Author Topic: 2010 DOMM (From the Commissary Dept)  (Read 9380 times)

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
2010 DOMM (From the Commissary Dept)
« on: March 22, 2010, 06:52:38 PM »
OK, Rick and I are starting to do some planning for meals.  Right now our plan is to arrive in the afternoon Wed and get unloaded and set up.  I'm sure we're going to have quite a few show up on Thursday and will have something planned for supper that night for those, as we get closer let me know if you will be there Thur. night. 

We'll do 3 meals on Fri and Sat and 2 on Sun. 

As always if anyone has any suggestions as to what they'd like to see or have anything they can't eat, speak up.  For those who have not eaten with the GAF Comminssary Dept. before, the meals will be filling,  breakfast will be hearty, the noon meal will most likely be a stew of some sort, bread of some sort and dessert.  Supper will be a main dish, bread and dessert, with some sort of a side dish or two.  Leftovers from the previous meal will be reheated and offered also. 

My food is as period correct as modern groceries will allow, everything will be made from scratch.  Unless anyone really has problems, butter and lard will be used, most folks don't have a problem eating like that once in a while.  But if anyone does have heath reasons why they should not, let me know and will cover you.  Same thing with food allergies, I understand, for such reasons there will be no dishes with Blu Cheese in them, not only can the cook not eat them, even touching that damned moldy cheese can cause problems which would require someone else to finish the meal cause when we head to town I'm takin' the Corpsman with me. ;D
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 474
Re: 2010 DOMM (From the Commissary Dept)
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2010, 08:15:53 PM »
So, what you're saying is there's not going to be any Bleu Cheese for the salad again this year?

"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline Charles Isaac

• Grand Army of the Frontier
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2010, 07:07:03 AM »
That all sounds like some more fine dining to me!  I have been craving a nice chunk of beef pot roast with vegetables, all seared up in lard or bacon fat.

The rancid cheese was definitely not on my wish list!

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 07:00:37 PM »

Offline Texas Lawdog

• NCOWS Senator "Old School" Cop
  • Top Active Citizen
  • " We're all Here because We're not all There".
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2010, 10:46:02 AM »
Del has my approval to fix anything he wants to. I have sampled most of the items that he prepares on a regular basis. It is all excellent. I can live without the Blu Cheese for a weekend.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2010, 04:44:42 PM »
That all sounds like some more fine dining to me!  I have been craving a nice chunk of beef pot roast with vegetables, all seared up in lard or bacon fat.

The rancid cheese was definitely not on my wish list!

OK, one vote for pot roast.  Always goes over good, just seems to me like I fix it to often.

Any one up to trying a Czech dish with kraut sweetened with brown sugar and tater dumplin's on top.  Has always went over good.  Gopher Grease used to call it out "I don't like kraut but I'll gladly take seconds" dish. ;D
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2010, 07:23:42 PM »
Del, I'm up for it!
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline Charles Isaac

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2010, 08:07:30 PM »
Any one up to trying a Czech dish with kraut sweetened with brown sugar and tater dumplin's on top. 
I would like to try some of that and it sounds like it would go good with pork and some of that Czech rye. I'm not much for sauerkraut plain out of the barrel, but if you will spruce it up some, I like it very much.

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2010, 10:46:55 PM »
Anything that Del prepares is going to be good, I guarantee!

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2010, 09:42:22 AM »
I would like to try some of that and it sounds like it would go good with pork and some of that Czech rye. I'm not much for sauerkraut plain out of the barrel, but if you will spruce it up some, I like it very much.

Woops, I meant it is cooked with pork in it. ;D
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2010, 09:45:15 AM »
Oh, and don't tell Mustang Greg we're gonna have that with Czech rye bread, I think we might get a visit from a black helly-copter if he finds out.  He'd also be expectin' a kolatch or two also.  Then he'd want jandernice and eggs for breakfast. ;)
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2010, 09:48:58 AM »
Del, Now you're trying to "spoil" him!

Offline Mustang Gregg

• .44 BP GUNFIGHTER
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • LtCol Mustang Gregg & Col Pitspitr at NE CSG 2007
    • Wild West Arms
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2010, 04:54:46 PM »
 ;D
Jadernice and eggs?   Oh, hell yes...I may go AWOL for that.
"I have two guns.  {CLICK--CLICK}  One for each of ya."
  BACK FROM AFGHANISTAN!!
"Mustang Gregg" Clement-----NRA LIFER, since '72-----SASS Life & Territorial Governor-----GAF #64-----RATS #0 & Forum Moderator-----BP Warthog------Distinguished Pistol 2004------SAIROC & MMTC Instructor-----Owner of Wild West Arms, Inc. [gun shop] Table Rock, NE------CASTIN' & BLASTIN'!!!!
www.wildwestarms.net

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2010, 05:00:13 PM »
;D
Jadernice and eggs?   Oh, hell yes...I may go AWOL for that.

Do you guys make it or would you rather I get it from Ron, Shusters or should I make a run to Wilbur and hit Karpisecis (sp)?  The best was from Wahoo, but a guy I used to work with Mom made some awful good stuff.

BTW don't tell them what's in it, some of these guys are a bit squeamish.
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2010, 07:44:17 PM »
Del, I know anything that you cook up is going to be good.

Offline Pitspitr

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • 308 214-0082 45551 Rd 816, Sargent NE 68874 USA
  • SASS #: 74523
  • NCOWS #: L187
  • GAF #: 147
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2010, 09:27:25 PM »
Oh man, Jadernice? I'll take mine with toast!

Kenedlicke and Zally? (Sauerkraut & Dumplings) another one of my favorites!

I'm lucky to be alive over Sauerkraut & Dumplings. One year my wife and mother-in-law were discussing who was bring what to Christmas dinner. My mother-in-law said she'd bring the Sauerkraut & Dumplings. I said, "Oh, let Cathy bring the Sauerkraut & Dumplings. Her's are.... better...than...(by this time I new I'd screwed up, but it was too late to not finish) yours." I ducked, anticipating the coming impact. When it didn't materialize I looked up as she pleasantly just said Oh, Ok. and from then on Cathy made (makes) the Sauerkraut & Dumplings for family diners. Lord this makes me miss Lucille again.:'( :'( She was a wonderful woman!
I remain, Your Ob'd Servant,
Jerry M. "Pitspitr" Davenport
(Bvt.)Brigadier General Commanding,
Grand Army of the Frontier
BC/IT, Expert, Sharpshooter, Marksman, CC, SoM
NRA CRSO, RVWA IIT2; SASS ROI, ROII;
NRA Benefactor Life; AZSA Life; NCOWS Life

Offline Pitspitr

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • 308 214-0082 45551 Rd 816, Sargent NE 68874 USA
  • SASS #: 74523
  • NCOWS #: L187
  • GAF #: 147
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2010, 09:33:14 PM »
Do you guys make it or would you rather I get it from Ron, Shusters or should I make a run to Wilbur and hit Karpisecis (sp)?  The best was from Wahoo, but a guy I used to work with Mom made some awful good stuff.

BTW don't tell them what's in it, some of these guys are a bit squeamish.

My in-laws always made their own. One time my Dad killed 3 hogs and my Father-in-Law asked if Dad were going to use the heads and livers. When dad said no Julius told dad he'd split the jaternice with dad if he could have the heads and livers. We stuffed casings until about 4 in the morning that night. Thankfully we didn't have  jaternice for breakfast that morning. I don't think I could have handled it that soon.
I remain, Your Ob'd Servant,
Jerry M. "Pitspitr" Davenport
(Bvt.)Brigadier General Commanding,
Grand Army of the Frontier
BC/IT, Expert, Sharpshooter, Marksman, CC, SoM
NRA CRSO, RVWA IIT2; SASS ROI, ROII;
NRA Benefactor Life; AZSA Life; NCOWS Life

Offline Steel Horse Bailey

• Jeff "Steel Horse Bailey" - BP Warthog & C&B Shooter
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • A Master of the Sublime & Holy Order or the Soot
  • SASS #: 27463
  • NCOWS #: 1919
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2010, 07:15:17 AM »
Hell, I'm hungry already!
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2010, 07:49:54 AM »
Some of Del's Bisquits and Sausage gravy would hit the spot this morning, with a steaming pot of Arbuckle's on the fire.

Offline Mustang Gregg

• .44 BP GUNFIGHTER
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • LtCol Mustang Gregg & Col Pitspitr at NE CSG 2007
    • Wild West Arms
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2010, 11:25:52 AM »
 ;D ;D
I'm really hungry now.  But dammit, I can't be there.  :'( :'(
But I can send out some venison sausage and fresh lard with Delmonico.

Col MG
"I have two guns.  {CLICK--CLICK}  One for each of ya."
  BACK FROM AFGHANISTAN!!
"Mustang Gregg" Clement-----NRA LIFER, since '72-----SASS Life & Territorial Governor-----GAF #64-----RATS #0 & Forum Moderator-----BP Warthog------Distinguished Pistol 2004------SAIROC & MMTC Instructor-----Owner of Wild West Arms, Inc. [gun shop] Table Rock, NE------CASTIN' & BLASTIN'!!!!
www.wildwestarms.net

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2010, 11:34:00 AM »
MG, I will do my best to make sure we don't have too many leftovers.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com