Author Topic: 150th Battle of Wilson's Creek  (Read 4922 times)

Offline Cowtown Scout

• Top Active Citizen
  • TEXAS By GOD
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
150th Battle of Wilson's Creek
« on: August 07, 2011, 08:54:00 PM »
This year starts the 150th Anniversary of the Civil War.  The Boy Scout Venture Crew 1872 that I work with does living history Indian Wars and reenacting Civil War as the 4th US Cavalry (dismounted).  We decided last year to participate in a national reenactment each year of the 150th rememberance.

Next week we are participating in the Battle of Wilson's Creek, just south of Springfield MO.  This was the second Major Battle of the Civil War, the first being Manasas, VA in July.  If you live within driving distance you may want to go and visit the event.  As of July 28th there where 2,800 reenactors registered and they have decided to take walk-ons because of the large amount of requests after registration closed, so this number will increase.  The local folks are expecting 50,000 to 70,000 visitors over the 4 main days of the event.  Some activities start next Wednesday August 10th with the main public battles taking place Friday afternoon, Saturday and Sunday.  Here is a link to the event web site where you can get details and purchase tickets: http://www.wilsonscreek150.com/Home.aspx  The site is immediately North of the National Battle Field:  http://www.nps.gov/wicr/index.htm

The 4th US Cav was created the week before the battle when the five US Mounted Units were redesignated all as Cavalry from the 1&2 Dragoons, Mounted Rifles and 1&2 Cavalry to the 1-5 Cavalry units.  However this was on paper and had not reached the units prior to the battle so our unit fought in the battle as the 1st US Cavalry.  Therefore we are changing the numbers on our headgear and will be participating as Company B 1st US Cavalry (dismounted).  We are taking 16 military and 6 civilians to the event and will participate in battles Friday through Sunday. Our unit will consist of command: Captain Glass, 1st Sgt. Williams; 1st Platoon: 1st Lt. Strickland (me), Sgt, Cpl, 4 troopers; 2nd Platoon: 2nd Lt. Gomez, Sgt, Cpl, 4 troopers.  I will post a report and links to photos sometime after the event.
Scout

Wilson’s Creek National Battlefield
6424 W. Farm Road 182, Republic, Missouri 65738

Wilson’s Creek National Battlefield was established on April 22, 1960 in order to preserve and commemorate the Battle of Wilson’s Creek, the site of the second major battle of the Civil War and the first major battle west of the Mississippi River. On August 10, 1861, 5,400 Union troops under the command of Brigadier General Nathaniel Lyon clashed in a brutal fight with 12,000 Confederate, Arkansas and Missouri State Guard soldiers under Generals Benjamin McCulloch and Sterling Price. The casualties were about equal on both sides—1,317 Union and 1,222 Southern – and included General Lyon, who became the first Union general killed in battle. While the Union lost the Battle of Wilson’s Creek, Southern commanders did not follow up their advantage, and the twin defeats at Wilson’s Creek and Lexington focused national attention on the war in Missouri and led to greater federal military activity in the state.

Located just 10 miles southwest of Springfield, Missouri, Wilson’s Creek National Battlefield encompasses 1,927 acres and preserves seventy-five percent of the actual combat area. Many visitors drive the 4.9-mile tour road and stop at the eight pullouts featuring the major events of August 10, 1861. The park has 50 known archeological sites, many of which are associated with the battle. The park also preserves cultural landscapes and historic Civil War era structures, including the Ray House, the 19th century home used as a field hospital. In August 2005, the park acquired the General Sweeny Museum, adding 8,000 unique items specific to the Civil War in the Trans-Mississippi West to the park’s extant collection of more than 60,000 artifacts. The Sweeney acquisition also resulted in an expansion of the park’s interpretive themes to include the Civil War in the Trans-Mississippi Theater.

In addition, the battlefield’s John K. and Ruth Hulston Civil War Research Library contains approximately 7,500 volumes concentrating on the Civil War period and the Civil War in the Trans-Mississippi Theater, along with periodicals, vertical files, microfilm, and maps.
GAF #510, STORM #98, GOFWG #126, SSS #211, SBSS #1713, CVV
Life Member: SASS, LSA, ORA, Whittington Center, LSFSC, Founders Club (Gold)
Benefactor Member: NRA and TSRA, Past President TSRA

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: 150th Battle of Wilson's Creek
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2011, 11:56:03 PM »
Sad to say, I only live 1 1/2 hours away, and have never been there. Someday I'll make it, but not this weekend-daughter's 2nd birthday. And birthday celebrations with Filipinos is a bit more involved than half an hour of cake and ice cream.It will be an all afternoon feast, with preperations all this week, and cleaning up all next week. My job is to finish the months old bathroom remodel-looks like I may just barely make it.....

Offline Pitspitr

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • 308 214-0082 45551 Rd 816, Sargent NE 68874 USA
    • Grand Army of the Frontier
  • SASS #: 74523
  • NCOWS #: L187
  • GAF #: 147
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2011, 05:51:42 AM »
If he hasn't retired, tell John Sutton that Jerry Davenport from Fort Hartsuff says "Hi" .
I remain, Your Ob'd Servant,
Jerry M. "Pitspitr" Davenport
(Bvt.)Brigadier General Commanding,
Grand Army of the Frontier
BC/IT, Expert, Sharpshooter, Marksman, CC, SoM
NRA CRSO, RVWA IIT2; SASS ROI, ROII;
NRA Benefactor Life; AZSA Life; NCOWS Life

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 03:42:09 AM »

Offline US Scout

• Bvt MajGen GAF (Retired)
  • CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 15690
  • GAF #: 3
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 17
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2011, 02:42:48 PM »
Wish I could be there to see it.  Even though I live in the Eastern Theater, I'm more interested in the battles and campaigns of the Western Theater, and even more so in the Trans-Mississippi West, such as the battles in New Mexico, Missouri, Arkansas, and the Indian Territories. 

US Scout
Brig Gen, GAF

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2011, 04:55:51 PM »
I had planned on going with the locals, but I have another event the same weekend where I have to cook for some friends.
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2011, 06:42:58 PM »
Went down friday, had a great time.  As always it seems, a shortage of Yankees, but they were able to a credible representation of Siegals rear area attack.  Lovely continous musketry, punctuated by well placed artillery on both sides. Only thing missing would have been the artillery impacts on the field.  Good Sutlers row, picked up a few things

THe nice thing about these western battles is how close you can approximate the lower numbers vs. the eastern mass armies.  There were probably as many artillery pieces at this reinactment as were at the original battle. 

Looked around for our GAF folks, always in the wrong place unfortunatly.
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Offline Cowtown Scout

• Top Active Citizen
  • TEXAS By GOD
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2011, 10:10:06 PM »
Got back home about 10 PM last night.  Had a great trip, we all came back pumped from the experience.  Temps were in the mid 80s during the day and high 60s at night.  Coming from 40+ days of 100+ in the DFW area of Texas this was very comfortable for us, and we actually had some rain on Friday night.  We participated in the morning battle on Friday but the late afternoon was infantry and artillery only, no cav so we got to set up on the hill and watch.  Saturday fought both morning and late afternoon, and Sunday was supposed to be no cav again but they managed to let mounted and dismounted cav have some action.  We started in an adjoining field with a non scripted tactical that had us go through a low water crossing into a portion of the confederate camp, then across a second low water crossing out next to the civilian town to another big field now in site of many specators near the vendor area  This was probably the most fulfilling battle for us.  Our unit portrayed the 1st US Cav (dismounted) and our dark blue uniforms and close uniformity had us stand out as regular profesional soldiers against the many volunteer units at the event.  I'm posting two group photos that were taken just prior to heading out for the Sunday engagment.  One is our whole group and the other is just the military unit.  You might notice that we did have a Marine with us.  The local paper had several good articles each day with photos and we made it in the Sunday paper from the Saturday battle.  Caption read Confederates advance on Union Troops, our guys saw the photo and called it us against the world.

Drydock, glad you were able to make it out.  Did you only see one battle on Friday or did you get to see both?

Scout

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2011, 10:21:57 PM »
WE came in just as the cavalry were parading off the field after the morning skirmish.  Stayed thru the evening Infantry/artillery duel.   ;D
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Offline Guns Garrett

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2011, 09:48:29 AM »
Ya had the one Marine, the rest of your boys coulda sat and watched!

An associate of mine, Robert Burrows, participated at Wilson's Creek last weekend, (on the winning side).  He is also portrays the infamous Bob Dalton in our annual Dalton Raid reenactment we hold here in Coffeyville every year - 9/30-10/1 this year.  Come visit us!
"Stand, gentlemen; he served on Samar"

GAF #301

Offline Cowtown Scout

• Top Active Citizen
  • TEXAS By GOD
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2011, 12:56:28 PM »
Here are some links to videos that briefly show our unit.  The first two are from news agencies and have glimpses of us in action (best full screen) and the last two are from youtube and show us coming off the field at the end to two different battles.  There a many videos of this years reenactment posted on Youtube if you wish to see the event.
Scout

http://www.news-leader.com/videonetwork/1109430884001/Scenes-of-Battle-at-Wilson-s-Creek

http://www.kspr.com/news/ky3-wilsons-creek-battlefield-holds-150th-anniversary-reenactment-20110812,0,7447561.story

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rhBva6mLoM&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=B15zw5Dd1-c

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com