CAS TOPICS > Gun Reviews

From C&B to Conversion

(1/8) > >>

blackpowder:
Hi all around,

I am fairly new to blackpowder shooting. My only C&B Revolver is an old 70s vintage .44 Colt-Clone made by Faul-Centaure in Belgium. Its a very solid gun and I like shooting it. Now I am looking for a good new clone in the same caliber, which, at some point I can also convert to cartridge loads like the .45 long colt or 44-40.
1. Can anyone recommend a good quality pistol (I hear the Italian clones are well made) ?
2. It should be suitable for conversion as well and the necessary parts available on the market (which is not the case with my Centaure).
3. To which cartridge caliber can a .44 C&B most easily be converted?

Thanks for sharing your experience,

:)

Lucky R. K.:
Hello Blackpowder,
Your Cenature is indeed a well made collectable pistol and should not be shot. I would recommend replicas of either the Colt 1851 Navy or the 1860 Army made by either Uberiti or Pietta. The bores are .451 so you could use conversion cylinders chambered in 45 Colt. I shoot 45 Cowboy Special in mine with great results.

Lucky

Major 2:
Pietta or Uberti are both supported by Kirst Konverters ...both are fine BP guns and both need some adjustment for fit, and reliability.

Fact is if you buy a new gun from either manufacturer, then buy the Gated Kirst Konventer & pay a smith to fit the mods & adjust the gun, frankly you'll have more money invested than if you had purchased a new Conversion for Uberti . Since you asked about 44 ( your Barrel will be .451 )

The plus side ...very nice gun , forged frame , good quality and many calibers to choose from ( 38 special  44 Spcl , Russian or Colt 45 Colt )

Your Centaure is nice gun and can be custom fitted with conversion, I think from the Kirst Pietta part

There is also The Kenny Howell R&D drop in conversion from Taylor's in Winchester Va. these are also made for Pietta & Uberti.
the plus here is the gun does not need the loading gate cut in... downside you need to load off the frame ( no loading gate )

others will chime in ..but also tune in some U-tube videos to help make up your mind.

Advertising:

Coffinmaker:
Sure.  Happy to oblige.  Just to review, your Centaure .44 has approximately a .451 bore which makes it actually a .45 (Don't ask how that happened).

If you desire a compatible modern replica to play with, you only have two choices at present.  Uberti built guns and Pietta built guns.  To function satisfactorily, both will require a little set up.  The Uberti will require more "work" than a Pietta.  My personal suggestion would be a Pietta.  Pietta offer lots of barrel and choices of configuration.  One of which is an 1851 pattern gun in .44 which is actually a 45.  Uberti leave you with one configuration, an 1860 replica.

For converting, you only have one option with a .44 percussion gun.  You can convert to a .45 in which you can shoot 45 Colt, 45 Schofield and Cowboy 45 Special cartridges.  You have two ways to convert, an R & D style two piece converter or a Gated Conversion from Kirst Konverters.  The gated conversion is NOT simple.  The R & D type is pretty much "Drop In" with only minor fitting required.

You can only convert to one caliber.  45 is it.  My personal recommendation is Pietta.  More choices.  By the way, your Centaure is one of the best made replicas on the planet.  Take care of it.

AntiqueSledMan:
Hello blackpowder,

I have to agree with Coffinmaker, Pietta is the cheapest way to go.
Both the Howell and the Kirst would be a 5 shot after conversion,
unless you want to hire someone to make you a 6 shot in 44 Colt (not cheap).
The Howell will require removal of barrel & cylinder to reload.
The Kirst with loading gate & ejector can be loaded in place.
Both will probably have some timing issues and will need to be looked at,
and switching beck to the 6 shot percussion cylinder probably will require being timed again.

AntiqueSledMan.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version