Special Interests - Groups & Societies > USFA CSS

Educate me, Please! CZ & the future of the Colt SAA

<< < (3/6) > >>

LonesomePigeon:
Re: Colt not meeting demand for the SAA. I base it on how hard it has been to find a factory new Colt SAA for the past several years. For the past two or three years they have not been commonly available and when found they usually sell for over MSRP. I believe MSRP is $1799 and they usually seem to sell for around $2000 - 2200. If Colt was meeting demand I believe we would be commonly seeing SAA's available for at or below MSRP as is normal for other guns.

Coffinmaker:

:)  Pigeon   ;)

Naa.  MSRP has nothing to do with the demand for SAAs.  The MSRP has to do with production.  If you manufacture "one" of something, that single sample example becomes economically untenable.  To meet a price point, you have to make a lot of something.  Colt simply hasn't been real interested in manufacturing lots of SAAs.

Even if colt got the MSRP and realized selling prices down to around 1200 Bucks, their SAA still would not be competitive in the market place.  When a punter can acquire a real nice SA for $400, then spend $200 to make it a "player" yer only into it for $600 and change.  Colt at $1200, still need the additional $200 to make it a "player" and yer into it for $1400.  THAT is economically foolhardy.

CZ may well continue the SAA.  Or not.  The current cost/method of production is Untenable.  CZ would need to be able to hit the market place with an SAA between 6 and 800 Bucks.  Currently, $800 will get you a premium Stainless Something.  No Contest.

Pettifogger:
If there was demand Colt would make more.  There is not and they aren't.  About ten years ago Colt ramped up production to "meet demand" (which Colt hoped would develop) and you could find them on the shelf at Cabelas and a lot of local gun shops.  They did not sell for squat.  CZ will have to determine if building one or two hundred Single Actions a year is worth the cost and effort to basically built a few guns for advertising purposes.  E.g., COLT since 1836!

Twenty years ago Colt introduced the Cowboy which was supposed to be a less expensive Single Action.  It too flopped.  I just remembered while writing this that I have a new in the box Cowboy from the "custom" shop.  All blue with faux ivory grips.  (AKA white plastic)

Advertising:

Capt. John Fitzgerald:
And, as I recall, the "Cowboy" wasn't even made by Colt.  It was a European import bearing the Colt name.  It was also a phenomenal flop.

Pettifogger:
One of the many rumors was that CZ cast the Cowboy frames.  Of course it now appears after the frame cracking debacle from last year even the Colt SAA frames aren't made by Colt.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version