Author Topic: Original 1876 rear sight question.  (Read 882 times)

Offline JustinGr

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Original 1876 rear sight question.
« on: March 29, 2020, 05:18:01 PM »
Good afternoon,

While we all survive the madness going around us, I hope to tap the collective wisdom while we are all captive.

I am restoring an original 1876, and I need a rear sight. My reading says I need a semi-buckhorn that is 3 3/32 Inches long, but this does not help me identify which one I need to find. While this is an Express 1876, I?m not sure this one would have had the Express sight, so thinking I just need to find a proper semi-buckhorn. If it helps, the sight notch is about 5? forward of the receiver.

Can someone help me with what I need to know in order to buy the proper version? Maybe a picture or some other way to cut through all the options Ebay and other sites have.

I just got everything back from Mike Hunter, who did a fantastic job with the CCH and traditional rust blue on the barrel and magazine tube. I am finishing the million day oil rub finish regimen on the stock.

Any help and advice is appreciated. It?s my only missing piece to this puzzle.

Justin

Offline Boone May

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Very Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 5904
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
Re: Original 1876 rear sight question.
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2020, 03:00:09 PM »
Sorry for the long delay on replying, hope your project is not held up.  Most of the original 1876 Express I have seen either have the sporting rear sight, or the sporting leaf rear sight.   I have previously owned a late production 1876 Express rifle that had the Express rear sight. 

Please see the photo that shows a reprint of an Winchester catalog from the late 1880's.   Note the Express, sporting and sporting leaf sights.   The sporting rear sight needs an elevator to go with it.  These are sometimes missing.

Do a search on eBay for Winchester rear sights.  It can be a bit overwhelming.  Don't count on dealers to know what they have.

"There are a few things they didn't tell me when I hired on with this outfit."

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com