Author Topic: Tang sight for Uberti 1873  (Read 9339 times)

Offline stuck_in_73

• -Jeff
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
Tang sight for Uberti 1873
« on: April 09, 2014, 10:04:14 PM »
Are the Uberti 1873 rifles tapped on the tang for an easy installation for a Marbles tang sight? I  just have the one screw on top of the tang of my rifle. Do I need another screw hole tapped for it?

“Fiery men are soon put out.”

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
Re: Tang sight for Uberti 1873
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2014, 10:14:17 PM »
You answered your own question.  The only screw on a Uberti is the tang screw.  Original Winchesters had two small screws to mount a tang sight.  On the repros the sights usually come with a longer tang screw for the rear and you have to drill and tap a hole for the front screw.

Offline Mike

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2014, 01:11:41 AM »
I put a lyman on my 44 spl 73 my  self,  if I could get a old marbles anf I have one that is what I would use. I also put original beach front sight on it. Not hard to do just make sure you get it square.
Buffalochip

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 07:45:04 PM »

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 360
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2014, 07:08:45 PM »
I got mine from MVA and they are set up like an original Winchester so you tap both screws which is actually better. This way if I take the sight off I can put filler screws in it and it will be like an original and not have a screw drilled into the tang lettering.

If I sell a gun I don't intend on 500-600 dollar worth of sights going with it so if they are tapped like the originals the sight bases will interchange between Uberti or original Winchester's if I should want to switch the sights to another gun.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

Offline stuck_in_73

• -Jeff
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2014, 07:22:57 PM »
I got mine from MVA and they are set up like an original Winchester so you tap both screws which is actually better. This way if I take the sight off I can put filler screws in it and it will be like an original and not have a screw drilled into the tang lettering.

If I sell a gun I don't intend on 500-600 dollar worth of sights going with it so if they are tapped like the originals the sight bases will interchange between Uberti or original Winchester's if I should want to switch the sights to another gun.

Cliff I guess I'm not following. You tap both screws (back and front of tang sight ) that goes into the receiver tang? And I didn't even think of the fact the front tang sight screw will go into the lettering of the "model 1873" stamp. I just was kind of confused. Sorry. And what and where is MVA?
“Fiery men are soon put out.”

Offline Mike

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2014, 12:16:32 AM »
The combanation sight set tang copy of the Marbles and the front Beach type.
Will have to save some funds and get the pair.
Great thanks for the info
Buffalochip

Offline Trooper Hook

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2014, 12:39:31 PM »
Jeff, MVA is Montana Vintage Arms. Here is a link   http://www.montanavintagearms.com/

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2014, 03:53:03 PM »
Cliff I guess I'm not following. You tap both screws (back and front of tang sight ) that goes into the receiver tang? And I didn't even think of the fact the front tang sight screw will go into the lettering of the "model 1873" stamp. I just was kind of confused. Sorry. And what and where is MVA?
Yes the original 73 Winchesters are tapped already with two separate screws.  The marbles way works too.

Johnson County Rangers

Offline ndnchf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2014, 06:10:13 PM »
Just a note of clarification. Not all original 1873s are drilled and tapped for a tang sight.  I don't know for sure, but it may just be rifles, not carbines. My original 73 carbine made in 1892 is not drilled and tapped for one.
"We're all travelers in this world.  From the sweet grass to the packing house, birth till death, we travel between the eternities"  Prentiss Ritter, Broken Trail

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2014, 08:20:01 PM »
Just a note of clarification. Not all original 1873s are drilled and tapped for a tang sight.  I don't know for sure, but it may just be rifles, not carbines. My original 73 carbine made in 1892 is not drilled and tapped for one.

I think your probably right on that, however I can't swear ALL rifles were but all I've had are/were.

Johnson County Rangers

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com