Author Topic: "New" Spencer bullet OAL  (Read 1619 times)

Offline Crazeyiven

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
"New" Spencer bullet OAL
« on: May 22, 2018, 03:58:04 AM »
Instead of incessant trial and error is there a method to determine what OAL will work in a given gun?  I suppose that it would be too much to ask for a given OAL to work in all repo Spencers?

Can you imagine your Winchester being a crap shoot to feed as is the Spencer?  Of course the Winchester's lifter gives one a very good jump on where to set the length.  I have 3 44-40's ... they all shoot the ammo.  Does the spencer have such a measuring point ... that does not require trial and error until, by surprise, you draw a lucky number that will let TWO rounds feed without jamming?

It would seem that the originals, with more than one mfgr of ammo, could deal with variations.  Sure the originals had pointed bullets, and current must be flat nose.  But, for $2000 it should be able to handle "standard" ammo?

Beginning to wonder if it has more to do with sloppy tolerances than ammo.

Frustrated.  Suggestions?  Comments?

Thanks in advance.
David

Offline ndnchf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: "New" Spencer bullet OAL
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2018, 04:41:46 PM »
I think finding the proper length for each rifle is a rite of passage. My own adventure with a model 1871 Springfield Spencer was an ordeal. It has a very small window that will work. My experiences are documented here.

http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php/topic,49487.0.html
"We're all travelers in this world.  From the sweet grass to the packing house, birth till death, we travel between the eternities"  Prentiss Ritter, Broken Trail

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2018, 07:40:14 PM »
If everyone used the same bullet with the same profile, you could have a standard length.  But in the Spencer action, the profile of the bullet nose determines the oal within a set of parameters determined by the action.  Thus any change in bullet design requires a reset of oal.  Its a testament to a crude yet compact system.  The Spencer is more compact, stronger, simpler and easier to produce than the Henry design, (in the time period) but compromises this with sloppy and cantankerous feeding.
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 03:01:36 PM »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com