Author Topic: Vaquero Cylinder  (Read 13492 times)

Offline 8905c

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Vaquero Cylinder
« on: April 21, 2012, 10:23:09 AM »
I recently purchased an OM Bisley Vaquero in .45 Colt. The gun appears to be an earlier version (58-31xxx). After I got the gun home, I noticed by looking at the flutes on the outside of the cylinder, it appeared the cylinder was not lined up with the barrel when the gun was in full cock position. Upon closer inspection, the actual holes in the cylinder are lining up properly with the barrel, but the flutes on the cylinder are off in relation to the holes in the cylinder. I realize the flutes should be between the cylinders, but on the cylinder I have, the flutes are not exactly between the cylinders. When I look down on the gun from above, the flutes being off make it look like the cylinder is rotated and not properly lined up with the barrel.
I have a couple of Blackhawks and a couple of Ubertis and the flutes on the cylinder line up exactly in between the holes in the cylinder, as they should. 
Has anyone else seen this problem with Ruger revolver cylinders?
8905c

Offline yeti76620

• Reverend Sassquatch Dawg
  • Top Active Citizen
  • It's a good day to die....
  • Liked:
Re: Vaquero Cylinder
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2012, 11:18:05 AM »
That # indicates that this piece was made late 2002 or early 2003..... So is my pair of the same in SS.

As I look at the cylinder the flute and the cartridge wall being "off" would create a very thin wall and it might be a potential dangerous situation...  :o

I believe that Bisley needs to "Get Home to Mama" for some Home Style Care.....  :D  :D  :D

Yeti
NRA LIFE Member     SASS #76620     SCAA #1    RATS #480    OUTLAW

“Lord, make me accurate, my aim true, and my hand faster than those who would do harm to me and mine. Let not my last thought be "If only I had my gun"; finally Lord, if today is truly the day that You call me home, let me die in a pile of empty brass.” ...... Amen

http://www.nationalgunrights.org/
CONTACT YOUR POLITICIANS: http://www.ruger.com/micros/advocacy/takeAction.html

Offline Mustang Gregg

• .44 BP GUNFIGHTER
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • LtCol Mustang Gregg & Col Pitspitr at NE CSG 2007
    • Wild West Arms
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2012, 08:34:45 PM »
I think Yeti is exactly right on the send it to Ruger reply.  I definately would!  They will fix it.
I'm guessing it has been fired.  Have you shot it?

How far are the flutes off from where they should be in relation to the chambers?

I've seen it noticebly before (BUT NOT ON A RUGER) on one of them early 1900's cheap-ass latch-top double action revolvers.  Recollect it was in .32 S&W caliber.  ::) 

MG

"I have two guns.  {CLICK--CLICK}  One for each of ya."
  BACK FROM AFGHANISTAN!!
"Mustang Gregg" Clement-----NRA LIFER, since '72-----SASS Life & Territorial Governor-----GAF #64-----RATS #0 & Forum Moderator-----BP Warthog------Distinguished Pistol 2004------SAIROC & MMTC Instructor-----Owner of Wild West Arms, Inc. [gun shop] Table Rock, NE------CASTIN' & BLASTIN'!!!!
www.wildwestarms.net

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 08:43:59 AM »

Offline 8905c

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2012, 02:51:22 PM »
MG -

The gun has been fired, probably quite a bit, but not by me. I recently acquired it used and just haven't had a chance to fire it. Something additional, the cylinder has tight throats and needs to be reamed. I don't want to spend the money to have the throats reamed on a defective cylinder.
Do you know if the current production Ruger cylinders in .45 Colt have the throats sized correctly? If Ruger replaces the cylinder, I hope I won't need to have it reamed. The finish on the gun has been "aged". Actually, I like the looks of it. I am wondering if Ruger replaces the cylinder, if the cylinder will be freshly blued or if they could leave it in the white to more closely match the gun.
I am surprised that Ruger would send out a gun with this defect. There are pictures of it posted on the Ruger Forum - Ruger Revolvers - Cyl. pics. for 8509c Vaq.
8905c

Offline Mustang Gregg

• .44 BP GUNFIGHTER
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Wild West Arms
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2012, 02:31:12 AM »
The chambers have tight throats?  It's a .45 Colt, right?  Do factory loaded cartridges fall right in? 
The last couple I checked were .451" to .452", with most being the latter.  But never any looser.  ???
What are yours measuring?  What does the bore slug?

If you are getting a new cylinder fitted at Ruger, I would not even worry about that you have at present.

As far as sending it back and the finish, Ruger may just reblue the whole 'shooter to new blue color.  They have for me on a couple of occasions.  You can always ask.

Keep us posted on what goes.

Mustang
  BACK FROM AFGHANISTAN!!
"Mustang Gregg" Clement-----NRA LIFER, since '72-----SASS Life & Territorial Governor-----GAF #64-----RATS #0 & Forum Moderator-----BP Warthog------Distinguished Pistol 2004------SAIROC & MMTC Instructor-----Owner of Wild West Arms, Inc. [gun shop] Table Rock, NE------CASTIN' & BLASTIN'!!!!
www.wildwestarms.net

Offline Danny Bear Claw

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2012, 09:04:16 AM »
I concur with the above...  send it back to Ruger.   8)
SASS #5273 Life.   NRA Life member.  RATS # 136.   "We gladly feast on those who would subdue us".

Offline Tall Dark Slim

• Talkative and generally full of it, but harmless nonetheless.
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Carolina Gunslinger
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2012, 06:00:28 AM »
I think Yeti is exactly right on the send it to Ruger reply.  I definately would!  They will fix it.
I'm guessing it has been fired.  Have you shot it?

How far are the flutes off from where they should be in relation to the chambers?

I've seen it noticebly before (BUT NOT ON A RUGER) on one of them early 1900's cheap-ass latch-top double action revolvers.  Recollect it was in .32 S&W caliber.  ::) 

MG

There was a new Smith and Wesson SSR six shot running around with seven shot flutes in its cylinder. Modern revo with QC issues.

Offline Mustang Gregg

• .44 BP GUNFIGHTER
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Wild West Arms
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2012, 08:12:35 PM »
Can you post a pic of it from the business end?

MG
  BACK FROM AFGHANISTAN!!
www.wildwestarms.net

Offline 8905c

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2012, 01:24:19 AM »
MG -

There are pictures of it posted on the Ruger Forum - under Ruger Revolvers - select Cyl. pics. for 8509c Vaq.

8905c

Offline rickk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2012, 03:31:42 PM »
MG -

Do you know if the current production Ruger cylinders in .45 Colt have the throats sized correctly?

Ruger has changed the way they ream the throats.

They used to do it three at a time, meaning 3 different reamers were used to cut the cylinder.

They now do it one at a time.

I recently got a pair of New Vaqueros and all 12 throats measured almost dead nuts at .452 as far as I could measure by passing different sized bullets thru it.

Offline 8905c

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2012, 06:17:22 PM »
Rick -

Thanks for the reply.
I have sent the gun to Ruger to hopefully have the cylinder replaced. It is good to hear that the cylinder throats coming out of Ruger are now OK.
8905c

Offline rickk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2012, 11:27:41 AM »
8905c,

just gotta point out though that there is no guarantee that if they replace the cylinder that they will replace it with one made recently. They may have an inventory of replacement parts made back when that model was in production.

Let us know what happens!

Offline 8905c

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2012, 05:47:12 PM »
Rick -

Good point. I will check the throats when I get the gun back.

8905c

Offline 8905c

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2012, 07:17:07 PM »
Rick -

I just received my Vaquero back from Ruger. They replaced the cylinder and you are right, the throats are tight. Look to be about .451 - .4515. Must have been a cylinder they had in inventory for a period of time. But, the flutes are in the proper location.
The saga continues.
8905c

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2012, 08:36:48 PM »
Actually, sounds like the throats are correct considering the bores are .451- .452.

Offline Trailrider

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Gunfighter Zone
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2012, 10:52:28 PM »
Should work fine with .452" bullets. But you could also try .454, IF you can get rounds loaded with same into the chambers.
Ride to the sound of the guns, but watch out for bushwhackers! Godspeed to all in harm's way in the defense of Freedom! God Bless America!

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Bvt. Lt. Col. Commanding,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF

Offline Danny Bear Claw

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2012, 08:00:39 AM »
Yup...  what that dinasaur Trailrider said.   ;D
SASS #5273 Life.   NRA Life member.  RATS # 136.   "We gladly feast on those who would subdue us".

Offline 8905c

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2012, 03:37:33 PM »
The throats in my .45 Colt Blackhawk are at .4525. It shoots great. I bought this gun used, so I have no idea if the throats have been reamed.
8906c

Offline 8905c

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2012, 08:13:56 PM »
I tried my Vaquero with the new replacement cylinder from Ruger. As I stated in my earlier post, the throats seemed tight. I had a couple of different handloads that I tried, but my groups weren't great.
I sent the cylinder off to Cylindersmith for reaming. I got it back about a week ago and had an opportunity to try it out today. With the same handloads I had tried in the cylinder before reaming, my groups were much improved. Reaming the throats to .4525 definitely made a big difference in this gun.
8905c

Offline Pappy Myles

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2012, 09:52:19 AM »
My OM cylinders checked out something like .4505.  Very tight bor a barrel that is .452.  The groups were all over the place.  I had the cylinders opened to .452 and boy did the groups tighten up.  one was made in 01 and the other in 04
NRA Patron Member
NRA Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer
TSRA Life Member
USMC Vet
Dirty RAT # 308
Life SASS # 59784 ROI and ROII

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com