Author Topic: Little help.....44spl or. 45 colt  (Read 5365 times)

Offline TrueGrit

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Little help.....44spl or. 45 colt
« on: July 26, 2013, 05:56:22 PM »
Ok guys, Im in the market for a new pistol and want a Ruger Single Action. This will be my 1st cowboy shooter. I. Dont reload and in all honesty Im a small gut 5'5" and 140lbs. So what wou be more manageable for me athe most fun to shot. Im also goning to buy a lever in the same cartridge down the road.

Offline Pay Dirt Norvelle

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
Re: Little help.....44spl or. 45 colt
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2013, 10:34:37 PM »
I wopuld suggest that if it is possible to shoot each of the calibers and see which one feels best to you.  I shoot 45Colt in both my Rugers and Rifle and have no problem with cowboy loads.  I am 5'8" & weigh 180 so I am somewhat larger though. 
PAY DIRT NORVELLE
SASS #90056
NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER
COYOTE VALLEY COWBOYS #37
RATS #650

Offline Shotgun Franklin

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2013, 08:40:09 AM »
Over the years I used both rounds. It seems that loaded ammo in .45 is easier to find and so many CAS Shooters use it that it's easier on the budget. BTW, reloading is not hard to do and every penny I've spend on reloading equipment has paid for itself a thousand times over.
Yes, I do have more facial hair now.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 03:12:08 AM »

Offline D-Hansen

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2013, 10:26:50 AM »
If you do not reload and have no plans to start, then 45Colt is easier to find factory loading ammunition, and have more variety.   If you think you may start to reload I would suggest looking into the possibility of the 44-40.    I like the 44-40 due to its bottle neck cartridge configuration.  If you do not plan on reloading the 44-40 is expensive and harder to find.   The 45colt is more suited to the 250gr. bullets, the 44-40 is a good round with the 200gr bullets.  I have tried lighter in the 45colt and heavier in the 44-40, but keep going back to those two weights.  If you know reloading is not in the plans then go for the 45colt.  If you like being a little different than the others try the 44sp.

D-hansen
D-Hansen

Offline Shotgun Franklin

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2013, 01:28:07 PM »
BTW, if it matters, the .45 Colt was actually used during the Old West period. The .44 Spl wasn't developed until 1903.
Yes, I do have more facial hair now.

Offline Trailrider

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Gunfighter Zone
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2013, 04:12:02 PM »
BTW, if it matters, the .45 Colt was actually used during the Old West period. The .44 Spl wasn't developed until 1903.
True. However, the direct predicessor of the .44 Special was the .44 Russian.  Ballistically, they were very similar, except for the Russian being loaded with black powder and the .44 Spl loaded with smokeless powder.  The .44 special might give lighter recoil for you, but if you don't reload yourself, it will probably be more difficult to find a ready supply of .44 Special factory ammo.

While it might not conjour up the Old West image, the .38 Long Colt was used back then. Its descendent is the .38 Special and the longer .357 Magnum. You can shoot .38 Spl. (and even the .38 LC) in guns chambered for .357 Magnum. Logistically, if you don't reload, factory .38 Spl ammo will be cheaper and more readily available. A rifle chambered in .357 Magnum will probably require the longer cartridge for reliable feeding, unless a longer lead bullet loaded in a .38 Spl. case is available. Since the New Model Ruger Vaquero is chambered in .357, that would seem to be a good choice for you.
Ride to the sound of the guns, but watch out for bushwhackers! Godspeed to all in harm's way in the defense of Freedom! God Bless America!

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Bvt. Lt. Col. Commanding,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2013, 11:02:01 AM »
Rugers in .44 Special are scarce as they are not terribly popular.  if you ever decide to sell the gun the .45 will be much easier to sell.  There just isn't much of a market for the .44 Special.  if you are 5'5", 140 pounds and don't reload you should look at getting a .357 and shoot .38s in it. 

Offline Frank V

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2013, 12:53:43 PM »
That really is a tough choice.
 Both are great cartridges. You said you would like a matching rifle in the future.
That being the case I think I'd go with the .44 Special & later get a rifle in .44 Mag (which will also take .44 Specials) the rifle in .44 Mag would be a bit easier to find I think. Lots of folks are down on Marlin right now, but I've looked at a LOT of newer ones this past year & I'm seeing a huge improvement over the guns of two years ago.
   If you wanted to hunt with them there are a lot of good hunting loads on the market. I'm seeing more & more ammo now too.
The .45 Colt ammo, I think, would be easier to find right now, but I think the .44 Special will be easier in the future.
  Good luck, lot's to choose from.
U.S.A. RIDE FOR THE BRAND OR LEAVE!

S.W. Montana

Offline Mean Bob Mean

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2013, 08:27:15 PM »
Ok guys, Im in the market for a new pistol and want a Ruger Single Action. This will be my 1st cowboy shooter. I. Dont reload and in all honesty Im a small gut 5'5" and 140lbs. So what wou be more manageable for me athe most fun to shot. Im also goning to buy a lever in the same cartridge down the road.

Reduced recoil loads are available in the .45 that make it a joy to shoot.
"We tried a desperate game and lost. But we are rough men used to rough ways, and we will abide by the consequences."
- Cole Younger

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com