Author Topic: The 7th, Were They Combat Ready?  (Read 19174 times)

Offline Fiddler Green

• Top Active Citizen
  • Defender of all things fun!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: The 7th, Were They Combat Ready?
« Reply #60 on: October 23, 2010, 10:07:21 AM »
Kinda reminds me of another military debacle on October 25, 1854 at a place called Balaclava. 'Half a league, Half a league, Half a league onward...'

Well, you might want to read about what acctually happened at Balaclava. It's an interesting story, more then a poem or a movie........

Offline Drayton Calhoun

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #61 on: October 26, 2010, 08:15:11 AM »
Well, you might want to read about what acctually happened at Balaclava. It's an interesting story, more then a poem or a movie........
Oh, I have read a bit. Classic example of what happens when a commission is bought. Money cannot buy leadership abilty or experience. Also shows what happens when ego and blind obedience collide. Look at the War Between the States, many times an individual that couldn't get into the military raised a volunteer unit and suddenly was a combat commander.
  Incidentially, from what I have read, the majority of the casualties were inflicted after the force abandoned the cannons and headed back to their lines. Misunderstanding orders and not being able to capitalize on unexpected victories often leads to defeat.
The first step of becoming a good shooter is knowing which end the bullet comes out of and being on the other end.

Offline Fiddler Green

• Top Active Citizen
  • Defender of all things fun!
  • Liked:
« Reply #62 on: November 07, 2010, 07:54:40 PM »
Oh, I have read a bit. Classic example of what happens when a commission is bought. Money cannot buy leadership abilty or experience. Also shows what happens when ego and blind obedience collide. Look at the War Between the States, many times an individual that couldn't get into the military raised a volunteer unit and suddenly was a combat commander.
  Incidentially, from what I have read, the majority of the casualties were inflicted after the force abandoned the cannons and headed back to their lines. Misunderstanding orders and not being able to capitalize on unexpected victories often leads to defeat.

Again, it's a bit of history that would have ramifications on Europe for the next 100 years. Nothing to do with the War between the states. Lord FitzRoy Somerset (Lord Ragland) was a well trained and expierenced officer with more then his share of combat before the Crimean War.

Bruce

Advertising

« Reply #63 on: Today at 04:39:02 PM »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com