Author Topic: Impressions  (Read 7434 times)

Offline Colt Fanning

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Impressions
« on: April 19, 2012, 08:37:57 AM »
Howdy,
I notice that the C96 Mauser is allowed in GAF.  What rifles could it be paired with and what would be the uniform?

Also which of the following arms could be paired to create an impression.

1866 Springfield with uncut barrel but with shortened forearm
1865 Spencer
1851 brass frame Colt
1894 Swedish Mauser
1860 conversion Colt (6 1/2 in Bbl)
1877 Colt
1898 FN Mauser (Peru)
1873 Winchester ( 38 spl)
1894 Winchester
IAB Sharps (30 in Bbl)
Evans?

Regards
Colt

Offline Pitspitr

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • 308 214-0082 45551 Rd 816, Sargent NE 68874 USA
    • Grand Army of the Frontier
  • SASS #: 74523
  • NCOWS #: L187
  • GAF #: 147
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
Re: Impressions
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2012, 09:56:20 AM »
The '66 Springfield or the '65 Spencer would pair nicely with the colt converion, and the matching uniform would be easy to do well.
I remain, Your Ob'd Servant,
Jerry M. "Pitspitr" Davenport
(Bvt.)Brigadier General Commanding,
Grand Army of the Frontier
BC/IT, Expert, Sharpshooter, Marksman, CC, SoM
NRA CRSO, RVWA IIT2; SASS ROI, ROII;
NRA Benefactor Life; AZSA Life; NCOWS Life

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2012, 04:51:58 PM »
I don't think any nation ever issued the '96 Mauser. However, many were purchased privately by officers of various nations. As far as that goes, any of the handguns you listed could fit that category(except the brass frame navy, since it never existed in that timeframe)
The natural partner for the Swedish Mauser would be a Swedish Nagant revolver( Somewhat pricey) But you could substitute a Russian Nagant for a little over $100.
The 98 Mauser would only be suitable for "Expansion Era" match(GAF version of Wild Bunch).
The other rifles mentioned would be in one of the Scout or Militia catagories, the 1860 conversion would fit in with them.
As far as matching the handgun with a service rifle, especially for some of the foreign nations, substitutions can be made, since the handguns of many of the foreign nations can be a bit scarce. An SAA in cal .38 or greater can be used with about anything. Also, there's the option of shooting in the "Infantry" class(has been renamed, don't remember new name) where you just use a rifle.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:23:56 AM »

Offline Trailrider

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Gunfighter Zone
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2012, 06:50:09 PM »
As far as "no nation" issuing the C96, according to an article in the latest issue of "Man At Arms", Persia (Iran) purchased 1000 Mausers from Paul Mauser in 1912. I guess that's too late for our purposes.  However, I know of at least one C96 "Large Hammer Ring" that was a private-purchase gun (from Von Lengerke & Detmold, NY, NY) carried in the Philipines by a Col. Earl Tanner.  That gun dates from 1902, so I suppose, if the rules allowed, a M1895-'98 Krag would pair up with it. The Broomhandle is in 7.65 Mauser, not 9mm. Col. Tanner's son, the late Col. James E. Tanner, served with my father in the 42nd Infantry "Rainbow" Division in WWII, and the grandfather of my Dad's buddy served in the CW, having lost both feet to a canon ball at 2nd Bull Run.  The 1st Tanner went to work as a clerk for the Ordnance Dept. in Washington, DC, after recovering from his wounds, and was called down from his room on the upper floor of the house across from Ford's Theater to a room on the lower floor. Because the senior Tanner could take shorthand, he was called upon to record events...in the room where President Lincoln lay dying! Everything history knows about the death scene is what the elder Tanner took down and later transcribed! After Lincoln died, and Sec'y of War Stanton said, "Now he belongs to the ages," a chaplain said a prayer. Unfortunately, Tanner's pencil broke at that point and he didn't have another! So he didn't record the prayer for posterity.  :o

And, no, I haven't tried to shoot the Broomhandle...yet. Maybe someday...
Ride to the sound of the guns, but watch out for bushwhackers! Godspeed to all in harm's way in the defense of Freedom! God Bless America!

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Bvt. Lt. Col. Commanding,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF

Offline Charles Isaac

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2012, 07:21:51 PM »
These Mauser military automatics are quite fascinating weapons! The original "tacticool platform"! It sure makes for a handy rapid fire carbine with the stock attached.

As Trailrider stated, the Mauser Pistol was even bought by some US personnel, and I think Pony Express meant the gun was never a standard issue weapon in any nation as opposed to never issued, one reason being that it was very expensive, but in many instances, the guy carrying one was indeed of higher rank and the Broom Handle was very much a badge of rank in many countries.

If anyone finds a loading for .30 Mauser that is GAF legal and will still work the action, let us know, and aren't they good to go when paired with any of the GAF legal Mil Spec smokeless repeaters?

Here's my Mauser. I was out shooting it a couple days ago and it never fails to draw a good deal of attention!

Offline Major Matt Lewis

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2012, 07:52:49 PM »
Didn't the C96 see action during the period in Mexico and Africa?
Major Matt Lewis
Grand Army of the Frontier * SASS Life * NCOWS * Powder Creek Cowboys * Free State Ranges * RO II * NRA Life * Man on the Edge

Offline Niederlander

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2012, 08:05:09 PM »
Does anyone remember who was perhaps the most famous user of the C96?  He spent some time in South Africa before 1900 (where he used the Mauser) and later made some disparaging, and quite accurate, remarks about the Soviet Union.
"There go those Nebraskans, and all hell couldn't stop them!"

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 463
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2012, 08:10:15 PM »
Sir Winston Churchill.
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2012, 08:20:23 PM »
Yes, standard issue is what I meant by "no nation" There's no telling what countries might have bought a few, either for trials or just buying aany gun inn sight to deal with shortages.

As Charles Issac mentioned, a big problem is getting one to function with a GAF legal load. Dusty Tagalon hasn't reported much success with his, and I believe it is a 9mm. My guess is, it would take a very heavy bullet to get it to function under 1000fps, and it probably wouldn't be possible at all with a .30 cal one.

Offline Niederlander

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2012, 08:26:27 PM »
But the "Cool Factor" would be awsome if you can get it to work!  You might try Googling cast bullet loads for the C96.  At least one guy said he got reliable feeding right at 1,000 fps.

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2012, 09:46:20 PM »
The C96 was a fairly popular private purchase weapon among officers of several nations, and would work with most any officer impression of the very late Victorian era.  I believe several were present at Omdurman, including Churchills famous example.

http://digital.nls.uk/churchill/2.4new.html
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 396
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2012, 10:55:59 PM »
The model 94 was issued to The Canadian Rangers during WWII.  The were a coast watcher and patrol branch of the militia.  Too late for GAF, 'though.  If they were accepted it would be scout class.   They were from an unrecorded serial number range, and marked with the "C" broad arrow.

I believe individuals also used the '94.  Lord Lovatt, a Royal Marine Commando officer, is shown in the movie THE LONGEST DAY using one.

I am not AWARE of any earlier military use of the Win. '94.
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Offline Charles Isaac

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2012, 06:58:33 AM »
But the "Cool Factor" would be awesome if you can get it to work! 

It would be great to have one written into a stage as a weapon of opportunity that every shooter picks up off a table at some point and shoots.  Could just be a big paper silhouette target at close range to shoot at with ball ammo if the lead loads don't work out.

I put a higher powered Wolf recoil spring in mine and will go back to a standard before I try working on a lead bullet load.

Offline Niederlander

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2012, 07:51:28 AM »
That's an idea!  We've talked about doing that for extremely close pistol targets as well.  I'll look into it for the DOM Muster.

Offline Charles Isaac

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2012, 08:39:08 AM »
I think the weapon of opportunity thing is good because it gives shooters a chance to shoot guns they otherwise might never get a chance to shoot. I like the idea of the challenging distances fired by GAF members, but having the targets at more of a CAS type close range in this situation keeps it fair for everyone. The accuracy factor is taken out of the equation, and these Mausers, like double action revolvers, are a good example of a gun that takes some getting used to in order to shoot rapidly and accurately.

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2012, 08:51:15 PM »
That's a great idea! I've shot stages before when the weapon of opportunity was a muzzle loading pistol, a broomhandle would be kind of the opposite end of the time period.

Offline Charles Isaac

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2012, 05:57:25 AM »
That's an interesting twist! Did you have to load the muzzle loader while on the clock?

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2012, 08:49:51 AM »
No, it was staged already loaded. First shot of the stage. Was also a bonus target if you hit, but not scored for a miss. 2010 Grand Muster in Texas, also started one stage by firing a miniature cannon.

Offline Charles Isaac

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2012, 07:09:46 PM »
Well, that sounds like it was a good thing. With the Mauser, it's pretty hard to hurt one of those and mine is far from pristine, finish wise anyways, so I would be glad to volunteer it. Now with your original Colt's Bisley, I'd like to shoot a few down range out of it, but I wouldn't expect you to throw that down on the table for everyone to pick up and beat timed rounds out of it down range. I showed my Navy caliber Colt in another thread and I think you may like to try a few shots out of it.

Offline smoke

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2012, 07:32:04 PM »
howdy.....

In 1916 The German Army adopeted a version of the C96.  It was a 9mm version, they came with a large red 9 stamped in the grips so there would not be any confusion with private purchase 7.63 version.  This is refered to as the "Red Nine" by colletors... :o
GAF#379

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com