Author Topic: Marlin Action  (Read 9427 times)

Offline William R. Foster

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Marlin Action
« on: November 17, 2017, 12:11:47 AM »
Since there isnt a dedicated marlin page, i have a question. Is it possible to smooth/ slick up the action of the marlin rifles? I know it will never ne as smooth or as fast as a nice 73 or 92, but im curious.

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
Re: Marlin Action
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2017, 04:41:11 AM »
Absolutely .....  Others may be more eloquent , but I wrote a tutorial for the NCOWS Shootist on just this subject .
It was based on the best advise and coaching from CoffinMaker....
It transformed my 32/20 Classic Limited  and since a 45 Cowboy for my friend.

I used these parts , and will PM you my tutorial. 
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline William R. Foster

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2017, 05:02:06 AM »
Absolutely .....  Others may be more eloquent , but I wrote a tutorial for the NCOWS Shootist on just this subject .
It was based on the best advise and coaching from CoffinMaker....
It transformed my 32/20 Classic Limited  and since a 45 Cowboy for my friend.

I used these parts , and will PM you my tutorial. 

Awesome.  Thanks

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 04:20:04 AM »

Offline PJ Hardtack

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2017, 10:08:59 AM »
Marlins have the reputation of getting smoother the more you use them. My wife's [JM] .357 (pre-push button safety) is getting smoother after years of use. All I did was install a one piece firing pin.

The only Marlins I have seen that gibbled up were those that had been worked on, "tuned" by an 'expert'. That usually meant over polishing of critical parts. Same for the '97s  I've seen that gibble up.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2017, 10:33:36 AM »

Thank Major 2.

The Marlin can be cleaned up to run very smooth and quite fast.  Judicious Rubbin-n-Buffin, change some springs and go.  Like anything else, you can go over the top.  I don't necessarily think it's a swell idea to over buff the moving parts till the gun rattles.  There is a vast difference between smooth and worn out.  I've seen entirely too many guns returned from "big deal" tuners that were completely clapped out while being brand new.  Exercise some care please.

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2017, 05:18:16 AM »
Charley, I PM'ed the article to you...

the Photo's accompanying the Article are above...and here are the others... hope it helps.

You will note I chose to replace the Magazine spring & follower with a Stainless Steel parts.

In the Second photo, the replacement cross bolt safety replacement is seen ....

one other Point...I did not mention in the article....there are firing pins made in Titanium....I mention I chose the Stainless Steel , I felt the lighter springs with the Titanium pin might lead to light hits with some primers.    

Offline greyhawk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 49
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2017, 06:03:48 AM »
Thank Major 2.

The Marlin can be cleaned up to run very smooth and quite fast.  Judicious Rubbin-n-Buffin, change some springs and go.  Like anything else, you can go over the top.  I don't necessarily think it's a swell idea to over buff the moving parts till the gun rattles.  There is a vast difference between smooth and worn out.  I've seen entirely too many guns returned from "big deal" tuners that were completely clapped out while being brand new.  Exercise some care please.

never had much interest in marlins ----but I watched a video just a while back of that widdermaker feller crankin one in his loungeroom - ten rounds includin a couple of empty cases - that thing was like litenin - they dont get any quicker - after seein that I figgered I maybe could get interested. Picked up the link here somewheres I think.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2017, 10:53:29 AM »

A couple of CAVEATS.   Towards the end of production of the "Fish" at their own plant, QC went bye bye.  Sloopy fit and fins.  Then they became "Remlins" and early production guns from Remington were/are KRAP.  Recent production guns have returned to nice rifles.  Care must be exercised purchasing a Marlin.  Older "JM" marked guns are bringing "stupid" money.  I have not ben able to figure out why folks are willing to pay $1300 for a rifle that will have to have the dreaded "Marlin Jam" fix'd and originally cost $550.  Stupid money.

Adirondack Jack and Widdomaker Hill worked out some very interesting and effective modifications to the Marlin action allowing it to become magic fast and smooth.  Beyond simple springs and polish, were I determined to compete with the fast guys, I'd ship a Marlin to "Widder" and have him make it run.  A WidderMagic Marlin will even run C45S cases lake wet grain thru a Goose.

I'm personally up to my Arm Pitts in toggle link rifles so have no interest in a Fish.  They are however, a real nice CAS rifle.

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2017, 12:44:50 PM »
I too am eat up in Toggles   ... Henry's, 66 & 73's

But , as I said in my Article, my desire for a Fish was nostalgic, my Dad had one in the 30's in 32/20.
He had to trade it during the early WW2.  I wanted one as he said he like his and I never got to see it.
My gun is one of the 1989 JM "Classic Limited" Marlin's offered in a limited run in 32/20 ...It was new old stock in Box.
.....on Gun Broker , at " buy me now " two or 3 years ago....

With the Spring kit & one piece Firing pin ...the gun is a tack driver & gem to shoot.

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2017, 08:08:50 AM »
Charley, I PM'ed the article to you...

the Photo's accompanying the Article are above...and here are the others... hope it helps.

You will note I chose to replace the Magazine spring & follower with a Stainless Steel parts.

In the Second photo, the replacement cross bolt safety replacement is seen ....

one other Point...I did not mention in the article....there are firing pins made in Titanium....I mention I chose the Stainless Steel , I felt the lighter springs with the Titanium pin might lead to light hits with some primers.    

Did you get the PM ? 

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 11754
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 189
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2017, 09:10:02 PM »
The only slickening that my JM Marlin Cowboy has had is years of being my one and only CAS rifle. But early on I did install a one piece firing pin, a fake screw to replace the crossbolt safety, s/s magazine parts and a little polishing and spring snipping on the lever lock. It did develope the 'dreaded Marlin jam' and another lifter was installed which lasted a few years but the second time it happened the internet was in existence and I was able to research the problem and permanently repaired it with jb weld and a piece of coping saw blade. Still runs great though with my musket purchases I use it a little less nowdays.
And Charlie, I would say that a Marlin can be as fast as a non s/s 73. Where the 73 gets the edge is in the $hort $troke kits. There are no short stroke kits for a 94 that I know of.
"Give'em hell, Pike"
 There is no horse so dead that you cannot continue to beat it.

Offline wildman1

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 169
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2017, 05:40:35 PM »
Since there isnt a dedicated marlin page, i have a question. Is it possible to smooth/ slick up the action of the marlin rifles? I know it will never ne as smooth or as fast as a nice 73 or 92, but im curious.
Marlins can be as slick or slicker than a 73.
"        " can be short stroked.
Lassiter is one smith that can do it there are others.
They work very well.
wM1
WARTHOG, Dirty Rat #600, BOLD #1056, CGCS,GCSAA, NMLRA, NRA, AF&AM, CBBRC.  If all that cowboy has ever seen is a stockdam, he ain't gonna believe ya when ya tell him about whales.

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2017, 06:22:00 PM »
I didn't know that. I can't see how without a complete redesign of the gun. I'll have to research it. Thanks.
Just looked it up. At almost 2000.00 , time you're done with a metal refinish and new wood on your old donor rifle, wow. Lot of money to save a few seconds. Im not competitive any more but the ability to use .45acp in a Marlin is pretty nifty.
"Give'em hell, Pike"

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2017, 07:36:18 PM »
Ah Ha!!  The "Wildman" speaks words of Truth!!  The Fish can in fact be Short Stroked.  Normally, a Short Stroke fish is set up to run the C45S cartridge or a really short 38.  I haven't paid enough attention to the current "Hot Set-up" for Fish.  I do know they (the Fish) can be and I have set them up to be just a smooth and fast as a '73 (with after-market springs and judicious rubbin-n-buffin).

I never had any interest in, nor saw any good reason for, a conversion to 45 ACP??  The only advantage of 45 ACP in any lever rifle is being able to shoot the same same cartridge in the rifle as the 1911 for Wild Bunch.  I see no true advantage in that after you arrive at the range.  1911 is fed from a Stick magazine and a Lever Rifle is fed from a Tube magazine.  The only convenience I see is at the reloading bench and I don't know if I see that as a convenience.  All I have to do is change the Shell plate and Tool Head, feed a different case into the feeder and "go."

Once you've converted to 45 ACP, That's what you have.  No versatility.  With a Fish set up to run C45S, you can run C45S, 45 Squirt, 45 Schofield or 45 Colt cases.  Of course, some things are done just because you can.  Whether or not you should ...................

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2017, 10:31:17 PM »
I love the .45 acp in a carbine and have built 3 AR.45s. Zombies hate them. They're fun, fast handling and accurate. For the sport of cas/wb I agree with you and don't see the need. A very ingenious idea but too pricey, Unfortunately the equipment race rears it's ugly head once again.. The guy with the most disposable income wins. That's what made me and others quit ipsc but they eventually figured it out and now there is a stock gun category. Too late to do me any good.
"Give'em hell, Pike"

Offline wildman1

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2017, 06:01:34 PM »
I didn't know that. I can't see how without a complete redesign of the gun. I'll have to research it. Thanks.
Just looked it up. At almost 2000.00 , time you're done with a metal refinish and new wood on your old donor rifle, wow. Lot of money to save a few seconds. Im not competitive any more but the ability to use .45acp in a Marlin is pretty nifty.
I don't know where you looked it up but it would be closer to a couple hundred bucks. It is a relatively simple process. The recess that holds the ejector is milled farther forward, a new hole drilled to drop it into and a couple other minor changes. They work very well. I don't know exactly how much it was because he had several guns of ours and we didn't ask him for an itemized list.
wM1
WARTHOG, Dirty Rat #600, BOLD #1056, CGCS,GCSAA, NMLRA, NRA, AF&AM, CBBRC.  If all that cowboy has ever seen is a stockdam, he ain't gonna believe ya when ya tell him about whales.

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2017, 11:42:42 AM »
Looked at Ranger Point Precision. Going to a shorter .45 LC rimmed case would not involve bbl work but going to .45acp would involve a lot of bbl work, removing, cutting and rethreading, rechambering to acp, reinstall and cutting the mag tube and refitting forearm.
"Give'em hell, Pike"

Offline wildman1

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2017, 05:04:09 AM »
OK that. I was referring to SS in general.38 spl etc. which would not have any barrel work done.
wM1

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com