Author Topic: First duty pistol  (Read 89214 times)

Offline Marshal Law

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: First duty pistol
« Reply #40 on: October 14, 2005, 03:15:46 PM »
Howdy folks,
My first Duty Weapon was an S&W Model 14- inch. I wanted a Model 15 but the supplier, F. Cake and Company, was out of Model 15 s and I needed a gun right away.

I was a reserve at the time and had to buy my own gun and leather. I paid $85.00 for that Mod. 14 back in 1971 and then traded it off for a mod. 19- 4 “ in .357 Mag. Boy was I stupid. I could hit the X ring all day long with that Mod 14 but had a hell of a time shooting that Mod. 19 anywhere near as well.

I got rid of the Mod 19 and went to a SIG P-220 in .45 and never looked back.

I still miss that Model 14. I would buy another one just to have it to shoot. It was a great gun.

Your pard,

Marshal Law
SASS# 854
BOLD# 74

Offline Maryland Marshal

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: October 31, 2005, 04:13:52 PM »
My first was a .45 auto when I was an MP.  I think it was one of the original .45's and it rattled a bit when ya shook it-but I sure did enjoy shooting it.
BOLD #686
SASS #67310
GOFWG #276
GAF
"That ain't shootin' - that's killin'."

Offline Sheriff A.E. Moses

• Very Active Citizen
    • Millbrook Wranglers
  • Liked:
« Reply #42 on: November 05, 2005, 10:14:26 AM »
Like so many others have said, I had to buy my own gun and it was a S&W model 10 and a buddy bought a Colt Trooper. I aquired several S&W pistols over the years, and likewise he acquired several Colts. Now my S&W's are valued at barely what I paid for them and his Colts are off the charts. But, that was the only mistake I ever made in 33 years of law enforcement!
Sheriff A.E. Moses
First Duly Elected Sheriff
Graham County Kansas
~:~1880 - 1881~:~
Cowboy Action Shooter
~:~1999 - 2011~:~
=-=B.O.L.D. - 14=-=
http://www.millbrook.ruraltel.net

Advertising

« Reply #43 on: Today at 04:46:17 AM »

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 633
« Reply #43 on: November 15, 2005, 10:54:51 PM »
I'll jump in here.  My first duty gun was a S&W Model 10, but I didn't have it for long, since we were transitioning away from them.  I quickly switched to a Glock 17.  After a few years, I switched again to a Sig P220, then policies changed and I had to go to a Beretta 96D >:(.  Now we've switched again and I carry a Kimber Pro Carry HD ;D.
Manager, WT Ranch--Coal Creek Division

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
1860 Henry Rifle Shooter #173
SSS #573

Offline Elm Creek Smith

• Citizen
  • Smokin'!
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: November 26, 2005, 11:15:10 AM »
Worked fer a security company long ago guardin' a glass plant where they was a strike in force an' non-union workers was comin' in to do the jobs. I carried a pre-Model 10, four-inch pencil-barrelled S&W M&P .38 Special with 158 grain SWCs. (The security company management was enlightened fer the day.) I also carried a three-inch barrelled Colt Detective Special in my back pocket.

Then,...I joined the Army an' my badge-wearin' (commissioned "Special Deputy") days was over.

ECS
"No, Smith ain't the name I was borned with."

"I'd lose my life for them, and they would for me." - Cal Brennan

"And before I go, I will kick your ass." - Cal Brennan

GOFWG
SCORRS
Warthog

Offline Free Bird

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #45 on: December 16, 2005, 09:31:40 AM »
Fall 1968 in rookie school.  Bought brand new S&W model 19 4" blued.  (Got it nickeled a few years later.  No stainless then).  Paid $85.00 Put on my charge card.  Course I was only making $650.00 a month.  (Pension checks are almost 5 times that now).

Offline Big John Denny

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #46 on: December 16, 2005, 03:36:30 PM »
My first civilian department duty gun was also a S&W Mdl 28 with the 4" barrel in 357 Mag. That was what the Georgia State Patrol was issued at the time. My department required officers to buy their own revolvers, so I went with what my brother, a Georgia State Trooper, carried. Bought it new in 1970 and still have it today.

We also bought our own ammo, and I carried Super Vel soft point hollow points. Anybody remember those?
Big John Denny, SASS 64775
US Army Retired
Los Vaqueros
BOLD #661
GOFWG #240
SBSS #1780 (Order of the Golden Bullet)
NMLRA
NRA
"Aim small....Miss small"

Offline O.T. Buchannan

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #47 on: January 27, 2006, 10:25:25 AM »
My first issue gun was a Smith & Wesson Military & Police Revolver in .38 Special, with the long, slender (pencil) 6 inch barrel.  Started with loops on the belt, and eventually graduated to speedloaders.  Next, we were issued the Smith & Wesson Model 15 Combat Masterpiece, with the 4 inch barrel.  I switched offices, and we were issued Taurus .357s...I forget the exact model, but from a standpoint of quality, it was a HORRIBLE gun.  When we switched to Semi-Automatics, we switched to the S&W Sigma in .40 cal., which was also of low quality.  Finally, we switched to Glock 22s, also in .40, which is what we currently carry.
"If the grass is greener on the other side, water your OWN lawn."

Offline HISEASCOWBOY

• Gunfighter Extraordinaire
  • Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #48 on: March 17, 2006, 07:20:05 AM »
My first duty pistol was/is my Glock 22 with a Glock 27 for a backup.
SASS #47661L SBSS #1092 BOLD #737
IC1(SW/AW) USN(Retired)
Shellback, Blue Nose, Order of the Ditch, Golden Dragon
RO2
Camp 44 Founding member

wspe61

« Reply #49 on: March 27, 2006, 06:13:08 PM »

My first was a Mod 10 M&P
   As soon as I  could afford it; I bought a Gold Cup.
   Never carried any thing else.....

Offline El Oso Plata

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #50 on: March 31, 2006, 10:40:55 PM »
Like Wiley I started out on the Highway Patrol in Texas with a model 28.  Heavy as lead but it shot good.  Issued us the "lubaloy" .357 mag. ammo in the academy.  Replaced them with JHP's in the field.  Bullet loops on the Sam Browne.  Wonder what happened to that old gun?  Had to turn it in when I left to work for a municipal police agency. 

When speed loaders came out I got them quick.  Carried a Model 29 in .44 mag for a while.  The 28 and 29 would fit my highway patrol holster and the speed loaders fit the same case.  CArried the .44 while I was working and the .357 when I went to the office.  Figured that if I had to kill somebody, I'd come closer to killing him with the .44.  Then I'd take the days off for using the wrong gun.

Since then I've carried .45s, 9's and now a Glock 22 in .40 cal.  Still carrying a pistol for a living.  32 years now.  Time flies, don't it.

Offline Capt. John Fitzgerald

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 34
« Reply #51 on: April 03, 2006, 12:56:33 AM »
Like so many others here, it was a department issue S&W Model 10.  As soon as I got out of the academy I got permission to carry my own Model 19.  Department issue ammo was .38 Super-Vel.
Throughout my 25 year carreer;
S&W Mod. 10, 4", .38
S&W Mod. 19, 4", .357
S&W Mod. 27, 6", .357
S&W Mod. 686, 6", .357
Sig Sauer Mod. 220, .45

Department went to semi-auto's in the late 80's and I carried the Sig .45 to retirement.  Still carry it today.
You can't change the wind, but you can always change your sails.

Offline Crooked Creek Kid

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #52 on: April 13, 2006, 10:22:05 AM »
My first duty pistol was a Colt 1911 Series 70 in 45 ACP that was tuned up for duty carry.  We were allowed to carry whatever we qualified with.  I used this pistol for IPSC (had a custom top end and extended barrel that I switched to for competition) and carried it until I left law enforcement.  There were three of us on the dept. that were certified with 1911's and Milt Sparks made our duty rigs for us.
I ain't often right but I've never been wrong.

Offline royal barnes

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #53 on: June 02, 2006, 09:48:35 PM »
Duty pistols as follows:

Colt Trooper 4" .357
Colt Trooper MKIII 4" .357
Smith and Wesson 66 4" .357
Smith and Wesson 66 2 1/2"(Issue plainclothes gun)
Smith and Wesson 1076 10mm semi auto

All but the original Colt Trooper now reside in my safe. We were allowed to purchase our old guns when a new one was issued. The 10mm was presented to me when I retired in '99. It's my least favorite gun. I loooove wheelguns.....or a 1911. :)
SASS #5792 Life Regulator
BOLD#326
LASSOOS #33s
Purveyor of the Dark Arts
Jedi Gunfighter
WARTHOG

Offline Marshal Tac

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #54 on: August 01, 2006, 11:33:40 AM »
Started out with a U.S. Army issued 1911 .45 as an MP, switched to the M9 Berretta when they finally got around to us. When I got out and became a civilian cop in my home town, I started out with a S&W model 10 .38 Spl., 4 inch heavy barrel that was nickled. As soon as I could I transitioned to the auto and carried a SIG P220 .45. Few years later I switched agencies and went to work for the state. They issued the Glock 22 in .40, and mandated it as the only gun to be carried on or off duty..  :( ??? :'(  After a couple of years I switched to my current department and they carried the Glock 22 also. When we had problems with them and a new Chief came on board, he switched us to the SIG P220's as our uniform duty gun, and the P245's as a plain clothes gun, and allowed us to carry what we wanted off duty, so long as it was 9mm/.38 spl. or larger and reliable. I have since rotated through 3 P220's as they keep upgrading them with light rails, stainless slides, etc.

I still carry the P220 and, over all, am pretty happy with it. I got about 5 more years before I pull the plug and find something else to do and I intend to keep carring the P220, unless they let me move to a Kimber or Sig GSR 1911....
-Marshal Tac
"Well Mayor, I think we did our good deed for the day."
BOLD #763
SBSS #1909

Offline fourfingersofdeath

• The Old Loquacious one's loquacious signature:
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dang! Caught shooting a 357!
    • Mick's photobucket!
  • Liked:
« Reply #55 on: October 21, 2006, 04:59:48 AM »
First duty pistol: S&W Model 10 3" bull Barrel.

last duty pistol: see above  ;D
Mick.
All my cowboy gun's calibres start with a 4! It's gotta be big bore and whomp some!

BOLD No: 782
RATS No: 307
STORM No:267

www.boldlawdawgs.com

Offline Buffalo Creek Law Dog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #56 on: October 21, 2006, 10:39:28 AM »
As an Air Force Policeman I carried a Browning 9mm with an extra mag attached to the holster. When I was commissioned I had to trade it in for a Colt Cobra .38 spl.
SASS 66621
BOLD 678
AFS 43
NFA
ABPA

Offline fourfingersofdeath

• The Old Loquacious one's loquacious signature:
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dang! Caught shooting a 357!
    • Mick's photobucket!
  • Liked:
« Reply #57 on: October 22, 2006, 11:44:33 PM »
As an Air Force Policeman I carried a Browning 9mm with an extra mag attached to the holster. When I was commissioned I had to trade it in for a Colt Cobra .38 spl.

Seems a sure way to get shot, wearing different gear from the rest. I was a tank leiutenant and carried a rifle (not that I ever got in a shooting war), probably a bit of a wank, you can soon tell who the boss is, if you can't, shoot em all and put the poor sods out of their misery ;D
All my cowboy gun's calibres start with a 4! It's gotta be big bore and whomp some!

BOLD No: 782
RATS No: 307
STORM No:267

www.boldlawdawgs.com

Offline John Barleycorn

• Top Active Citizen
    • Barleycorn Outfitters
  • Liked:
« Reply #58 on: November 15, 2006, 09:22:04 PM »
Mine was a S&W 6906 9mm 12 rnd mag. beautiful stainless. Never had a malfunction "nines" have seem to have dropped from favor but I still have mine, its cheap to reload and practice with. I use it for a concealed carry piece often.
Jedi Gunfighter #176
BOLD #787, NRA Life, RO I
N.E. Reg. FCGF Champ '12
PA  St. FCGF Champ '12 '13
MD St. FCGF 1st Pl '13
WV St. FCGF 1st Pl '12 '13
OH St. FCGF 1st Pl '14
NJ St. FCGF 1st Pl '15
PA St. GF Champ '15
SASS Regulator

Offline Matts BasterSon SASS 74843

• SASS 74843
  • Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #59 on: November 16, 2006, 09:41:05 AM »
My troops had to carry the obligatory M9 (Baretta 9mm). I got to carry a Sig 229. Carried that until I joined the shooting team, then got a Gold Cup. Loved that gun. Carried it all day every day, shot it several times a week. Never had a malfunction.
“No man in the wrong can stand up against a fellow that’s in the right and keeps on a-comin.” Ranger Creed

This republic was not established by cowards; and cowards will not preserve it.
- Elmer Davis

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com