Author Topic: First duty pistol  (Read 89211 times)

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Grass Valley, CA in the Sierra Nevada Mountains
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 45
Re: First duty pistol
« Reply #60 on: November 17, 2006, 09:52:03 AM »
My first was a 1911A1 Remington Rand.  I was an MP in 1974.  Went into MPI and trded it for a model 10 2" 38 Spcl (though on every 4th day when I was duty investigator, I still checked out my 45!)  My first civilian Duty gun in 1977 was a Model 66 4 inch.  The sgt. gave me the gun and a box of 50 Remington 125 grn JHP 357s.  I asked when I got more ammo, and he said "When you bring me 50 dead bodies and 50 empty cases, son, I'll give you another box!"
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

Offline Marshal Trace McCloud

• Citizen
  • "String 'em up, it'll teach 'em a lesson."
    • Jim Fitch Home Page
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #61 on: January 14, 2007, 03:45:13 AM »
Howdy,

Back to my beginning in civilian LE, 1971, the department I started with didn't buy your handgun, you did and you could chose between a Smith or a Colt .38 or .357.  I found a new 4" blued Colt Python .357 at a fair price and carried it for many years.  After we switched to auto loaders, I later sold it when I was hard up for money.  Now I wish I had kept it. 

I'm with a different department now and we still have to buy our own handguns.  We have the choice of about any quality brand and caliber.  They decided a long time ago that sharing ammo wasn't a big concern.  In fact, if you done used up all your ammo and didn't stop the threat, do ya really think I'm going to give you mine?!!!  ;D

Well, like others have said, it was fun reminiscing.  Have a good day ya all.
SASS #70954 Life
BOLD #748
RATS #304
River Junction Shootist Society

Offline Rosco MacGRUFF

• There is no try, there is only do or do not
  • Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #62 on: January 14, 2007, 03:25:30 PM »
After reading the posts,,,,,,,,, Im feelin like a pup (only in the game now for 9 years).  My first gun and still is a Glock 22.  The only change is that I went fron a 2nd Generation to a 3rd Gen. (one with the rails).  God bless ya'll who made till retirement!  I've got some time to go and some more roads to travel
SASS 62755
BOLD 635
RATS 318
Business Days ; Badge #39

Advertising

« Reply #63 on: Today at 09:24:17 PM »

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #63 on: January 15, 2007, 08:49:33 AM »
Rosco, I’ll be easy ta catch up with.  All ya got left is twenty three years.  I’d swap with ya if I could.

Maybe a l’il off topic, boys.  I’m an ole time, die hard S&W double action revolver fan.  I’ve had and still have a pile of ‘em.  Still have the last one I was issued ‘n carried on duty, a 64.  No one, ‘n I mean no one, kicked ‘n screamed any worse than I did when the department decided to go to self shuckers ‘n took my revolver away.

But, I gottah tell ya.  Went to the police range to qualify to keep my HR 218 certification last week.  There I sat in the classroom with my carry Glock, mag out slide back ‘n locked for inspection, in front of me.  Off to the right was someone with an old S&W 36.  Cylinder all hangin’ out.  Gottah tell y’all, it looked like such an antique to me.  Five cartridges ‘n I had eleven, after market floor plate for the 26’s mag.  Eleven in a pistol I can shoot a group with at seven yards ya can cover with a Zippo lighter.

I’d have never, ever thought I’d be converted.  But these days I’m collectin’ Glocks like I did Smiths years ago.  Just stuck a 34 on lay away.  Can’t hardly wait ‘til the taxes are done and I get my grubby l’il hands on it.
Honorary Life Member of the Pungo Posse. Badge #1. An honor bestowed by the posse. Couldn’t be more proud or humbled.

All I did was name it ‘n get it started. The posse made it great. A debt I can never repay. Thank you, mi amigos.

Offline Bad Blueridge Bob

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #64 on: January 25, 2007, 10:05:53 AM »
My first duty pistol was a Smith & Wesson Model 10 .38 Spl. with a 4" bull barrel fine shooting peice. The next issued peice was a Smith & Wesson Model 66 .357 Mag. 4" barrel with stainless rear sights (1st Model). When I made Detective I changed from a Model 66 to a Model 60 .38Spl. 2" barrel. I felt a little light carring only the model 60 so with permission of the Chief I was allowed to carry a model 66 .357 Mag. 2 1/2" barrel. I carried that until we went to Sig Sauer P220's .45ACP and I carried that until shortly before I retired when we switched over to Glock's and I was issued a Glock 30 .45ACP (uniformed folks got the Glock 21). After I retired in North Carolina (1974 until 2000) , I went to work for the Federal Government my first issue with them was a Beretta model 92D slick slide 9mm and for the past 4 years I have had the Glock 23 .40, I guess that will be my last issue.
BOLD #7
BOSS #158
RATS #340
FBI/NA 179th
Saint John's #3 AF&AM
USMC
USCGR

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 396
« Reply #65 on: January 25, 2007, 08:08:50 PM »
My only "duty pistol" as a Canadian Army officer was the INGLIS made version of the Browning Hi-Power.  A generation before its time, and still a pistol one can carry with confidence.  I have a 1911 (NOT A1!) a Webley Mk VI and other ex-military pieces but my prize is a MINT Inglis Hi-Power.  Remember that these pistols were made during WWII for China, Canada and the UK.

I'm not an LEO, but I have been a prosecutor for over 15 years.  Hope you don't think me an interloper.
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Offline Marshal Tac

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #66 on: February 03, 2007, 11:19:37 AM »
Sir Charles... Prosecutors are still on the right side of the "Good vs. Evil" debate, so you can ride with my posse anytime... and I even promise to keep the "Lawyer" jokes to a minimum.... and occasionally use the term without sounding like I just currsed!  ;) ;D
-Marshal Tac
"Well Mayor, I think we did our good deed for the day."
BOLD #763
SBSS #1909

Offline Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Speed Junky
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #67 on: February 19, 2007, 12:49:19 PM »
... and I even promise to keep the "Lawyer" jokes to a minimum...
THEM ARE JOKES?! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Griff
SASS/CMSA #93 Endowment
LSFSC Life
NRA Life

Offline Tim Burrattler

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #68 on: March 12, 2007, 10:46:16 AM »
S&W Mod 681, bought myself. Now issued a Glock 22 & 23. I've also got my dad's last carry gun, a nickle Python
SASS 16351L *  BOLD 710 *  RATS 336 * SBSS 1961

Offline Elmer Watson

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #69 on: July 14, 2007, 07:45:24 PM »
My first duty revolver was a 6" Highway Patrolman(1973).  I carried that until the sheriff issued every body model 59's 9MM that were were recalled after two months (due to very poor quality control issues )and replaced with 4 " model 66's.  We carried 125 grain .357 mag rounds until there were problems with qualification and then ended up with 110 grain .357 mag rounds.  We also changed from 00 buckshot to #4 buckshot as well.
BOLD # 864
RATS # 373

Offline Eagle Eyes Jefferson

• Chaplain for Department of the Atlantic
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #70 on: December 14, 2007, 07:37:15 AM »
Might as well chime in here, too!! First duty weapon was a S & W model 10 with 4 inch pencil barrel nickel plated. We carried 6 extra rounds in a belt dump pouch and the holster was an old "suicide Strap" (border patrol)style. We transitioned to Beretta 9mm's and in March 2008 will go to the .40 cal.

EEJ
Eagle Eyes Jefferson
Chaplain for Department of the Atlantic
GAF #478
Department of the Atlantic
BOLD #893

Offline Captain Rob Page

• NCOWS Member
  • Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #71 on: December 30, 2007, 09:13:45 AM »
  S& W Model 19, then a S&W Model 686 and finally a Sig 220. They are all excellent duty weapons. The 220 will be my last.

Offline Charlie Bowdre

• PISTOLARO .
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Charlie Bowdre
  • SASS #: 87747
  • GAF #: 502
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #72 on: December 30, 2007, 09:23:38 AM »
S&w model 10  then to Ruger GP 100 , to Sig 9mm and last but not least S&W 9mm RCMP Model  Now retired and carry a pair of 51 Navy RM conversions ...the best of all :)

dutchie
"I'm too old to go soldiering any more , too stiff in the joints to ride point and too dam fat to wrestle drunks Any day they don't pat you on the face with a shovel is a good one"

BOLD 887 
Bvt.Major  Chaplain  GAF  502 
STORM 271 
SASS 87747
CHINOOK COUNTRY

Offline Knight77

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #73 on: January 20, 2008, 01:38:33 PM »
It was 1979 and I was proud to strap on a brand new Smith model 19 with a 4" bbl.  Loaded it with Remington 125 grainers. 

Offline Yul Catchum

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #74 on: March 27, 2008, 11:25:30 AM »
Model 10 with a heavy barrel.
Member oif the Quick draw team had it before me. The trigger was so light that I had an AD with it less than an hour after they handed it to me. I returned it to the Armory and it scared the Amorer so much he issued me a NIB stainless Model 64 that was only going to Desk Jockeys who wouldn't wear the new guns out with a lot of needless shooting. Just like the new Units would be assgined to people who never FRIGGING went anywhere while the Patrolmen drove death traps and rolling wrecks.

Ahh the Good Old days, when Chiefs were miserable SOB's that made our Lives something to really compl;ain about. not like these mamby-oambies who complain if they have to work 15 minutes over now days. No! We walked to work a mile in the snow, UP HILL both ways for the pleasure of getting chewed out by a sergeant who was proud he had an IQ lower than tire pressure.

Offline Handsome Dave

• Law Dawg #919
  • Active citizen
  • Maj. General Bryan Grimes, CSA
    • Posse profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #75 on: April 18, 2008, 10:32:43 PM »
S&W Mod. 10 with a 5" Heavy Barrel and a Winchester Mod. 1894.
Cpt. David A.(Handsome Dave) Grimes - BOLD #919
Warrenton, Missouri
Missouri Territorial Rangers
Great Great Nephew of Maj. Gen. Bryan Grimes, CSA

Offline aryfrosty

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #76 on: August 21, 2008, 04:06:31 PM »
In 1971 I picked up a Colt ".357 magnum"...forerunner of the marks and nothing less than a Python with a plain barrel...and I loved it. Until I saw something else really nice. Over the next 25 years I carried many different weapons in both wheelgun and bottom feeder configurations. Colt Combat Commanders were my schtick for about 5 years and then I went through the "only a Smith M-28, 6" will do" period of time. One year it was a customized M-1917 Smith with a 4" Douglas bull barrel and night sights by Julio Santiago. In 1993 the department issued duty weapons for the first time and they were Beretta 96D Centurions and then in 1994 they were traded for Sig P-229s. That was what they were issuing when I said adios. Sometimes I sit and dream of finding some of the guns I have gone through over the years and sometimes I actually find something similar. My good wife is pretty unflappable about my guns and I now have too many to take to the range at one time to fire. Ain't life sweet?    ;D
When you're wounded and left on Afghanistan's plains...and the women come out to cut up what remains; Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains. And go to your God like a Soldier.

Offline Top Kick Ken

• Top Active Citizen
  • Oscar S. Johnson, GAR, My Great Grandfather.
  • Liked:
« Reply #77 on: September 16, 2008, 11:36:14 PM »
S&W Model 15 and Model 10.  I am glad we left those behind!
Respectfully Submitted,

Top Kick Ken
Sergeant Major, Department of the Pacific
Grand Army of the Frontier

GAF #71
BOLD #943
SASS #47880L

Offline Crow Choker

• Top Active Citizen
  • River Banker Extraordinaire
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 36
« Reply #78 on: May 30, 2010, 09:33:45 PM »
I know this is a post almost two years old, but since I just got on the Cas City forum last Febuary and just joined the Bold Chambers recently, I'll tell ya all about my first duty weapon. I started out in law enforcement working as a reserve officer and later as a part-time officer in my home town which was only around 1000 population. The one and only patrol vehilce was a red and white Chevy pick-up with a big red bubble light on the top and a whailing siren that sounded just like Andy and Barneys (Andy Griffeth Show). The vehicle also double dutied as a street department vehicle during the day. The mayor in the town didn't think I needed a firearm, said if I ran into trouble, just call in a sheriffs deputy. Ya right-tell some dirt bag  with a gun to stand at ease till a deputy comes half way across the county. So, not wanting to make the morning news at the local TV station of "Local Part-time Police Officer Gunned Down In Alley", I carried one on the sly. Not having a 'big bore' centerfire handgun other than a 1851 Colt copy 44 caliber Cap an Ball, I resorted to, hang onto yer socks, a Ruger Super Single Six-put the magnum cylinder in her, and kept it on the seat. After dark, I'd strap her on in a low slung 'Hunter" holster. I'd put six beans in the wheel too, figured since I could hit rolling beer and pop cans with ease, I could hit center mass with no problem or one between the eyes. Never had to draw it, thankfully, but it was better than getting a sand shovel out of the box of the pick-up and having to toss it at some hombre. There's a post on 'Your favorite duty pistol' on which I'll tell of that one. Still have the three screw Super-single six, still can make believers out of cans with it!
Darksider-1911 Shooter-BOLD Chambers-RATS-SCORRS-STORM-1860 Henry(1866)-Colt Handgun Lover an' Fan-NRA-"RiverRat"-Conservative American Patriot and Former Keeper & Enforcer of the Law an' Proud of Being Both! >oo

Offline Yukon Charley

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #79 on: December 29, 2010, 10:48:05 AM »
Hate to admit it but my first duty weapon was a Llama .357.     :-[     I was new to the gun scene & let the gun store guy talk me into buying it because it was 50 bucks cheaper than a Smith or Colt.     :'(     I'm thinkin' now he was able to sell it to anyone smart about guns!!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com