Special Interests - Groups & Societies > BROW

Antique Military Combination or Field Tools Identification

(1/2) > >>

Don Kenna:
Does anyone know of a book (or perhaps even a web site) that would help me identify the growing number of military rifle “combination tools” I’ve managed to accumulate?  I’m referring to the small pocket-sized tools issued with military rifles, carbines, and pistols in the 19th Century, often including folding screwdriver blades, punches, mainspring clamps, etc.

U.S.M.R.:
Gun Tools Their History and Identification  by Schaffer ,Rutlidge and Dorsey.

38OVI:
Just went on ABEBOOKS.COM which is a good source for used books.  Found 5 on their list.  Cheap one is $124.90 and they go up to $350.00
You might want to try your local library for an ILL  (Inter-Library Loan) if your library does them.  One of the books mentioned on CAScity a few years ago on Winchester self-loading rifles was obtained for loan through my local library.  It came from The Library of Congress collection....
I think I'll try it with this book, as I too have a bunch of the tools collected through the years.

Advertising:

LongWalker:
For US tools, it might be worth taking a look at the selection offered for sale at https://www.granpasgunparts.com/  They've got good illustrations/descriptions, and you might be able to ID many of them from there. 

Don Kenna:
Thanks, Guys:

I just looked at the prices of the Shaffer, et al, book.  Not a purchse option for me, I fear.  I've bought something in the past from Granpa's Gun Parts, and that would be a good option.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version