Author Topic: New Spencer  (Read 2547 times)

1816flintlock

New Spencer
« on: May 17, 2008, 06:17:14 PM »
It seems like no one on here has bought a new Spencer recently.  So, I did my part today at a local gunshow and found some company for my Taylors Spencer rifle in 56-50 and bought a carbine in 56-50 .  I'm doing my part to patriotic  stimulating the economy while thumbing my nose at the clowns running for office.  Got it for $1000 out the door.  It was made in 2004 according to the date code in the proofmarks, unfired, never appears to have even had the hammer dropped.  This carbine has the Lane extractor but, still has the case colored breechblock and tumbler.  Any one have input as to how the eariler guns with the case colored blocks are holding up?  I know Armisport changed heat treatment methods on the blocks and internal lock parts of the newer guns.  Its a nice looking carbine, I'm looking forward to testing it.

Stephen

Offline Two Flints

• Spencer Shooting Society Founder & Moderator
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Moderating SSS IS a "Labor of Love"!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
Re: New Spencer
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2008, 06:42:33 PM »
Hi 1816flintlock,

Congrats on your new Spencer.  You are now in a great position to give SSS a shooting comparison between your Spencer rifle and carbine.  Would you mind?  I've been asked several times to explain the differences between the rifle and carbine - shooting and other wise.  But, I only have the carbine.  If you ever get the time would you please post a comparison of the two?

Thanks,

Two Flints

Una mano lava l'altra
Moderating SSS is a "labor of love"
Viet Vet  '68-69
3/12 - 4th Inf Div
Spencer Shooting Society Moderator
Spencer Shooting Society (SSS) #4;
BOSS #62
NRA; GOAL; SAM; NMLRA
Fur Trade Era - Mountain Man
Traditional Archery

Offline Fox Creek Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 108
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2008, 12:58:59 PM »
I have an early one (bought in Jan. 2004) with the color cased breechblock and it's great. I had to remove some burrs but that's normal on any new gun. The only real complaint I had was the soft sear which was worthless. It was color cased as well and so was the worthless replacement they sent me. Finally I got a good hard sear from Taylor's that was blued & they told me there had been a problem with the contracted sear maker in Italy. My breechblock has a little peening around the firing pin hole that was caused by inconsistent rim thickness on crappy Bell brass, but that was before the Starline stuff came out.  ;)

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 02:21:30 PM »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com