Author Topic: Informative Book on the Comanche  (Read 15739 times)

Offline Good Troy

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 98102
  • NCOWS #: 3791
  • GAF #: 835
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 23
Informative Book on the Comanche
« on: August 21, 2015, 09:35:27 AM »
I recently finished a book entitled "Comanches: The History of a People". 

http://www.amazon.com/Comanches-History-People-T-R-Fehrenbach/dp/1400030498

The book pretty much does what the title says.  It gives a history of the Comanches. 
I'm not typically interested in "history" books.  My wife mistakenly bought this for me years ago instead of another book I'd requested.  However, I was quite surprised at how interested I was in the subject once I got off into it. 
What I found really interesting was that the author focused on cultural and social forces at play.  I helped to understand the why, not just the what of the events of the times.   
Good Troy
AKA Dechali, and Has No Horses
SASS#98102
GAF#835
NCOWS#3791
SSS#638

Offline nagantino

• Top Active Citizen
  • Oh yeah.......
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Informative Book on the Comanche
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2015, 02:54:49 AM »
Empire of the Summer Moon is the best one I've read. Harrowing and exciting story of the land called Comancharia it was so large.

Offline Good Troy

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2015, 08:22:29 AM »
Thanks Nagantino!

The "empire" book caught my attention on my last trip to the book store.  I'll definitely add it to the "to read" list.

I've never been much of a book reader, as my attention span is about the size of a magazine page.  But, here recently, I've embarked on a journey to read up on history of the old west.  Since the 150th anniversary of the Battle of Little Big Horn is approaching, I've decided to read up on the Sioux, Cheyenee and the events surrounding the battle.  My last read was "Red Cloud's War".  It ties into my current read a bit, "The Killing of Crazy Horse".  I'm about half way through it. Next on my list is a book on Custer.  It's a toss up whether I'll get one on his civil war service, or one on the last stand.
Good Troy
SASS#98102
GAF#835
NCOWS#3791
SSS#638

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 01:07:27 PM »

Offline nagantino

• Top Active Citizen
  • Oh yeah.......
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2015, 05:14:01 PM »
The son of the morning star by Evan S Connell is the finest account of the life of Custer, The Little Bighorn, its aftermath and what happened to the survivors.  There are others but I found this one outstanding. And yes I loaned it and can't get it back.

Offline Good Troy

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2015, 10:17:14 PM »
Thanks...I'll get that next. 
I should finish up the Killing of Crazy Horse this week.
Good Troy
SASS#98102
GAF#835
NCOWS#3791
SSS#638

Offline Gun Creek Phil

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2015, 01:36:22 AM »
Hello,

This one is also very interesting
The Comanches: Lords of the South Plains (The Civilization of the American Indian Series) by Ernest Wallace and E. Adamson Hoebel

http://www.amazon.com/Comanches-Plains-Civilization-American-Indian/dp/0806120401/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1440829786&sr=1-2

I've been lucky to find it in a French edition in my country. ;D
Gun Creek Phil
Old West Historical Forum (FRANCE)
http://oldwestory.1fr1.net/forum

" Fast is fine but accuracy is everything " Wyatt Earp.
"Je voudrais ton 32 Bob" Little Bill Dagget in Unforgiven

Offline Good Troy

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2015, 01:05:33 PM »
The son of the morning star by Evan S Connell is the finest account of the life of Custer, The Little Bighorn, its aftermath and what happened to the survivors.  There are others but I found this one outstanding. And yes I loaned it and can't get it back.

I went on vacation last week and was unable to find a copy of this book locally in short order, so I purchased "A Terrible Glory".  It is an (brief) account of Custer's civil war military life, and a more detailed account about IW and LBH.  I'm about 3/4's through it.  I've found the book to be fairly easy to follow, and informative.  It is my first read on the Custer and LBH.  I'll put the Son of the Morning Star on my gift list for my b'day and the holidays. 
Good Troy
SASS#98102
GAF#835
NCOWS#3791
SSS#638

Offline rbertalotto

• Top Active Citizen
    • RVB Precision
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2015, 04:58:44 PM »
The son of the morning star is also a movie...On YouTube for free
Roy B
South of Boston
www.rvbprecision.com
SASS #93544

Offline Johnson Barr

• Berger Sharpshooters, KVC, Blue River Regulators #129, Johnson County Rangers, GAF
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NRA Life, TSRA Life, NCOWS Life, NCOWS Merchant
    • J Barr Texas
  • NCOWS #: L-173
  • GAF #: 830
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2015, 01:02:02 PM »
One of my favorite reads is 'Comanche Dawn' by Mike Blakely.
"Peace is that glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading"  -Thomas Jefferson

Offline Good Troy

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2015, 12:27:18 PM »

Nagantino....I got the Son of the Morning Star, and the Empire of the Summer Moon for Christmas...in fact I got two copies of the Son of the Morning Star!

I've started the Son of the Monrning Star.  I'm learning a few things from it, and I really like the conversational style of writing.

Thanks again for the tip(s).
Good Troy
SASS#98102
GAF#835
NCOWS#3791
SSS#638

Offline Cholla Hill Tirador

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 16
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2016, 06:27:20 PM »
 I finished "Nine Years Among the Indians" a few weeks ago. One of those never-a-dull-moment books. Fascinating read and look ino the Apache world. Last night I finished "Empire of the Summer Moon" which is equally riveting and very historically detailed. It made me realize that the Comanches roa.ed and traveled across the prkprty on which I live.
  Am now a few pages into    "The Captured: A True Story of Abduction by Indians on the Texas Frontier". Really good so far.

These books all give a real look into the life of Texas indians which as an enormous contrast to what we see in the movies.

Offline 1961MJS

• Top Active Citizen
  • GAF #: 797
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 32
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2019, 08:32:29 AM »

The book pretty much does what the title says.  It gives a history of the Comanches. 
I'm not typically interested in "history" books.  My wife mistakenly bought this for me years ago instead of another book I'd requested.  However, I was quite surprised at how interested I was in the subject once I got off into it. 
What I found really interesting was that the author focused on cultural and social forces at play.  I helped to understand the why, not just the what of the events of the times.

Hi Troy

I've got this one started, its very interesting and we both live close to their old digs.

Later
Mike
BOSS #230

Brevet Lieutenant Colonel
Division of Oklahoma

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Grass Valley, CA in the Sierra Nevada Mountains
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 46
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2019, 10:50:15 AM »
There was a book called "The Sioux Indian Wars" written by Cyrus something or other in 1901.   He interviews combatants from both sides.  Long before revisionist history, it paints a grim picture of the brutality on both sides.  Fascinating book.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 634
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2019, 11:51:10 AM »
There was a book called "The Sioux Indian Wars" written by Cyrus something or other in 1901.   He interviews combatants from both sides.  Long before revisionist history, it paints a grim picture of the brutality on both sides.  Fascinating book.

https://www.amazon.com/Sioux-Indian-Cyrus-Townshend-Brady/dp/B000OC4S4I

CC Griff
Manager, WT Ranch--Coal Creek Division

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
1860 Henry Rifle Shooter #173
SSS #573

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Grass Valley, CA in the Sierra Nevada Mountains
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 46
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2019, 12:16:35 PM »
Yep, that's the one.  Great primary source material without any spin to it.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

Offline 1961MJS

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2020, 06:36:19 PM »
HI

I guess I should bring that one in from the Subaru.  it's been my car book (read at restaurants and waiting rooms) since September of last year.  Ain't going anywhere for a few months I bet.

DANG, just DANG.
Mike
BOSS #230

Division of Oklahoma

Offline Cholla Hill Tirador

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 16
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2020, 09:44:15 PM »

Finished this one a few weeks ago. A tedious read, lots of information and small print.

Also recently finished Apache Warshttps://www.amazon.com/Apache-Wars-History-Campaigns-against-ebook/dp/B00WLLHJYG/ref=sr_1_15?dchild=1&keywords=Apache+Wars&qid=1585190477&sr=8-15. It's the best and most detailed I've read so far because so much of this conflict was fought by the U.S. Army and the information in the book was taken from the diaries and journals of the soldiers and commanders.

CHT

Offline Yellowhouse Sam

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2020, 01:07:17 PM »
Anything by Fehrenbach is good....he was the historian of Texas.
SASS #25171
NRA
Retarred and Member of KMA
SBSS
"Sammy done his da**ndest, Angels could do no more" (From lyrics of Andy Wilkinson"

Offline 1961MJS

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2020, 09:23:12 PM »
Hi

I FINALLY finished reading the Comanches.  The last part was covered by a book Ranald S. Mackenzie on the Texas Frontier.  Both are great books.  Mackenzie was a great Indian fighter, but the whole thing got to him and he died insane.
Later
Mike
BOSS #230

Division of Oklahoma

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com