Author Topic: Why was 38 special so popular for so long?  (Read 10903 times)

Offline Galloway

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Why was 38 special so popular for so long?
« on: May 01, 2018, 01:28:19 PM »
Being little more than 38sw and 38colt, why do you suppose the 38special dominated LE for almost a century considering the variety of big bore calibers of the 1800s?

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
Re: Why was 38 special so popular for so long?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2018, 03:15:50 PM »
Because it was easily controlled, for one, and light weight for another - both worthy considerations when carrying a weapon for shift work.

Town/City Law Enforcement very seldom needed a larger caliber back then - no matter what the movies might depict - their laws were enough to dissuade the average guy from carrying, and most didn't feel the need - quite unlike today, when there are guys out there that won't pick up a quart of milk at the Piggly-Wiggly without first getting strapped.

That round was enough, since most folks aren't all 'that' keen on getting shot, anyway - and it beat a knife or stick by a long ways.

Another contributor was the fact that folks saw the police carrying that round, so they mirrored them - figuring that they had a good idea of what was needed, so that increased usage exponentially.

Scouts Out!
"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Online Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1215
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2018, 04:08:36 PM »
...That round was enough, since most folks aren't all 'that' keen on getting shot, anyway - and it beat a knife or stick by a long ways...

And since the phenomena of having perps high on PCP, etc. and harder to take down had not occurred yet.  And I'm guessing that folks that were used to shooting .38 and then tried shooting full power .357 mighta said "yikes!" and figured .38 was good enough.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:59:47 PM »

Offline Galloway

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2018, 05:50:12 PM »
Wow just noticed colt made almost 167,000 1877's the hand ejector/PP specials logical predecessor. Thats about as many saa's made by 1900 minus cavalry and exports. Seems like 9mm vs 45 debate is old news ;D

Offline Old No7

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2018, 10:26:44 PM »
And since the phenomena of having perps high on PCP, etc. and harder to take down had not occurred yet.  And I'm guessing that folks that were used to shooting .38 and then tried shooting full power .357 mighta said "yikes!" and figured .38 was good enough.

Also, they didn't have the ER/trauma centers and antibiotics we do today either...

In the later 1800s, a low-powered round like a .31 Rimfire fired from a 2" Derringer wouldn't put you down right away, but if gut-shot, you'd likely die in a a few days or weeks anyway.  Back then, it was "stopping the fight", not the "1 shot stop" they were after.

Even with today's healthcare, I'm not itchin' to get shot with even a .22.............

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment...  One cannot exist without the other."  © 2000 DTH

Offline Pitspitr

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • 308 214-0082 45551 Rd 816, Sargent NE 68874 USA
    • Grand Army of the Frontier
  • SASS #: 74523
  • NCOWS #: L187
  • GAF #: 147
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2018, 06:12:49 AM »
Another contributor was the fact that folks saw the police carrying that round, so they mirrored them - figuring that they had a good idea of what was needed, so that increased usage exponentially.

That really hasn't changed all that much. Remember when the .40 S&W was the hottest thing on the market?
I remain, Your Ob'd Servant,
Jerry M. "Pitspitr" Davenport
(Bvt.)Brigadier General Commanding,
Grand Army of the Frontier
BC/IT, Expert, Sharpshooter, Marksman, CC, SoM
NRA CRSO, RVWA IIT2; SASS ROI, ROII;
NRA Benefactor Life; AZSA Life; NCOWS Life

Offline Galen

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 25
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2018, 07:53:43 AM »
I carried a model 10 S&W for 30 years, never realized I was out gunned. The 38 spl was enough power for the size and weight of the gun. A revolver is foolproof, point and pull. If I had it to do over, I'd still take the S&W model 10 in 38spl. Maybe a model 10 in 9mm with moon clips?

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2018, 09:12:30 AM »
I still have a .38 Special (2" Charter Arms Undercover) that is a decent carry gun for when a 1911 is not practical and I don't think a .380 will be enough.

Actually, it was my wife's carry gun because she couldn't manage the slide on most semi-autos... but I do carry it a few times a month
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Offline Roscoe

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2018, 11:21:12 AM »
I am thinking, because 38 Colt wasn't enough, and big bore guns were too large and heavy. Same stands today, but now we have the avoidance of magnum recoil in a small-for-caliber gun, leaving 38 Special and its availability of ammo as the natural choice.

Offline Professor Marvel

• purveyor of useless items to the gentry
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • learn from the past, or be doomed to repeat it
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1164
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2018, 01:26:59 PM »
I seem to recall (as I sit in the pulmonary waiting room for the to fix Mrs marvels pneumonia ) that the 200 gr. Flatnose soft lead .38 manstopper loads were quite effective on everything except hopped up moors...

And around here we still get good results against trolls with heavy soft lead flatpoint s .

If one demands one shot knockdown/stops there is always the double 4 bore...

Yhs Prof marvel
Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Powder, Percussion Caps, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods,
and
Picture Postcards

Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions
and
Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
[
Available by Appointment for Lectures on Any Topic

Offline Professor Marvel

• purveyor of useless items to the gentry
  • Top Active Citizen
  • learn from the past, or be doomed to repeat it
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1164
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2018, 01:28:41 PM »
Moros

Not moors

Damn you autocorrect !
Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Powder, Percussion Caps, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods,
and
Picture Postcards

Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions
and
Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
[
Available by Appointment for Lectures on Any Topic

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 11754
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 190
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2018, 02:25:56 PM »
The .38 spcl is the centerfire equivalent of the .22. Lots and lots of revolvers, a few autos and even rifles chambered in it, cheap to shoot  and easy to reload for, an inherently accurate cartridge and very pleasant to shoot. While there weren't many military .38s there were a gazillion used police revolvers sold to the public and usually at a great price. It's still popular. My edc is a J frame Smith. A great cartridge.

And I almost forgot, just about every ammo maker makes a large variety of loadings and every sporting goods store, wal marts and even some hardware stores carry .38 ammo.
"Give'em hell, Pike"
 There is no horse so dead that you cannot continue to beat it.

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2018, 11:54:47 PM »
I seem to recall (as I sit in the pulmonary waiting room for the to fix Mrs marvels pneumonia ) that the 200 gr. Flatnose soft lead .38 manstopper loads were quite effective on everything except hopped up moors...

And around here we still get good results against trolls with heavy soft lead flatpoint s .

If one demands one shot knockdown/stops there is always the double 4 bore...

Yhs Prof marvel

Make sure that the doctor get that under control.  I am a real advocate for pneumonia shots.  They don't prevent it but will keep it from turning septic.

I lost my wife to double pneumonia going septic two years ago this coming Tuesday.

You have my prayers.
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Offline Galloway

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2018, 01:52:57 AM »
The more i think about it, i'm beginning to believe it may have had more to do with the side swing da K/I/D frame in general than the actual ballistics of the 38special. No half cock loading gate procedure, no need to cock every shot, and about as much power as you could pack into those frames people were willing to carry. I think those features alone would have looked great in 1901!

Offline Slamfire

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 58
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2018, 12:25:21 PM »
 I'm with Galen ,,, Model 10 S&W ,, if I carried a " DA " it would be a M# 10 ,, one of the best shooters i'v had the pleasure to shoot , I favored the 158 gr. Keith . I now carry a OT in 38 spl. w/ 120gr. RN, when out messing around ( snakes and such ) lite recoil and " accurate ".

coffee's ready ,,, Hootmix.

Offline Blair

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2018, 01:31:22 PM »
Think back to the popularity of the 1851 and 1861's. This will also include the 1849's that were converted from .31 to .36 caliber with the 1862 pocket Police and Navy modles.
Most folks could mange the recoil better than the .44 cal. and therefore shoot them better.
After the Civil War, cartridge conversions, starting with rim fires and evolving into center fires in the form of .38 Colt became very popular.
Smith & Wesson does not produce its first .38 cal. until 1877 with the "Baby Russian". Aside from the OA cartridge length the bore dia. for each of these two cartridges were also quite different.
By the 1890's the US Gov. was showing great interest in the .38 cal. but was very tired of having to supply two (perhaps three) different types of ammo for revolvers under contract. The Gov. ordered Colt and S&W to come up with a compromise that was acceptable to the Military needs. This requirement evolved into the .38 Special.
My best,
 Blair 
A Time for Prayer.
"In times of war and not before,
God and the soldier we adore.
But in times of peace and all things right,
God is forgotten and the soldier slighted"
by Rudyard Kipling.
Blair Taylor
Life-C 21

Offline Donkee

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2018, 07:42:31 AM »
I carry my S&W model 36 when I carry these days.  Once I find a holster I like I'll be carrying my Colt Cobra. 38 +P is more than adequate.

Offline Galen

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 25
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2018, 08:03:28 AM »
One of the fine ammunition manufactures needs to make a run of 200 grain lead 38 specials, and I'd be happier then a pig in deep mud.

Offline treebeard

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 16
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2018, 02:50:35 PM »
One of the fine ammunition manufactures needs to make a run of 200 grain lead 38 specials, and I'd be happier then a pig in deep mud.

When did they stop making the 200 grain loading? I bought a box of Remington brand but it was a few years back.

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2018, 09:08:41 PM »
Like the 9mm today, just enough power, in just enough gun.
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com