Author Topic: Non-19th Century recipes  (Read 44978 times)

Offline Four-Eyed Buck

• Top Active Citizen
  • Tusco LongRiders,
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Choc-Lit Zucchini Bread
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2005, 02:05:43 PM »
2 1/2 cups flour
1 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup cocoa
1/2 tsp Baking Soda
1 tsp cinnamon
3/4 cup oleo
3 eggs
2 tsp. vanilla
1/2 cup nuts( optional if you're allergic)
2 cups sugar
2 cups grated Zucchini
1/2 cup milk

Beat oleo, sugar and eggs until fluffy. Stir in Zucchini and other ingedients
 Pour into two greased and floured loaf pans.
  Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour.
  Let cool at least 10 minutes before trying to remove from loaf pans
I might be slow, but I'm mostly accurate.....

Offline Capt. Hamp Cox

• Top Active Citizen
  • 1937 Ford & 1941 Hamp in 1947
  • Liked:
Oven Brisket
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2005, 07:04:11 AM »
I do my briskets on a home-built smoker, using aged mesquite or liveoak to provide the heat and smoke.  Prior to acquiring the smoker, I used the following recipe of my mom's, and still do occsionally because it is good and brings back lots of fond memories.

6 lb brisket (if larger, increase other ingredients accordingly)
3 oz liquid smoke
celery salt
onion salt
black pepper
worchestershire sauce
BBQ sauce (your choice)

1st day

Line pan (large enough for your brisket, and at least a couple of inches deep) with aluminum foil (I generally use heavy duty).

Sprinkle brisket generously on both sides with the salts.  Pour on liquid smoke.  Cover with foil and refrigerate.

2nd Day

Sprinkle liberally with pepper and worchestershire sauce.  Cover with foil again and bake @ 275 degrees for 5 hours (or until tender).  Uncover.  Pour BBQ sauce over brisket.  Cover with foil and bake one hour longer.  Pour off most of the juice.  Cool.  Refrigerate covered overnight.

3rd Day

Slice thinly. 

Warm with a little BBQ sauce for one hour at 275 degrees before serving. 

Serve with potato salad, and pinto beans, or your favorite sides.  Have seconds readily available.

Offline litl rooster

• Retired Cowboy... with saddle a 94 and the good book
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
camp chili
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2005, 07:22:22 PM »
 I know everyone has got a chili receipe...This is one I have worked on for 20 years as a guide, camp jack, wrangler...My hunting season as a young man usually started the day after Thanksgiving, being tired of the tradional turkey leftovers is where this started. After 20 years I've got it down to the following. Now I must warn you I learned to cook from my ma and Grandma...They called a teaspoon the smaller spoon in the flatware box. Not one of those measuring devices on a ring with several sizes. This goes for a tablespoon also. A measuring cup was a scoop and nothing more. I use a large cast iron skillet for browning and sauteing. A la
rge enameled pot for the cooking.

soak in a large glass or ceranmic bowl of cold water. 1/2 pound each of white and med kidney beans,(pinto) can and have subsituted the whites, cover and soak over night
2nd bowl soak 1/3 to1/2 pounds of black beans,,,,Optional
 The next morning drain and rince and place all the beans in pot, add enough water to cover, bring to low boil while you prepare the remaining ingrediants.
  In your seasoned skillet, add some left ove turkey chopped to 1/2" to 1" cubes not really big will cook down to bite size pieces. Also add some chopped or cubed up BEEF pieces round steak, venison, elk even Buffalo has been used in this. They are all good. Usually I used leftover roast or steak pieces.
Now dice up 2 medium onions I prefer vidallias but they are not always available,
chp or mince 2 to 3 cloves of garlic
reserve half the onion and add the balance with the garlic in the skillet with meat. Simmer in with meat.
  To the big pot add the balance add of  the onions and the following ingrediants
4 or 5 medium tomatoes I prefer Romas. clean them and chop in medium size pieces
2 or 3 Jalpenos, steamed seeded rinced and sliced into thin slices
1 10oz can of tomatoe sauce, if you can tomatoe sauce at home add that. Hunts does not pay me anything for using their brand or mentioning it.
now add 1 tablespoon each more if you desire
 The dark prepared chili powder
  light prepared chili powder
cheyene powder... I buy most of my spices in the Mexican foods section at the store, there in cellofane pakages with yellow and red labels with spanish and english labels, They are a 1/3 of the price of the canned spices and more by weight.
 Now crack some black pepper over your hot meat mixture, stir it into the pot.

Cook over medium heat around 4 hours, stir occassionally...don't be afraid to taste it and add more chili's.
around the third hour of cooking add 1 tablespoon of peanut butter and drain 1 small can of garbonzo beans and add it, cook another hour.

Reading this I guess I negelected to say you need approx. 1 pound each of the beef and turkey, however more won't hurt. My pot will serve 10 to 12 servings. Serving with Johnny cake(cornbread from the skillet) or Biscuits and or Tortillas
Mathew 5.9

Advertising

Re: Non-19th Century recipes
« Reply #23 on: Today at 05:15:05 AM »

Offline Ruff Justice

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
CROCK POT SQUIRREL
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2005, 01:11:15 PM »
7 or 8 gray squirrels
Flour
Cooking oil
Salt and pepper
1-medium onion
8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
2-cans creamy chicken mushroom soup
2-cups sour cream
2-cups water

Dress the squirrels and cut them into pieces. Salt and pepper them, then roll in flour. Heat some cooking oil in a large frying pan and brown the squirrels.Put the squirrel pieces into a crock pot. Add soup, water,onions,and mushrooms.Turn the crock pot to high for 1/2 hour. Then turn thee heat to low, add sour cream, and cook for at least 6 hours enjoy!!
Rufford B. "Ruff" Justice
SASS #16965, WASA #155, GHSS CP-088, Oregon Trail Regulators (Nebraska) #7
RO I & II
Double Barrel C's Land and Cattle Co.
Orlando, FL

Offline Marshal'ette Halloway

• The Marshal's Boss & Head Rebel Rowser
  • Peace Officer
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Two theories to arguin' with a woman. Neither work
    • The Perfect Touch
  • Liked:
Pinto Bean Pie
« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2005, 10:37:38 PM »
PINTO BEAN PIE

1 stick oleo
    1 tsp vanilla
    1/2 cup coconut
    3/4 cup brown sugar
    1 egg
    1/2 cup mashed, cooked pinto beans
    3/4 cup sugar

Mix all ingredients together until well blended.
 Pour into  unbaked 9" pie shell.
 Bake at 350 deg for 40 minutes or until done.

(tastes like pecan pie)

SASS #56524, BCVC #26

The smell of heaven is Fresh Baked Bread and Gun Powder.

Offline Four-Eyed Buck

• Top Active Citizen
  • Tusco LongRiders,
  • Liked:
Graham Cracker Loaf ( Old receipe of my Mom's)
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2005, 08:06:24 PM »
Okay, I mentioned this a few months ago and after tearing things apart for awhile today, ran across this version of it, not the original sheet I remember, but think I can fill in the blanks from memory( please stay away, CRS!)
                   Graham Cracker Loaf
    24 Graham Crackers + 4 for rolling the loaf or loaves in
    1/2 package of mini marshmellows( or cut up full sized ones to equal( time consuming, but I can remember doing this as a kid))
     1/2 lb English Walnuts
     1/2 lb dates( pitted)
     1/2 pint coffee cream
       small jar of red cherries( believe these are Maraschino)

Roll crackers with rolling pin to crush them, chop walnuts, cut up dates( dipping scissors in water will help with the stickies), cut up cherries( water trick will help here as well).
 Mix 24 crushed grahams and other chopped/cut items adding the cream, should make for a good thick consistencey. Shape mixture into loaves( should make two fair sized ones, IIRC). roll these in the 4 other crushed grahams and wrap in waxed paper. Place in the refridgerator
  To serve, cut into slices and top with whipped cream

Mom and I made this every Christmas when I was little, wasn't really Christmas time until we did. If you do make this and enjoy this, please think of my Mom as she's gone now and all I have is the memories and a few half scribbled receipes as she mostly did this stuff from rote...................Buck 8) :) :) :'(
I might be slow, but I'm mostly accurate.....

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Misc Recipes
« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2010, 02:12:40 PM »
These are the ones that either are not period or the ones I'm not sure of, feel free to PM me of any you think should be moved.
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: Non-19th Century recipes
« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2010, 03:22:08 PM »
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com