Author Topic: First duty pistol  (Read 89215 times)

Offline Bat 2919

• G Man / Bat Masterson
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Sand Creek Raiders
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: First duty pistol
« Reply #80 on: January 30, 2011, 10:09:38 PM »
My uncle Sam issued me my first duty gun a 1911A1 as an Army MP.

When I got my first civilian PD job I was informed that a 1911 wasn't an option.  I went out and bought a S & W model 19 but I had a series 70 Colt 45 in my holster before the end of the first year.

Carried that Colt until a department change necessitated the purchase of a S & W 686.  Series 70 was again quickly back in my holster until I upgraded it to a Delta Elite.

One last department change caused the purchase of a SIG 220.  This time it took almost 7 years before I got my way and had a 45 Combat Commander in my holster.   My day to day carry gun is currently a 45 Kimber Ultra CDP.  I fully expect to continue to carry the 1911s until I retire, although I'm eligible, I'm in no hurry to do that any time soon.

Happy Trails
Bat
Happy Trails

G Man / Bat Masterson
NRA Endowment
SASS #2919L
AZSA #11L
NCOWS #530
BOLD# 276
GAF #750

Offline USBP1969

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #81 on: March 23, 2011, 06:04:57 PM »
S&W 38/44 Heavy Duty.  It was an "N" frame fixed sighted .38 Special with a 4" barrel.  The prior Inspector (Border Patrol Agents were called "Patrol Inspectors" or "PI's" back in 1969) had been left handed and had the front sight shaved to have his point of aim match his point of impact.  It shot 18" to the left for me at 50 yards!  To make matters worse, the rifling was almost gone and our duty load, the 38/44 (158 grain RNL @ ~ 915 f/s), key holed shortly after leaving the barrel.  I couldn't keep wadcutters in the ten ring of a B-8 bullseye at 25 yards no matter how hard I tried. 

I thought it was me until the old gun quit on me and I was issued a M&P 4" heavy barrel that was dead on at 25 and stayed in the "X" ring if I did my part.  It had the old "Mule Ear" hammer though and I had to sneak over to a pistol smith to have a modern hammer installed.  That was a great gun.  It had a Patridge front sight that was a special order for the Border Patrol.  (Please see attached photo.)

We loaded two at a time from loops and if one was quick it could be done in about 6 seconds.

KW
Lose Sight = Lose Fight

Offline USBP1969

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #82 on: March 25, 2011, 06:02:31 PM »
I noticed some posts that said that they started with a revolver of one kind or another and were glad when they switched to semi-automatics.

Of my 33 years in the USBP 15 were spent as an Academy Firearms Instructor.  The first nine were at FLETC in Glynco, GA where the students from 78 different agencies trained with revolvers.  There was nary a malfunction except for some bad ammo we had for a while.

I then transferred back to the field and served as a sector range officer whenever we had our quarterly qualification.  During that period the Agents were permitted to purchase and carry semi-automatics after receiving transition training. It was then that I began to experience what are called "alibi" shots during qualification due to malfunctioning semi-automatics.  I kept remembering Bill Jordan's statement that "There are no alibis in a gun fight."  There were so many in fact, that the time required to run our 72 round qualification course almost doubled!

My second Academy tour lasted six years and by that time all new Agents were training with semi-automatics.  Malfunction and IA drills were just accepted by the Instructors and trainees as "Business as Usual."  I was, and am still amazed at the difference I experienced between the malfunction rate of semi-automatics Vs revolvers in a law enforcement environment.  For that reason I carry a wheelgun as a retired LEO and if I were back in the field (and had a choice) I would again carry the sixgun.

Respectfully,
KW
Lose Sight = Lose Fight

Advertising

« Reply #83 on: Today at 05:39:21 AM »

Offline BiGStick

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #83 on: April 14, 2011, 08:21:12 PM »
I'm kinda new to the LEO game, having only been with the CHP for 6 years. First issue was the S&W 4006 in .40 S&W- Stainless. Was/ is a BRICK. Current issue is the S&W 4006 TSW...

Is still a Brick.

Offline USBP1969

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #84 on: April 15, 2011, 08:22:05 AM »
Here's a fellow you might enjoy communicating with.

Former USMC and retired CHP who teaches gun fighting skills.  http://www.gunfightersltd.com/

Great guy.

KW
Lose Sight = Lose Fight

Offline BiGStick

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #85 on: April 15, 2011, 01:02:16 PM »
Why thankyou, I will check him out :)

Offline sheltonj

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #86 on: September 24, 2011, 07:16:39 PM »
S&W model K 38 revolver, 4"
S&W Chief special 2"

Offline Pay Dirt Norvelle

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #87 on: September 24, 2011, 10:58:44 PM »
My first was a Colt Trooper .357.  Speed loaders came out a little later and I bought some.  I wish I never sold that gun.
PAY DIRT NORVELLE
SASS #90056
NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER
COYOTE VALLEY COWBOYS #37
RATS #650

Offline Lumpy Grits

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #88 on: October 18, 2011, 06:06:58 PM »
Mine was a Colt 1911 and 4 spare mags.
I'm still here because of that pistol ;)
Cheers,
LG
'Hav'n you along-Is like loose'n 2 good men'

Offline Cheyenne Logan

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 5269
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 69
« Reply #89 on: July 07, 2023, 07:20:28 AM »
Mine was a Model 65 Smith & Wesson, still have it.

Offline DeaconKC

• Retired Predator Hunter
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 110215
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4643
« Reply #90 on: July 09, 2023, 04:02:39 PM »
Working for Illinois Department of Corrections from 1991-2017 while working the Institutions we would be issued a S&W 64 4" revolver. When I went to Field Parole we had a choice between either the S&W revolver or a 3rd Gen Glock 23 in .40S&W. I carried that 23 for 17 years, when I retired I stuck a note in the box with my phone number. Hopefully someday when that beat up old beast gets traded in I will get a call about it.
SASS DeaconKC
The Deacon AZSA
BOLD 1088
RATS 739
STORM 448
Driver for Howard, Fine & Howard
Veterinary & Taxidermy Clinic
"Either way, you get your dog back"

Offline Trooper Hook

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #91 on: September 06, 2023, 08:22:00 PM »
My first duty gun was a S&W model 66-1 4 inch .357 Magnum. Our duty ammo however was 38 spl +P+. City fathers were scared of the word Magnum. We went to 9mm,s  in the late 90,s. I carried a Sig P229 till I retired in 2011.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com