Author Topic: I Gave Up!  (Read 2152 times)

Offline Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Speed Junky
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
I Gave Up!
« on: February 19, 2007, 12:23:30 PM »
Givin' up.  This is a hard thing.  I've been cowboy action shooting at matches from CA to TX for over 20 years.  Unfortunately with my travel schedule lately, I ain't been shootin' as much as I'd like, but... one has to earn that living thing.

For the past couple of years, I've been hounded pretty regular by an awful lot of new folks.  Folks with badges that number above 50,000!  It's become wearisome in the extreme.  I ain't no spring chicken, and been around firearms since I was 19.  (Dad didn't have 'em in the city, and since he'd gotten off the farm, he was glad to be rid of all farm "chores".  To him, huntin' was a "chore".  So I was introduced and indoctrinated into the exciting and wonderful world of firearms by my Uncle Sugar.  My first personal acquisition was a Winchester Model 94 in .44 Rem Mag, while I was in VN.  Yep, that's right folks.  Downright wonderful feeling to be tied to history.  Second acquisition was a Winchester Model 64A in .30-30 later that year.  A love affair of over thirty years was in full bloom.  In the early '80s I kept hearing rumors about a shooting sport that combined the speed of IPSC and the allure of the old west.  Even saw a couple of magazine articles.  But couldn't find the matches, nor ANYONE that had been there.

One day at the local public range, I spied a fellar wearing an "End Of Trail" T-Shirt.  I ain't usually so forward, but I up and interrupted his shooting and pestered him with questions.  I 'spose to shut me up, he made an invite to join him the following Sunday for the January meeting at the Coto De Caza shootin' club for the month cowboy action shoot.  So I showed up, with my Colt .45 SAA, 1919 Riverside Arms twice by 12 ga., and a fairly new 1979 Winchester .30-30 carbine.  I was politely told my carbine would have to stay in the truck, it couldn't play! :(

But, being the fine folks that the vast majority of Cowboy Action Shooters are, someone took pity on me and allowed me to borrow their pistol caliber carbine.

For the next several years, I don't think I missed a match, unless I was sick, or some other emergency came up.  I was gone so much that my wife decided she had to come out and play just so she could see me on at least one of her days off each week.  Between work and play, my son referred to me as his "used to be Dad"! ::)  But, then he started playing also.  During all this time, we carried a six-shooter, carbine, shotgun, ammo for them all, and a bag for empties, for reloading was necessary for us to be able to afford three shooters on my salary in hand around the ranges.  Hadn't anyone thought up a "gun-cart" yet.

I think it was in 1989 I saw my first gun cart.  Sgt. Mack brought it out to End of Trail.  What a novel idea.  However, within a year or two they'd become a plague on the range.  Sometimes you couldn't get to the stage for all the gun carts blocking paths, and generally becoming worser'n rush hour in downtown LA!  I stuck to my principles and kept a carryin' my guns.  Oh, not to think that I didn't think about a gun cart.  But... they just didn't seem... right.  There wasn't a one that appeared period.  Oh, I saw a couple that were scaled down versions of chuck wagons and buggys, freight wagons and even rollin' houses of ill-repute!  But, dagnab it, if I was going to build one, it had to be better than average, appear period correct and most of all, be convenient.

At around this time, I decided I'd bring a real authentic and fully functional guncart to the range.  While MissFits is fully gun broke, having shot mounted off her several times and her being a regular, certified lawdawg horse, the other folks didn't seem to appreciate that emissions from such a conveyance are pert' much uncontrollable. ::) :o  It was deemed better to leave "Missy" in the barn!

And so I drug my guns around for years.  It slowly became a matter of pride that "I didn't need no STICKIN' GUNCART!"  But being berated for carryin' my guns in a safe manner, but agin' the all-knowing and wise written rule by SASS was becoming tiresome.  For in truth, tho' I carry a low SASS number and count myself in the 1st 100 or so members, (my wife's number even way lower), I have been carrying my long guns thusly for years.  As a lawman of no small experience, and long time weekly skeet shooter, when did it become "unsafe" to carry an open side by side (or over/under) drapped over the forearm for all the world to see your chambers were empty.  I think not.  No, it isn't kosher to carry your '97 Winnie in such a fashion, but, in truth... TOO BAD!  That's your choice that you picked the cumbersome and yes, dare I say, SLOWEST RATE OF FIRE, shotgun allowed in the game.  For sooth, one must bear the consequences of your decisions, but why make the knowledgeable and considerate shooter who chooses the mighty and swift side by side shotgun carry his in such a fashion that the action will actually close as you walk along.  Personally, the rifle is a moot point.  But, in truth, it matters not one whit whether it be carried muzzle up or muzzle down, as long as the action is open and viewable for all the world to see that you present no clear and immediate danger.  For in actual fact, the most comfortable way for a person to carry his long guns for an all day session of shooting is by drapping the shotgun (broken open of course) over his left or right forearm, and the rifle in the hand of the same arm, again with the action open.  This leaves the other hand available to carry all sorts of odds and ends.  Namely the bag of ufired ammo and a bag for collectiing empties if that desire so resides in you.

But, no, it's is easier to pick a fellow competitor to pieces, berating him for being "unsafe" although in my opinion, some of those berating me, are only parroting what they read in the SASS handbook as they have no "uncommon good sense".  Nor have they any experience in any shooting discipline outside of CAS.  So, of late, I have found myself accepting the offers of fellow shooters and friends to use the space available in their gun cart for my ease and pleasure.  And of these folks I have fond regard.  Whether they actually thought I was the ultimate fool or the worst example of safety violations on the range, they restrained their complaints or lectures and instead, did the friendly and neighborly act of sharing in their unused space.  And in return they often found a willing mule to lug their contractions around the range.  I will admit to enjoying the ride in Doc Brazos' converted golf cart the best! ;D ;D ;D

So, over the last year or so, I have found myself looking, planning, and trying to decide on a design for a guncart that I would build.  I have remained uncommitted to any particular design, as they all seem to have some flaw, or feature I find repulsive, or I just plain don't want to put forth the effort into something that I actually loathe the need for.  When, imagine my surprise when visiting an old and dear friend this past Saturday and while we were, as all good companionable cowboy action shooters are wont to do when meeting, discussing the affairs de state of Cowboy Action Shooting, I made mention of this desire to obtain a gun cart.  But, as I told him, in reality, have NO practical experience in the use nor drawbacks in any, in but, only the most theoretical sense.  And therefor, I just couldn't reach a decision.  Whereupon my good friend and fellow SASS Endowment member, Hondo, SASS#51, told me that he had recently been gifted a slightly used guncart from another long time shooter that he had no use of.  I do believe, in understanding my delimma, and possibly short-circuiting any objections, he then drug me outside to show me this wonderous contraption!

Gosh, I found myself admiring the sturdiness of it's construction.  The simple format ensured that it was very possibly easily modified if the need so struck me.  While it was a little battered, and weathered, it's sturdiness of construction made it abundantly clear that simply refiinishing the wood would make this a beautiful and admirable cart.  In addition, it has attached on it front, a wonderfully executed logo of the OWSA in a contrasting wood.  As an admirer of Bill and Dorothy Hahn, I felt this small tribute to their contributions to the Sport of Cowboy Action Shooting should not sit and weather away.  So after picking up the box, and cramming into my Peterbilt to accompany me back to Texas (someday, after a trip to NY) I departed Hondos and made my way to a truck stop to await my next load.  It turned out I had another full day of waiting, so yesterday morning I dug the cart from the confines of my sleeper and broke out my stock refinishing tools.  Sand paper and Hornby's Tung Oil!  A couple of minutes of additional disassembly had it ready for the sander.   The powersander was cranked up, and was in fine shape as I'd recently just finished a project 94 Winchester Trapper.  A little elbow grease, swift application of the 320 grit, followed by a little compressed air to blow off the dust, and a new coat of Tung Oil has this old cart sparkling.  Not to be a slackerd, a little 0000 steel wool when that coat dried and then another coat.  The warm (89 degree) temperature of sunny Southern California had this second coat dry before the laborer tired and demanded his pay.  Since it doesn't fit in the confines of my Peterbilt sleeper completely assembled, it remains partially broken down for shipping.  I neglected to take a photo as the wheels haven't been re-installed.  Otherwise I would share in the fine workmanship it's original owner had bestowed upon it.

I'll post a photo of it when it's reassembled and outfitted properly.  Maybe I'll even carry some guns around in it and really show off!

And today I'm posting said promised pictures.  I'm again at a truck stop, only this time in Kingsville, OH.  Yep, plenty of white stuff on the ground, and cold enough for a "now Texas" boy to feel like it was freezin' @ 26 degs F.

Side view, unfortunately the sun was unwilling to cooperate with my parking spot to keep the shadows to a minimum:

Full frontal shot:  (sorry boys, you ain't getting to see the top off!) ;D

And the devil in the details:

It may not be the prettiest nor fanciest gun cart at the range, or at any range for that matter, but... it's my first one.  Given the cost, (total to date being a little elbow grease) I have more than money invested.  So scoff, make fun, or... whatever, just like that beat up ol' '50 Ford Woody that was my first car, I'm right PROUD!
Griff
SASS/CMSA #93 Endowment
LSFSC Life
NRA Life

Offline Silver Creek Slim

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 2329
  • GAF #: 144
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 109
Re: I Gave Up!
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2007, 01:41:12 PM »
Congrats, pard.

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

Offline Stump Water

• I ain't gonna worry about it.
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2007, 04:10:42 PM »
Oh... sure... just tease us with the short version.   :D ;)

Good read.  Can't wait to see the tintypes.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 04:20:29 AM »

Offline Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Speed Junky
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2007, 05:58:28 PM »
Oh... sure... just tease us with the short version.   :D ;)

Good read.  Can't wait to see the tintypes.
;D ;D ;D ;D
Griff
SASS/CMSA #93 Endowment
LSFSC Life
NRA Life

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 423
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2007, 07:59:55 AM »
Good story , nice twist in the plot .. I though you were saying adios to CAS...
can't wait for the movie  ;D
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Speed Junky
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Yesterday at 07:05:43 PM »
Good story , nice twist in the plot .. I though you were saying adios to CAS...
can't wait for the movie  ;D
17+ years later, I'm still using this same cart.  It's in need of a "freshening"... but still serviceable! 
Griff
SASS/CMSA #93 Endowment
LSFSC Life
NRA Life

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1215
« Reply #6 on: Yesterday at 07:09:59 PM »
And 17 years later you still showing that old picture?   :)  You probably didn't even have a digital camera back then.  You do have one of those now, right?   ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com