Special Interests - Groups & Societies > The Winchester Model 1892

May be interested in getting a Rossi 92 - so questions

<< < (4/5) > >>

Lord Eoin MacKenzie:
 I have a stainless M92 in 45colt,  Is it NWOCS legal?

Jeremiah Jones:
Stupid question:  What is the difference in the Carbine and the Rifle with a 20" barrel?
I bought the rifle in .45/.454 with 20" barrel, back in 2007.  It is my go-to gun.

DeaconKC:

--- Quote from: Jeremiah Jones on September 14, 2020, 09:38:38 AM ---Stupid question:  What is the difference in the Carbine and the Rifle with a 20" barrel?
I bought the rifle in .45/.454 with 20" barrel, back in 2007.  It is my go-to gun.

--- End quote ---

I think it is the shape of the buttstock.

Advertising:

Abilene:

--- Quote from: DeaconKC on September 14, 2020, 10:27:58 AM ---I think it is the shape of the buttstock.

--- End quote ---

For the most part, carbines have round barrel, different sights, forend with barrel band, and the flatter buttstock.

rifles are octagonal, dovetailed front sight, forend has nose cap, and crescent buttstock.

That is repro '92's.  Uberti '73 and '66 would be the same.  Some original guns had round barrels on rifles.

Black River Smith:
Lord Eoin MacKenzie,

While I was a NCOWS member for 13yrs, I am not now.  But I think the fact that you firearm is an image of the 1892 Win. -- I believe it would be acceptable even though it is stainless.  Here is a link to the NCOWS Tally book, http://ncows.com/library/pdf/2020NCOWSTallyBook.pdf .  Go down to page 20 of the pdf for accepted firearms.  The copies of 1892's are acceptable.  No mention of blue versus stainless is mentioned.  I would double check your question up in the NCOWS section.

Abliene,

You are totally correct as far as what I deem the definitions of Rifles & Carbines are...  What most know as a Win 94 rifle nowadays is what was once referred to as the carbine version.  Octagon barreled with nosecaps and crescent buttplates long-guns were called Rifles.
 Most see these as only commemoratives nowadays.  The general all encompassing term for long-gun is 'Rifle'

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version