Author Topic: screw in top of hammer  (Read 1930 times)

Offline olskool

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
screw in top of hammer
« on: January 11, 2020, 07:37:55 AM »
I have a question. I am looking at a Taylors uberti 1873 cattleman, I have had 3 in the past. this one is on line auction. it has a small screw in the top of the hammer in the middle of the curve. it must have something to do with a safety feature, I have never seen one like it before. what is it? can the hammer be replaced to get rid of it? thanks for the help,,,,,,,,,,,,,
beware of the man who has only one gun, he probably knows how to use it.....

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
Re: screw in top of hammer
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2020, 10:07:09 AM »
Hammer block safety as you surmised ...if you remove it and the block it leave an uglier hole

you can replace the hammer for one without ....then you may need to mess with the timing

some just Loctite the thing...I saw a fellow tig weld and file it to disappear 
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2020, 10:15:48 AM »

;D  PLUS ONE too Major 2    ;D

But why Bother   ::)   Oh, and you may have to shop around for a replacement hammer.  Uberti has completely enhanced the SA hammer design for your personal safety (sic) and in the future may not support parts for lesser beings   :P

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:43:57 AM »

Offline olskool

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2020, 11:45:52 AM »
thank you for the answer coffinmaker, I just hate having something forced on me! I like a gun to at least look and function as original as possible. Taylor list one with no safety garbage for about $64 bucks.

Offline Professor Marvel

• purveyor of useless items to the gentry
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • learn from the past, or be doomed to repeat it
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1118
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2020, 03:09:04 PM »
thank you for the answer coffinmaker, I just hate having something forced on me! I like a gun to at least look and function as original as possible. Taylor list one with no safety garbage for about $64 bucks.

SInce the revolver is in an auction, I would humbly suggest you pass on it and wait until you find an "old model" with the hammer you really want.
If you are incredibly lucky The new hammer and old hand/bolt combo will ONLY need "minor" timing. If not, prepare to spend many hours with your
new friend Mr. Kunnhausen.

BTW I have ordered parts from Taylors via the web, and unless you call them ( as opposed to ordering online) you may not know something is on "infinite backorder"
until the rest of the order comes in...

I had that issue trying to order "thunderer backstraps" ... got all the other parts, but no backstraps. On the paper invoice I recvd they were marked "out of stock, backordered.
Of course I was not charged for them, and if I had called I would have found out right off.

yhs
prof marvel
Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Powder, Percussion Caps, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods,
and
Picture Postcards

Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions
and
Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
[
Available by Appointment for Lectures on Any Topic

Offline olskool

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2020, 05:37:46 PM »
thank you professor! that is what I needed to hear,,,,,,,,,,,

Offline Im2bent

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2020, 03:37:00 PM »
And the best part about Taylor's is they will then ship that 4 dollar backordered part and charge you 10 bucks shipping unless you cancel the backorder . I told them what I think of that policy and I have scratched Taylor's of my vendor list

Offline willy

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2020, 07:20:28 PM »
And the best part about Taylor's is they will then ship that 4 dollar backordered part and charge you 10 bucks shipping unless you cancel the backorder . I told them what I think of that policy and I have scratched Taylor's of my vendor list

Been there,,ordered a grip frame and a ejector rod housing screw,,,Got the screw with somewhere between 8-10$ shipping ,,,The trigger guard was back ordered..

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2020, 10:39:36 AM »

::)   Aw cummon    ::)

Don't be so hard on Taylors.  After all, Taylors just did what you asked them too.  Shipped you the part of your order they had on hand.  Just so you will be happier .... ALL of our parts vendors do it the same way.

I once received a parts order that had been on back order for 3, yes THREE years.  For the life of me, I couldn't remember the job I had ordered the parts for.  9 bucks in small parts with (at the time) 8 bucks for shipping.  I still have the little baggy tacked up on the wall hoping I'll remember what project they are for.  I actually chuckle a lot.  It's really kinda funny. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com