Author Topic: Impressions  (Read 7535 times)

Offline 5judge

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Impressions
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2012, 08:20:06 PM »
    A number of nations purchased and issued broomhandles on a limited basis. German "red nines" and Persia have been mentioned. The Russian Red Army bought and issued many short-barreled "bolo" Mausers, the Italian Navy issued "slab-side" versions, the armed SS issued full auto types, and the largest user doubtless was China, which purchased thousands of C96s, Spanish Astra copies, and produced more-or-less crude replicas, including one model in .45 ACP calibre.
    I participated in the first wave of Chinese broomhandles imported into this country in the 1980s, all allegedly legal as they were certifed as having been police issue. Opening each crate was an adventure. ALL the above types were represented, including one Chinese copy of the sort fabricated on a flat rock: it was stamped "Wauser".  
    To use a C96 in CAS, wouldn't one have to hand load lead bullets?

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2012, 12:26:57 PM »
As a match sidearm, it would be subject to the standard limitations, ie lead bullets at 1000 fps or less.  A challenge, but doable i believe.  For more limited usage, ie a "Weapon of opportunity" scenario, it would be possible to set it up with factory ammo and a paper target, subject to range approval.
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2012, 07:41:25 PM »
As a match sidearm, it would be subject to the standard limitations, ie lead bullets at 1000 fps or less. 

I noticed that the Zoot Shooter have now allowed .30 Mauser and Luger. Now, I don't have a Broomhandle, and probably won't anytime soon, BUT, now I'm wondering, why not have an exception to the velocity rule for .30 and 9mm in Broomhandles and possibly other auto pistols suitable for Expansion Era? Can't argue it's because of target damage, since rifles are allowed to shoot the same targets at 1300 fps. 9mm would be easy to load with a higher velocity, and I suppose it should be possible to get a reliable load under 1300 for the .30 Mauser.

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 10:18:15 PM »

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2012, 08:28:24 PM »
The Zooters have a 1200 fps limit for the handguns.  I am amenable to discussion on this point, and will consult with Staff at the DepMo regional.  Until then the current limits remain in place.  I encourage anyone with a C96 who wishs to experiment with these loadings, or who has experience with them in the "Zoot" enviorment under the new ruling, to please share with us!  I have no personel experience with the C96, and will happily listen to any and all who wish to enlighten me!
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Offline Pitspitr

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • 308 214-0082 45551 Rd 816, Sargent NE 68874 USA
    • Grand Army of the Frontier
  • SASS #: 74523
  • NCOWS #: L187
  • GAF #: 147
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2012, 06:07:08 AM »
From the DepMo Muster thread:
Pitspitr
Yes I have one with a stock that I got a couple months ago and have not shot yet.  Have a friend who also has a newly aquired one and next week when I get back in State will be ordering us ammo for them so we can burn some powder.  I'm also actively researching loads for a cast load to try once I have some empty brass for reloading.  The C96 will come with me with ammo weither I have worked out the lead loads or not.  It's the .30 cal version not the 9mm.
Scout

I remain, Your Ob'd Servant,
Jerry M. "Pitspitr" Davenport
(Bvt.)Brigadier General Commanding,
Grand Army of the Frontier
BC/IT, Expert, Sharpshooter, Marksman, CC, SoM
NRA CRSO, RVWA IIT2; SASS ROI, ROII;
NRA Benefactor Life; AZSA Life; NCOWS Life

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com