Author Topic: Copper Rivets  (Read 993 times)

Offline Marshal Will Wingam

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smile. It makes people wonder what you're up to.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
Copper Rivets
« on: October 23, 2021, 09:37:32 PM »
Until now, I've set copper rivets with a small ball peen hammer but am looking for a cleaner way to install them.

Does anyone know what a properly installed copper rivet should look like? I tried bucking one with my aircraft rivet gun and got this. The burr looks too dished to me. Also it started to go off to the side and it was impossible to get it straight after that. I had about 1-1/2 diameters of the rivet shank protruding above the burr. I think that was a little long so it took a lot of working to get it set.

Any feedback on how these should be?

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
Re: Copper Rivets
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2021, 12:19:01 AM »
I use the  Size 9 Copper Rivet & Burr Setter ..leave about 3/32 or 1/8 proud,  once I set then the rivet  I use the mushroom rose to expand, and just one light hit with a a hammer to put a flat on the rose...

Not sure I'm explaining all that well  :-\

https://video.search.yahoo.com/search/video?fr=ymyy-t-s&ei=UTF-8&p=copper+rivet+setting+tool#action=view&id=2&vid=8cfd0da7b898229bbf71e1cc6a683010
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Rube Burrows

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 84934
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 691
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2021, 08:16:13 AM »
I use the  Size 9 Copper Rivet & Burr Setter ..leave about 3/32 or 1/8 proud,  once I set then the rivet  I use the mushroom rose to expand, and just one light hit with a a hammer to put a flat on the rose...

Not sure I'm explaining all that well  :-\

https://video.search.yahoo.com/search/video?fr=ymyy-t-s&ei=UTF-8&p=copper+rivet+setting+tool#action=view&id=2&vid=8cfd0da7b898229bbf71e1cc6a683010

That is what I use also. I cut the shank off to about 1/8" and then us the tool to mushroom it out. If I had a small anvil or something more sturdy I could get a better and more uniformed mushroom like on blue jeans because when the rivet is where I can get to it on the anvil of my vise it works perfect. When I have to improvise its not as neat.

My hardest thing is finding a proper cutting tool that will actually do the job of cutting the number 9 rivet. I have tried three different cutting tools and none work well. The one I have now cuts it but I have to put a large pair of channel locks on them to be able to squeeze the cutting tool enough to cut the bur.
"If legal action will not work use lever action and administer the law with Winchesters" ~ Louis L'Amour

SASS# 84934
RATS#288

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 11:15:04 AM »

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2021, 10:10:59 AM »
Thanks for the information, guys. I have one of those setting tools and have been cutting them off about the same but my setting tool doesn't work all that well. It tends to bend the rivets over rather than mushroom them. Maybe I'll have to find a better made one. Or make one myself if I can't find a good quality setting tool. I made one to install the burrs for my #12 rivets and do have some good tool steel to make one from. Perhaps I'll have better luck with that.

If anyone has a good closeup photo of a properly set rivet, I'd be interested in seeing it.

Offline Skeeter Lewis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2021, 10:50:36 AM »
Chuck Burrows recommended Bob Douglas's three-piece set of tools. I bought it several years ago.
The first tool drives the washer down. The second tool shapes the rivet head. the third tool domes the other end of the rivet. They work well and they are simple to use. I don't need to hammer the rivet head at all.
I use the set designed for#14 rivets.

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 360
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2021, 12:57:23 PM »
I tried those store bought ones but never liked them and didn't think they work well so I make my own setting tools, I'll attempt to post pictures next time I'm in the shop.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2021, 01:13:14 PM »
Thanks for the good information on Bob Douglas' tools, Skeeter. I obviously have marginal tools. I made one to drive the burr down on the rivet that works great. Maybe I can also make one that sets and shapes the rivet properly.

Cliff, photos of your tools would help give me direction on making my own.

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2021, 04:00:09 PM »
I used the same tools but just took the tip out of the rivet gun and used it with a hammer so I'd have more control. I reduced the amount of rivet sticking up to about half what I had before. That makes it about 3/4 diameter.

It came out better. Any other ideas or input?

That rivet gun tip won't be usable in the gun after a few rivets so I'll just have to replace that if I need that size for any aircraft rivets.

Offline Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Live To Fight Another Day
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2021, 10:32:02 AM »
That’s about as perfect as it gets Will, it takes a little playing with to get the crown your looking for, this one you posted is what I call perfect.

tEN wOLVES.  ;D ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 360
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2021, 10:32:42 AM »
Marshal my photos are too large and I don't know how to resize.

Basically my tools are close to what you showed. I made them from A2 tool steel and make the end the same size as the anvil. One has a hole to set the anvil and I use a ball endmill to make the round indentation to round the stem.

Another little trick, I took a piece of oak stair railing and set a stem in it proud enough to use it as an anvil and on anything such as inside of a holster where you want to make sure the rivet is below the surface I carefully put the rivet over the anvil when setting and staking the rivet and it will leave it below the surface on the back side so it won't rub a gun or knife, etc.

Also helps to remove a small amount of material around the hole and dampen it to help the back side set below the surface.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2021, 07:32:05 PM »
Thanks, TW.

Thank you for the tips, Cliff. Don't worry about the photos. What I have works good. I like the anvil idea to set the rivet below the inside of the leather. I'll do something similar.

Now I have to come up with a project to try it out.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com