old Corps" style and class.  I think we all understand how hard it is to not pursue something you enjoy but "First things first" and family should always be first.  And that includes the job to keep them supplied with beans and butter.  Good luck and hopefully you will be attending the 2006 shoot.

I'm sure that the new sponsors will do an outstanding job.  I look forward to attending and hope to have at least 3 others from Illinois with me.  Will keep an eye open for the info in the Barracks.

Semper Fi
LastCigar
USMC 1966-70   Viet Nam 69-70
SASS GAF NCOWS
BOSS SSS Henry Shooter

Offline Major Matt Lewis

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2005, 09:58:07 PM »
Scout,

Kayleen is one of the few people in CAS who has my personal Cell Phone number....I think that there are 3 others, but you get the point.  We have talked quite a bit already and she has my support and confidence.  Plus, she is an absolute HOOT to be around.   I too like the idea of of bringing new blood into the Muster.  When you put on a shoot, you put quite a bit of yourself into it.  At some level, it becomes a reflection of yourself, so I fully expect a different, fun shoot, because Kayleen is just fun to be around.  I am pleased that all had a great time the past couple of years.  However, the best thing that can happen for the Muster is to get new ideas into it.  

Scout, I believe that I committed to be there before you, so maybe this year I can be shooter 1... :D

Chantilly,

I am not one to lament on the past, but look forward to the future.  I don't think "Wise Man" will be appropriate, but Maybe "Wise *&^"  ;D  I also point out that people do things differently.  I look forward to the rank of "Shooter" for a little while.  You may not know this, but I did not run for reelection the the Executive Board in the Powder Creek Cowboys for the exact same reasons.

However...If Scout wants to assist, I may allow myself to get a GAF NCOWS Posse Rolling....
Major Matt Lewis

Offline Gripmaker

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2005, 11:11:27 PM »
Major Matt,   Count me in for the 2006 Muster also and will again sponsor Banquet.  Last two Musters have been GREAT and your input will defintely be sorely missed. Am looking forward to some Iowegian input for sure. Born there, raised there and got the $@%* out of there as fast as my Little (pun intended) legs could carry me south.

Larry Little aka Gripmaker

Offline US Scout

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2005, 04:44:54 AM »
However...If Scout wants to assist, I may allow myself to get a GAF NCOWS Posse Rolling....

I'm planning to attend the NCOWS Convention in February to discuss this very issue with their leadership.  Perhaps we can do a tag-team on them.

US Scout
GAF Chief of Staff

Offline Ol Gabe

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2005, 09:08:40 AM »
'Ol Gabe & The Gary L. Strand Family are looking forward to sponsoring the GAF MUSTER again in 2006 and hope that all attending have a safe trip out and back!
Best regards and good shooting!
'Ol Gabe
Proud Family Sponsors of CVR's STRAND'S STAND MID & LONG RANGE SHOOTS, the GAF MUSTER and the BILLY DIXON LONG RANGE SHOOT held annually in New South Wales, Australia. We encourage and support Historical Shooting Sports worldwide!

Offline Trap

• NCOWS
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • John Torrence
  • NCOWS #: 851
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2005, 09:15:20 AM »
  So MM does this mean I should feel special??
                                                                   jt
Aggressive fighting for the Right is the noblest sport the world affords. T. Roosevelt
NRA Patron/Life Member
  NCOWS #851, Senator
Proud Member of the KVC
 Hiram's Rangers, founder
GAF # 328
  TAPS #26
NAOOTB #688

Offline Major Matt Lewis

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2005, 10:18:09 AM »
Trap,

I thought you already felt special, however, if by the fact you have my personal mobile, than absolutely....
Major Matt Lewis

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com