Author Topic: Can't Be USAF looks like Colt  (Read 1602 times)

Offline russ1943

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
Can't Be USAF looks like Colt
« on: July 04, 2019, 01:41:01 PM »
Saw this gunbroker listed as USFA S/N 58512 , 45LC 5.5" beat up looks like a parts gun on Colt Frame Bulls Eye ejector, cross pin, USFA Barrel,  Frame and back strap matching S/N .  Loading gate does not match.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/820037671

Any thoughts

Offline willy

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
Re: Can't Be USAF looks like Colt
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2019, 04:12:48 PM »
Not a Colt frame.
Colt stopped using the three line patent date in 1890..and they didn't make the cross bolt cylinder retaining pin for the model P until 1896.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2019, 08:53:22 AM »

Of course it can't be USAF   >:(   "USAF" is "United States Air Force."    ;D   If I remember correctly, "looking like a Colt" was the plan for USFA SAs as well as everyone else's

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 11:50:04 PM »

Offline Dave T

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 908
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2019, 10:59:23 AM »
Gentleman,

It is a USFA "Gunslinger" model (I hate that name) and is made of all USA sourced parts, i.e. one of the good ones. The 58,XXX serial range is correct for that model. I know because I have two of them. One is a black powder framed 7-1/2" 45 Colt. The second is a 4-3/4" smokeless framed 38 Colt and Smith & Wesson Special.

When I first read about these I thought it was a dumb idea. When I actually saw one I was completely taken and bought the first one I came across (the 7-1/2"). I was told, I believe here on CASCity, that they didn't just leave the guns in the white to rust, rather they came up with an actual finish that gives the vintage appearance but doesn't continue to rust. The two guns I have have stayed in original condition with no futher rusting. They do show a little holster wear in all the usual places, making me think it is an actual finish as I was told.

Dave

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com