Author Topic: Got an original Winchester 1876 - share pics!  (Read 220907 times)

Offline Grizzly Adams

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
Re: Got an original Winchester 1876 - share pics!
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2008, 10:26:51 AM »
Grizzly,
That's a great '76.  Who did the restoration? The earlier thumbprint dust cover guns are getting harder to find.  If I have time this afternoon, I have some photos of one of my deluxe guns that I'll try to post.  Keep the photos coming boys.

Adios,
Buck

I wish I knew! :)
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Veteran!
COMNAVFORV, NRA life, SASS Life, TG, STORM Rider #36.
GAF

Offline Buck Stinson

• Top Active Citizen
    • Old West Reproductions, Inc.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2008, 07:12:54 PM »
Here are some pics of my favorite '76 deluxe sporting rifle.  This one is listed with octagon barrel 28",  case colored receiver, 3X checkered stock,  rifle butt, sling and swivels, set trigger, long range tang and globe front sight.  Shipped from the warehouse in 1880.   These photos also show the original 5 piece cleaning rod in the butt, as well as a complete set of early Winchester reloading implements and an original box of Winchester .45-60 WCF ammunition.  This gun came from the family of the original owner.  I've owned it now for about 11 years.

Buck

Offline Grizzly Adams

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2008, 08:54:20 PM »
Buck that is a beautiful rifle, absolutely stunning. :)  Really shows the pride and craftsmanship that when into the model of 1876.  Thanks for sharing that one with us.  It is rare to see such a fine example. :)

I  like that long range tang sight with the thick base. 
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Veteran!
GAF

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 07:37:27 AM »

Offline OKDEE

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2008, 08:26:04 AM »
I agree with Griz!  ;D Beautiful rifle, Buck!  Your a mighty lucky fellow!
Oklahoma Dee

Offline Buck Stinson

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2008, 09:09:23 AM »
Thanks fella's.  I knew when I found it, I had to have it.  I sold off a dandy early open top'76 and an early 1st model '73 to get it.  Once I brought it home, I had no regrets.  It has a mint bore and it's a great shooter.  In the next few days, I'll post pics of a .45-75 WCF standard sporting rifle that is near new.

Keep the photos coming, boys.

Adios,
Buck

Offline Snake River James

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2008, 10:11:24 AM »
Beautiful rifle Buck!  I can see why you had to have it.   You already have the information on my rifle, by the way.

Grizz, my rifle shoots very well, but then it should, as the barrel is new (just "antiqued" on the outside).  The previous owner had it rebarreled (Douglas) in the original .45-60 of the old barrel.  I have the old barrel, so the rifle could be restored to original condition.  The bore is pretty rough, which is why the previous owner rebarreled it.

Offline Grizzly Adams

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2008, 04:38:03 PM »

Grizz, my rifle shoots very well, but then it should, as the barrel is new (just "antiqued" on the outside).  The previous owner had it rebarreled (Douglas) in the original .45-60 of the old barrel.  I have the old barrel, so the rifle could be restored to original condition.  The bore is pretty rough, which is why the previous owner rebarreled it.

Well, he did a pretty good job on the antiquing of the Douglas barrel, as it sure is not apparent, at least in the picture. :)  A good solution, and one that can be reversed if need be.  I had toyed with that idea myself, but then the replicas became available. :)
GAF

Offline Grizzly Adams

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2008, 03:33:44 PM »
Here are some pics of my original 45-60.  Pretty nice metal, mostly gone to plume.  Action is very tight.  Original cleaning rods in the butt trap.  Wish I knew who "BP" was! ;)

GAF

Offline Buck Stinson

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2008, 05:15:13 PM »
Beautiful rifle, Grizzly.  Guns in this condition really excite me.  What am I talking about; a '73 or '76 in any condition excites me.  It sure would be nice to know who carved the initials in the stock.  I was noticing the ears on the rear sight.  They appear to be a bitt taller than standard.  Do you think the sight was altered by a frontier gunsmith?

Adios,
Buck

Offline Grizzly Adams

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2008, 06:09:59 PM »
Beautiful rifle, Grizzly.  Guns in this condition really excite me.  What am I talking about; a '73 or '76 in any condition excites me.  It sure would be nice to know who carved the initials in the stock.  I was noticing the ears on the rear sight.  They appear to be a bitt taller than standard.  Do you think the sight was altered by a frontier gunsmith?

Adios,
Buck

Quick eye! :)  I believe you are correct.  Note the graft in the pics :)

GAF

Offline Buck Stinson

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2008, 07:00:38 PM »
WOW!!! That's a dandy.  The gunsmith that did the work, really knew what he was doing.  No hack job their.  What a great find on a gun like this.   I  collect vintage sights, mostly Winchester.  I have around 150 great original and frontier altered barrel sights.  The altered sights are always a great find, especially if they were done professionaly.  A friend of mine has a set of Freund sights on an 1876 rifle he owns.  The rear sight is an original long leaf but with Freund More Light improvments and the front sight is a standard More Light knife blade.   They are the prettiest barrel sights I have ever seen.  Both are Freund marked and appear to have been done in either the Cheyenne or Durango shop.

Adios,
Buck 

Offline OKDEE

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: February 05, 2008, 08:54:35 AM »
Griz, another great looker!    ;)  One of these days I will be getting something like that! 

Do you know, where on the CASCity area, that I can post a gun for sale?  I have that Chaparral NWMP carbine that is a really good one.  I just prefer to shoot and (work on)  with the Chaparral short rifle.

Oklahoma Dee

Offline Grizzly Adams

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: February 05, 2008, 09:35:39 AM »
WOW!!! That's a dandy.  The gunsmith that did the work, really knew what he was doing.  No hack job their.  What a great find on a gun like this.   I  collect vintage sights, mostly Winchester.  I have around 150 great original and frontier altered barrel sights.  The altered sights are always a great find, especially if they were done professionaly.  A friend of mine has a set of Freund sights on an 1876 rifle he owns.  The rear sight is an original long leaf but with Freund More Light improvments and the front sight is a standard More Light knife blade.   They are the prettiest barrel sights I have ever seen.  Both are Freund marked and appear to have been done in either the Cheyenne or Durango shop.

Adios,
Buck 

Now that is a find!  I really like the Freund More Light sights.  I am surprised that someone has not seen fit to reproduce them.  Too much interest in glass nowdays, I guess! :)
GAF

Offline Buck Stinson

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: February 05, 2008, 10:34:43 AM »
Grizzly,
The Freund More Light sights are being reproduced.  I saw some a few years back at the Colorado Arms Collectors show in Denver.  They were then and I believe still are made in the Ukrain.  They are top notch all the way.  I bought a set for a Trapdoor sporting rifle that I was building and they work great.  Buffalo Arms in Sandpoint, Id., has them in their catalog.  They come as a set, front knife blade and rear buckhorn and sell for around $135.00.  The set I bought fit a 3/8" Winchester dovetail.  Hope this will help.

Adios,
Buck

Offline Grizzly Adams

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: February 05, 2008, 05:33:28 PM »
Grizzly,
The Freund More Light sights are being reproduced.  I saw some a few years back at the Colorado Arms Collectors show in Denver.  They were then and I believe still are made in the Ukrain.  They are top notch all the way.  I bought a set for a Trapdoor sporting rifle that I was building and they work great.  Buffalo Arms in Sandpoint, Id., has them in their catalog.  They come as a set, front knife blade and rear buckhorn and sell for around $135.00.  The set I bought fit a 3/8" Winchester dovetail.  Hope this will help.

Adios,
Buck

Must be gettin old! :D  Been to that site (Buffalo Arms) a zillion times and never noticed those!  Thanks for the heads up! :)
GAF

Offline Zip Wyatt

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: February 27, 2008, 11:19:43 AM »
My RCMP:

In pretty good shape - these had a hard life.

Zip
So what else is on your mind besides hundred-proof women, 'n' ninety-proof whiskey, 'n' fourteen-carat gold?

Offline Buck Stinson

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: February 27, 2008, 12:13:59 PM »
Zip,
I remember that gun.  I'm glad you were able to pick it up.  The Mountie carbines are as rare as they get and yours is in much better condition than most.  Thanks for letting us take a look.

Adios,
Buck

Offline Grizzly Adams

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: February 27, 2008, 12:45:38 PM »
Zip, thanks for posting the pics.  What a grand old Warrior!  Arms that "worked for a living" and show their history are so much more interesting than "closet guns." :)

By the by guys, I have made this thread a sticky so it don't get pushed to the bottom! ;D
GAF

Offline Buck Stinson

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: March 03, 2008, 06:54:55 PM »
Well, I thought I'd through another one in the mix.  This is one of my original .40-60's.  This gun was shipped from the factory on September 28, 1885.  Letter states, "case hardened finish".  It also has extra finish walnut with beautiful tiger stripes in the stock.  Plain trigger, 28" octagon and original cleaning rod in the butt.   The gun has 95% original blue and 20% case color , with the balance turning a motled silver.  The bore is bright and shinny.

Adios,
Buck

Offline Grizzly Adams

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: March 04, 2008, 12:01:12 AM »
Buck, that is one beautiful rifle, truly stunning example! :)   When you see one like this, it really brings home the fact that this model was Winchester's flagship for a decade.
GAF

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com