Author Topic: Nebraska Muster  (Read 1428 times)

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 471
Nebraska Muster
« on: October 14, 2023, 04:42:16 PM »
Had a blast shooting the Nebraska Muster in the Handgunner category today.

Weather was a bit chill and damp, but the firepit and the camaraderie were warm.

I carried three revolvers and an ammo pouch on my belt. If I had fallen over they would have needed a crane to get me upright again.
You ask how I shot?
As I told my brother Bryan, "Let's just say I had to sneak up on those rifle targets to within point blank range."

A BIG SHOUT OUT to Wooly Dan Carder for the loan of a revolver!

Thanks to Majors Broken Nose Scotty and Quickfire for an excellent match!
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline Niederlander

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
Re: Nebraska Muster
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2023, 07:51:57 PM »
ALWAYS a great match!  Thanks Jack and Mike for putting on a fun match, and everyone who helped with it.  Theresa, the food was awesome, as always.  Bravo!
"There go those Nebraskans, and all hell couldn't stop them!"

Offline Niederlander

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2023, 07:57:55 AM »
Did anyone take pictures (other than John)?  A friend asked for pictures, and as usual, I didn't take any.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 03:48:38 PM »

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2023, 06:09:33 PM »
Did anyone take pictures (other than John)?  A friend asked for pictures, and as usual, I didn't take any.
Miss Theresa did take some photos, I believe. And perhaps Good Troy (whom I have to thank for taking the pic of me and forwarding it).
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline Good Troy

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 98102
  • NCOWS #: 3791
  • GAF #: 835
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 23
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2023, 11:48:13 AM »
Here's one pic of Scotty and I...
Good Troy
AKA Dechali, and Has No Horses
SASS#98102
GAF#835
NCOWS#3791
SSS#638

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2023, 01:08:52 PM »
Here's one pic of Scotty and I...

Low-flying hostiles, no doubt. ;D
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline Mogorilla

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3306
  • GAF #: 883
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 99
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2023, 02:47:53 PM »
One of these?

Offline Niederlander

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2023, 03:03:27 PM »
If anyone saw one of those, they were partaking of something most of us weren't!

Offline Hair Trigger Jim

• Top Active Citizen
  • GAF #: 914
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2023, 05:22:59 PM »
Well, somebody had to take those photos!

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2023, 06:39:42 PM »
One of these?

Interesting in that the angle of the pterodactyl's head and the set of the spread wings is identical in both pics.
The lower pic of the too pristine Federal soldiers has a definite line surrounding the profile of the creature that looks "photo-shopped" to me.
But the upper pic, they actually seem to be holding an 3dimensional figure(note the fingers of the hands holding it wrap around.), plus I like the authenticity and variety of the clothing, those fellows worked and lived in those clothes.
Here's a fuller image.
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline Mogorilla

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3306
  • GAF #: 883
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 99
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2023, 07:22:59 PM »
Ha.  I have had those on my computer for eons (maybe since there were pteradons).  Worked with a guy who firmly believed their authenticity.  To debunk:
The one with the livery.  I think setting and clothing great, problem is wings.  Those are bat wings, pteranadons had webbing from their little finger to body, so no fingers in the wing. 

Second one is some well fed union soldiers and well armed.  How many carried pistol and rifle?

Offline Hair Trigger Jim

• Top Active Citizen
  • GAF #: 914
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2023, 08:50:02 PM »
There are certainly stories reported of people encountering those things back in the day, and by people who would not be expected to be familiar with paleontology.  But I'm not assuming the images are genuine. 

For the sake of discussion, those are certainly bat-like wings in the first picture, but I have no experience with pteranodon wings.

As for the second picture, it does seem unusual to have that many men equipped with bayonets as well as holstered sidearms.  Also, during what time frame would they all have had rectangular belt buckles?  Civil War ones are generally oval, at least for enlisted personnel, right?

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2023, 09:19:52 PM »
Getting back to the subject of this thread:

If the gentleman who shot in the uniform impression of a Swiss soldier would PM me in here - I promised him a nice old color print showing a Swiss soldier in similar uniform, but did not get his name nor address.
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline Robert Swartz

• Top Active Citizen
  • GAF #: 892
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2023, 12:20:23 PM »
Had a blast shooting the Nebraska Muster in the Handgunner category today.

Weather was a bit chill and damp, but the firepit and the camaraderie were warm.

I carried three revolvers and an ammo pouch on my belt. If I had fallen over they would have needed a crane to get me upright again.
You ask how I shot?
As I told my brother Bryan, "Let's just say I had to sneak up on those rifle targets to within point blank range."

A BIG SHOUT OUT to Wooly Dan Carder for the loan of a revolver!

Thanks to Majors Broken Nose Scotty and Quickfire for an excellent match!

....ain't no shame sneakin' up on targets with a pistol!
"Copperhead Bob"
GAF# 892
Sgt Maj (ret) 2nd KY Vols 1812 era
Lt (ret) Rogers Rangers F&I
Booshway 2021Thundercreek Rendevous

Offline ira scott

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • AKA: Broken Nose Scotty
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 60
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2023, 10:23:15 AM »
RCJ,  the Swiss soldier you are referring to is Ken Haines, aka: Whiskey Double.

B.N. Scotty
It is far better to remain silent, and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com