Author Topic: What about Slings on rifles in the Old West?  (Read 3355 times)

Offline Rube Burrows

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 84934
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 691
What about Slings on rifles in the Old West?
« on: May 18, 2020, 01:24:31 PM »
The other thread about shooting with a sling got me wondering about slings in general. Anyone have period photos of lever action rifles or something with slings on them? I would think they could come in handy with something like a 1886 or 1876 rifle.
"If legal action will not work use lever action and administer the law with Winchesters" ~ Louis L'Amour

SASS# 84934
RATS#288

Offline 1961MJS

• Top Active Citizen
  • GAF #: 797
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 32
Re: What about Slings on rifles in the Old West?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2020, 04:09:25 PM »
Hi

O.K.  I shoot more Indian war military stuff and those have slings, but on a lever gun, nope.  Heck, I've never seen an 1873 Carbine with a saddle ring where the ring had something attached to it.  Somehow, that bothers me, and I don't own a saddle ring carbine (yet).'

Interesting, I'll try and look some more.

Later

Mike
BOSS #230

Brevet Lieutenant Colonel
Division of Oklahoma

Offline Cap'n Redneck

• Commd'g Co. D, Frontier Batt'n, Texas Rangers.
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Cap'n Redneck SWS #163.
  • GAF #: 273
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2020, 05:52:39 PM »
These are reproduction "hook type sling swivels" that were used on early Winchesters.  The Henry used one on the barrel sling mount, and the Winchester 1873 and 1876 had one at each end of the sling.

https://www.dixiegunworks.com/index/page/product/product_id/6782/category_id/539/category_chain/616,520,539/product_name/XP0528+Hook-Type+Sling+Swivels+%28pr.%29+For+HenryEarly+Winchester+Hook+Type+Sling+Swivels

Rear swivel ass'y for Henry rifle:

https://www.dixiegunworks.com/index/page/product/product_id/6793/category_id/539/category_chain/616,520,539/product_name/XP2310+Rear+Swivel+Assembly+wscrews+For+Reproduction+Henry+Rifle

Front swivel loop for Henry rifle:

https://www.dixiegunworks.com/index/page/product/product_id/3652/category_id/493/category_chain/616,439,493/product_name/MP0527+Sling+Swivel+Loop+%28upper%29+For+Original+Henry+Rifle

Reproduction leather sling w/ one steel hook and brass buckle for Henry rifle:

https://www.dixiegunworks.com/index/page/product/product_id/215/category_id/539/category_chain/616,520,539/product_name/AL0503+Henry+Rifle+Sling

The studs that the hooks engage in on the Winchesters seems to be sold out at Dixie Gun Works, S&S Firearms and Buffalo Arms Company.  However, they look similar to the stud in this blister-pack sold by DGW.

https://www.dixiegunworks.com/index/page/search?FullText=sling+swivel#product_listing=%3Fcurrent_page%3D2%26results_per_page%3D16%26order_by%3Dcategory_product_position%26search_params%3DFullText%3Asling%2520swivel%26search_params%3DFullText%3Asling%2520swivel

"As long as there's lead in the air, there's still hope..."
Frontiersman & Frontiersman Gunfighter: The only two categories where you can play with your balls and shoot your wad while tweaking the nipples on a pair of 44s.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 08:27:23 AM »

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 463
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2020, 07:38:37 PM »
These are CW time period. Still interesting to see.

I have a recollection that there was an image of Luther "Yellowstone" Kelly with a slung rifle, but I have not run across it.

RCJ
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Online Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2020, 08:22:35 PM »

:D  I was about to Runamouk spouting about all the hysterical reference and photographs abounding with specific reference to Slings.  Alas, they were all referencing MILITARY rifles.  Including but not limited to the Turks with their 1866s.

However, the OP wasn't/ins't asking about military stuff.  I don't think.  So, um, never mind.  My bad.   

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2020, 09:30:20 PM »
I recall a film , about Canadian - mounted police or the Northwest ....  maybe " Death Hunt " with slinged Lever guns
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Niederlander

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2020, 09:37:39 PM »
According to "The Winchester Book" you could order a sling eyes on your rifle.  If they offered it, there had to be at least a few.
"There go those Nebraskans, and all hell couldn't stop them!"

Offline Rube Burrows

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2020, 06:51:54 AM »
These are reproduction "hook type sling swivels" that were used on early Winchesters.  The Henry used one on the barrel sling mount, and the Winchester 1873 and 1876 had one at each end of the sling.

https://www.dixiegunworks.com/index/page/product/product_id/6782/category_id/539/category_chain/616,520,539/product_name/XP0528+Hook-Type+Sling+Swivels+%28pr.%29+For+HenryEarly+Winchester+Hook+Type+Sling+Swivels

Rear swivel ass'y for Henry rifle:

https://www.dixiegunworks.com/index/page/product/product_id/6793/category_id/539/category_chain/616,520,539/product_name/XP2310+Rear+Swivel+Assembly+wscrews+For+Reproduction+Henry+Rifle

Front swivel loop for Henry rifle:

https://www.dixiegunworks.com/index/page/product/product_id/3652/category_id/493/category_chain/616,439,493/product_name/MP0527+Sling+Swivel+Loop+%28upper%29+For+Original+Henry+Rifle

Reproduction leather sling w/ one steel hook and brass buckle for Henry rifle:

https://www.dixiegunworks.com/index/page/product/product_id/215/category_id/539/category_chain/616,520,539/product_name/AL0503+Henry+Rifle+Sling

The studs that the hooks engage in on the Winchesters seems to be sold out at Dixie Gun Works, S&S Firearms and Buffalo Arms Company.  However, they look similar to the stud in this blister-pack sold by DGW.

https://www.dixiegunworks.com/index/page/search?FullText=sling+swivel#product_listing=%3Fcurrent_page%3D2%26results_per_page%3D16%26order_by%3Dcategory_product_position%26search_params%3DFullText%3Asling%2520swivel%26search_params%3DFullText%3Asling%2520swivel

I forgot about the Military Henry's having slings. Thanks for the post.
"If legal action will not work use lever action and administer the law with Winchesters" ~ Louis L'Amour

SASS# 84934
RATS#288

Offline Rube Burrows

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2020, 06:53:53 AM »
:D  I was about to Runamouk spouting about all the hysterical reference and photographs abounding with specific reference to Slings.  Alas, they were all referencing MILITARY rifles.  Including but not limited to the Turks with their 1866s.

However, the OP wasn't/ins't asking about military stuff.  I don't think.  So, um, never mind.  My bad.

Yes, I knew the military had several types of slings for guns. I assume that some made their way to other guns but I just haven't noticed (that I remember) seeing any lever guns in period photos with slings.

SASS# 84934
RATS#288

Offline Rube Burrows

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2020, 07:06:57 AM »
I forgot I had the Winchester Book tucked away. There is a Henry in there with a sling attached. Still, I’d like to see one in use in a period photo.

SASS# 84934
RATS#288

Offline ndnchf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2020, 08:42:00 AM »
My .44 cal. #2 Remington rolling block with original factory sling studs and hook swivels.  My best guess is this rifle was made 1879 - 1881.
"We're all travelers in this world.  From the sweet grass to the packing house, birth till death, we travel between the eternities"  Prentiss Ritter, Broken Trail

Offline nativeshootist

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2020, 10:47:54 AM »
Here's an original 66 rifle with a sling.

Offline Robert Swartz

• Top Active Citizen
  • GAF #: 892
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2020, 09:02:18 PM »
..we-lll, here's where practical meets lack of pictorial evidence meets "if they'd a had it, they'd a used it. I'm an old trapper, guide or just a drifter. I'm tired of carrying this old rifle. I don't have a scabbard. Fashioning a sling out of rope or leather, if available makes sense. Old hunters had been doing that for decades already. If one had served in the Army at some point, you would know the value of slinging a rifle on your back versus carrying it on a saddle or in a boot with a sling. Just my random thoughts.....
"Copperhead Bob"
GAF# 892
Sgt Maj (ret) 2nd KY Vols 1812 era
Lt (ret) Rogers Rangers F&I
Booshway 2021Thundercreek Rendevous

Online Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2020, 10:26:14 AM »

:)Well Heck ;)

Some Lustrum ago, I absolutely had to have a Martial Henry with the Sling hardware as OEM stuff.  Got one.  Then, of course, I had to chase down a reproduction sling.  Got one.  Now What???  If your playing the CAS game, one cannot utilize the sling to steady ones aim.  Besides, looping up the sling is way too time consuming.  Still like my sling though.  Looks really KOOL!!!  Even though I really can't use it for a practical practice, it still looks amazingly KOOL!!

Hide and Watch

Offline Books OToole

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Michael Tatham
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 91
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2020, 12:19:32 PM »
A sling just comes in handy transporting all of your stuff to the next stage.  And it makes it easier to pick out your '66 from the rack that has 6 or more. (So far mine is the only '66 with a sling in all the matches that I have shot at.)

Books

(Sorry the photo shows off my gut more that the sling. :-[ )
G.I.L.S.

K.V.C.
N.C.O.W.S. 2279 - Senator
Hiram's Rangers C-3
G.A.F. 415
S.F.T.A.

Online Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2020, 09:56:07 AM »

:)  Hey Books   ;)

Got any Tin Types of yer sling "hardware??"  Looks some nifty.  Yer '66 appears to have some excess steel inna barrel and Mag Tube.  That can be fix'd ya know.  My '66 has a really long barrel too.  About 16 and a quarter inches.  Sling onna Trapper be really KOOL??

Hide and Watch

Offline Tsalagidave

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dave Rodgers
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 61
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2020, 05:40:20 PM »
I have a few artist renditions depicting civilian arms with slings.

The first is of a Free-Soil Abolitionist, irregular militia (Pottawatomie Rifles) ca. 1855-56 who provided their own arms and while many used civilian rifles and shotguns, the sling featured on the mounted individual (first picture) may or may not be a military arm.

The second picture features 'Missouri Ruffians' crossing over the border into Kansas to interfere with elections. This piece was done around 1860 and also prominently features a civilian hunting rifle with sling.

The third picture is from an original 1856 Newspaper (Ballou's Pictorial) and is a zoom in of the famous engraving 'California Emigrants Last Day on the Plains' where it clearly shows the wagon train's lead scout along with another traveler each with a sling on their civilian hunting rifles.

Guns don't kill people; fathers with pretty daughters do.

Online Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2020, 08:47:20 AM »

:)  Wheeeeeeeeee   ;)

As I may have mentioned earlier (actually I did) I just "had to have" a martial Henry Rifle of which I sourced one and was very happy.  Then I sourced a Sling and was even happier.  Finally one day I actually installed said sling on said Henry and was ecstatic as it twer.  Looked absolutely the Biz!!!  Oh Glorious Henry with Sling.

Then, in a moment of Euphony I came to realize said rifle needed to be a Carbine.  Yessssssssss.  After consulting with a certain Hacksaw MacGurk, the Carbine was realized.

Then with great fanfare and aplomb, The Carabiner with Slig was introduced for public display, adoration, and great FUN at a Three Day Annual CAS match.  Oh Wonderousness!!  But . . . . That glorious sling managed to get tangled up in absolutely everything.  The Props, The Facades, My Kart, The Load/Unload tables, adfiniteum!!  After the first stage, I removed said marvelous sling.  And Good Riddance.

Live Long and Prosper   

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com