Author Topic: First duty pistol  (Read 89213 times)

Offline Sagebrush Bill

• Citizen
    • Horse Ridge Pistoleros
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: First duty pistol
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2004, 10:36:48 AM »
My first duty pistol was a 4" S&W Model 19 which I had to "give" to my wife when I bought a nickel plated 4" S&W Model 27 to carry on duty. Someone gave me one of the infamous "clamshell" holsters, where you'd push a button inside the trigger guard to pop the holster open.  It could be deadly if it failed to open though. Someone else saw that, and gave me a drop holster with a swivel, so you could swivel it up in the seat in the cruiser. You couldn't draw your weapon while seated in the car very well though.

Then I moved up to a 4" S&W Model 29, which I carried loaded with .44 Specials while working in town for the PD, and loaded with .44 Magnums when working out in the county for the Sheriff's Dept. There were some long shifts where I thought about borrowing my wife's gun back because it was a lot lighter. I carried the Model 27 and Model 29 in a good A.E. Nelson front break holster for many years.

I finally succumbed to the Siren's call to switch to an autoloader and got a Glock Model 22C in 40 S&W, but I'm still a fan of big bore revolvers. :)
Sagebrush Bill
SASS Life Member #5269
Horse Ridge Pistoleros Life Member #61
BOLD #517

Offline Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Speed Junky
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2005, 12:04:19 AM »
S&W Mdl. 19, 4" nickel.  Switched to a Mdl. 65 4" after about a year.  Carried a Colt Commander .45ACP for plain clothes & undercover when working those type venues.  Carried the Colt for all off-duty time until moving to Texas, when I qualified with my Colt SAA .45.  Have 'em all except the Mdl. 19.  Finally resigned about 2 years ago, and still miss it (sometimes).
Griff
SASS/CMSA #93 Endowment
LSFSC Life
NRA Life

Offline Reb Tyree

• Bvt Lt. Col (SFC) Reb Tyree, CSA Chief of Staff Dept of the Pacific, GAF
  • Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2005, 04:47:57 PM »
My First duty weapon was a S &W Model 10, Blued 38 spl, fixed sights, 158 gr round nose lead bulltets, 12 extra rounds in a drop pouch, carried her in a border patrol one strap holster. Had her until we got the S & W  Model 66, sixgun.
I have the Honor to remain,

Your Obedient Servant,

(SFC) Bvt Lt. Col Reb Tyree, CSA
Chief of Staff, Dept of the Pacific,
Grand Army of the Frontier

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 03:57:01 AM »

Offline Oddman

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2005, 01:06:12 AM »
My first duty gun was a S&W mod 19  4",  it was purchased from a desk ofc. for $ 90.00,  in the early days  all equip. was private purchase.  Your badge was only item issued by Dept.  No vest, port.radio, computers, sure have come a long way.

Offline Ol 'Satch

• Citizen
  • Dutch Oven Cook
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2005, 11:11:30 AM »
Let's see. . .When I was a Reserve Officer it was a .357 Dan Wesson with a 4 inch bull barrel. I carried a S&W 459 9mm when I worked with the Contsable's office and the good ol .45 when I was with the MP's. Now I carry a S&W 910 at my current job.
Kindness is a language which the deaf can hear and the blind can see.  -- Mark Twain
BOLD #624
GOFWG
GAF

Offline Jon Spurlock

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2005, 05:47:45 AM »
Mine was a S&W Model 10.  Not a bad shooting little revolver.
"Here's to the sunny slopes of long ago."

SASS #57357           RATS #158           
BOLD #375                      
Prayer Posse
BAHA #4

Offline Sam Hane

• Very Active Citizen
    • White Tree Productions
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2005, 02:15:57 AM »
.45 Detonics in stainless. Love that little beast! I worked in a non-uniform job, and all equip other than the badge and ID were private purchase, and if you could qualify with it, you could carry it .... made for some entertaining times at the range watching folks qualify with outrageous stuff.
Sam Hane
SASS 28778 Bold 118
Senior Chaplain: 9th Memorial Cavalry

Offline Dusty Wheeler

• Citizen
    • Tim Carson Gunsmithing
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2005, 10:08:37 AM »
S&W M-19, 4" in a swivel holster, Sam Browne with double dump boxes...  I retired so long ago I never had to wear a vest...
Dusty Wheeler
Arizona Territory
www.carsongunsmithing.com

It ain't over 'til you're dead, take it like a man and give some back!

Offline Col. Riddles

• Top Active Citizen
  • Whar's thet dadblasted Yankee?
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2005, 12:06:06 AM »
My first one was a S&W Mod. 28  6". But I switched to a 4" Colt Tooper Mark III after about a year. I think it cost me about $115. I put Pachmeyer rubber grips on it cause I was banging up the wood ones on the cruiser steering wheel. I carried it in a Bill Jordan holster. In 76 we switched to the S&W Mod. 59 9mm. I didn't trust it & felt the 9mm just didn't have the stopping power. So I asked the chief if I could carry a 1911. he gave me the go ahead & I carried one for many years. 
God answers knee mail † ><>
BOLD
SCORRS
SASS 7462 Life

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2005, 08:56:29 AM »
A well worn, but decent shooting pencil barreled Model 10 Smith.  That was replaced by a new Model 10, bull barrel.  Both were blue.

I was in K-9 at the time and between the dog slobberin' on it and the windex over-spray (constantly washin' nose prints off the windows) it turned orange in a hurry.  They issued us bull barrel 64s.

My first 64 didn't feel right.  The trigger felt like it was tryin' to bind on return.  The RO got tired of me whinin' about it and pulled it apart.  The trigger fell out when the side plate was removed.  I was issued another.

Somewhere around '90 or '91, I was in IA at the time, they phased out the revolvers for 6906 Smiths.  The vendor we dealt with allowed us to buy our revolvers if we wanted and I wanted.  It's in the safe.  The trigger has been polished smooth and it sports a set of Hogues these days.  I'm rather fond of that revolver.

The 6906 wasn't half bad for plain clothes work.  We shot them twice a year.  She hung once and that was well into a re-qualification session.  The RO gave me a new slide spring.  Not sure it was necessary, just think the thing was filthy.

Uniform guys started getting 5946 DAOs.  They decided it would be good for everyone to carry that.  I was close to retiring at the time and I tried to keep a low profile because I wanted to keep my 6906.  But they caught up with me, took my 6906 and gave me this monster.

It's nice.  Shoots like a .22 it's so damned big and heavy.  It was brand new in the box when it was issued to me in '97 or '98.  When I retired, I bought it from the City.  Still carry it occasionally.  Depends on how I'm dressed..... 
Honorary Life Member of the Pungo Posse. Badge #1. An honor bestowed by the posse. Couldn’t be more proud or humbled.

All I did was name it ‘n get it started. The posse made it great. A debt I can never repay. Thank you, mi amigos.

Offline Jubel

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #30 on: June 29, 2005, 08:32:29 PM »
My first was a S&W model 19. Speed loaders in 1967?? Mercy we had one choice 158 grn 38 spl rounds, 357 was forbidden, thats what started me hand loading. Got me a S&W model 29 later 44 mag and shot 44 spls out of it till the Glock 40 came along. Now me I'm out to pasture, and I sits in the sun and shoots my Remmies for fun. ;D
Cousin we been ashooten at each other all day! How about we stop for a beer then we kin go home and get our axes. Or just as good, lets forget this whole dang feud, I'm agetten too old for this anyhow!

Offline Doolin

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: July 01, 2005, 10:30:59 AM »
My first was a S&W 66 4" dump pouches but we could use "speed strips" so the ammo wasn't completely loose.  Bought the gun from my brother-in-law who was in Highway patrol in Mo. Great gun, but full-house .357 loads made it talk.

Doolin Riggs
SASS #32020
BOLD  #240

US Army 71-76

Offline Capt. Jubal Thralkill

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: July 01, 2005, 05:33:05 PM »
My first duty pistol was a 6" Colt Python. Shot DX with it in the academy. That big hawg leg sure helped build up my shoulder and arm muscles on felony stops! Carried it on a small local PD and the L.A. Sheriff's. I transferred to a larger city PD and carried a 1911 for over a decade, then switched to a Glock 21 while I was a SWAT cop. I still carry the G-21. The Colt Python is in my safe with my greatgrandfather's pistol from the Chicago PD both to be passed down to my son one of these days.
Capt. Jubal Thralkill, SASS 62577
late of the Missouri Partisan Rangers
The Cowboys
BOLD 667
The Irish Brigade

Offline SFT

• Top Active Citizen
  • You can't kill a man born to hang!
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: July 08, 2005, 12:49:23 PM »
S&W model 586 4 inch, which was at the time all I could carry as the department didn't provide autos to it's reserves and I couldn't afford to buy one and go through transition class.  Two years later I went full time with another department and carried a Glock 40 cal., but bought a 586 anyway because it was just one of those well balanced, accurate guns you fall in love with!
Of all the things I've lost over the years, it's my mind that I miss the most!
SASS# 35973, BOLD #557, Tejas Caballeros, Texican Rangers and TSRA

Slim Silver

« Reply #34 on: August 07, 2005, 09:39:15 PM »
Started wit a S&W Model 66 with dump pouches, next was S&W 686 with speed loaders, next S&W 5906 with dual mags/pouch, currently Sig Sauer P229 .40.  I was/am fond of my 686.  No offense to autoloaders, I'm just an old wheelgunner.

Offline Buffalo Creek Law Dog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #35 on: September 04, 2005, 09:45:37 PM »
My first duty gun was a Browning 9mm, we only carried 10 rounds so as to save the mag spring, plus we carried an extra mag.
SASS 66621
BOLD 678
AFS 43
NFA
ABPA

Offline Baron von Haltomstadt

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: September 20, 2005, 02:51:46 PM »
29 years at a glance: My first duty pistol(s) was/were a 4", nickel plated, rubber Pachmyr gripped, S&W Model 28 Highway Patrolman, in .357 mag on the strong side backed up by a blue S&W Model 39 (9mm), carried crossdraw on the weak side, backed up by a High Standard derringer (.22 mag). Next were a brace of nickeled, consecutive serial numbered, Model 59s (9mm), followed by a brace of Glock 17s (9mm), followed by a Glock 22 & 27 (.40 S&W). As I now have pretty much gone away from carrying two primary pistols, the Glock 27 has been sold and my 4" stainless, S&W "N' frame, in .45c, performs 2nd primary gun duty when I feel the need (the Glock 22 remains my primary duty pistol). While not as modern as my Glock, but for sheer intimidation value, the S&W is almost as effective as a nickel plated, double barrel, SxS, 12 gauge  (which is what I carried with me in suburban Chicago, in the late 1970s).  I also note, that after selling the High Standard derringer about 1980 something, the back up to my back up gun has been a Beretta M21 (.22). Earlier this year, I tried a new Kel-Tec 3AT (.380) to replace the Beretta, but it kept ejecting magazines in my pocket. I sold it after 3 months and my 20 yr old Beretta is back in the pocket. (Note #1: I have owned many guns over the years, but the aforementioned guns were/are the actual duty guns I used/use daily. Note: #2: Not an on-duty gun, but close, was my long time off-duty gun which was a Colt New Service (large frame), in .45 Colt, with barrel cut to about 3" and finished in custom nickel with very attractive wood grips.)

Note: On 11/16/06 I removed my original (and inaccurate) comments regarding my Ruger Blackhawk. I somehow got on a tangent and confused the gun with my S&W "N" frame. Don't have a clue how I did this, but it's fixed now. Also, since my original post, I have sold my Beretta M-21 and am now using my AMT .380 back up as a back up to my back up.
Terry  
AKA: Baron von Haltomstadt
(Formerly: Marshal Dusty Drywash)
North Central Texas Territories
BOLD RATS SASS NRA-Life USFA-CSS STORM SCORRS BOSS

Offline Ozarks Ranger

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: September 23, 2005, 06:05:08 AM »
Started with 6" colt Trooper , went to 4" 66, then  Nickel  4" 29. went to Beretta 92 9mm then to Beretta .40. traded the .40 in on my CAS rifle
still have my father in laws model 10. He was the Chief when I started in 78,  I took over in 89 forced retirement 99 (small town politics)
Stand up for whats right , even if your standing alone
Intro To CAS instructor
RO11,
WARTHOG
BOLD 291
SBSS,   RATS #250

Offline Oklahombre

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: September 25, 2005, 04:43:30 PM »
My first duty weapon was a S&W model 15 in 4" bbl.  Two dump pouches as speed loaders weren't invented yet (1969).  The department issued model 39's in the early 70's.
Charter member "Shortgrass Rangers", Big Pasture, I.T.
BOLD # 90
PWDFR #69

Offline BlackHawkPaul

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: October 08, 2005, 09:48:46 PM »
S&W Chief Special 38 Special with choice of 158 grain lead or Super Vels. We wrecked a lot of pieces at the Treasury Department. That was in the mid-70's. I am about to retire and we carry 357 SIG in Sig 229's. Several guns in between.

Blackhawk Paul
SASS Life
BOLD 213

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com