Author Topic: Public Right to Carry?  (Read 31163 times)

Offline J.R. Logan

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Public Right to Carry?
« on: November 06, 2008, 07:37:54 PM »
Public Right to Carry?

What are your feelings as Police/Ex-Police on the public right to carry?

Good

Bad

Only Police/Military should be allowed

Other

Just looking for info from the people in the know.

J. R. Logan

Offline Buffalow Red

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Public Right to Carry?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2008, 09:19:08 PM »
the founding fathers thougt they had that covered till obama came along
No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
Thomas Jefferson
  SHOOT STRAIGHT & LETS BURN SOME POWDER
Warthogs rule
Life NRA
SCORRS/ rugers/ 66 in 44-40  , trap door shooter
Southern Mo. Ranger
SASS
BSA SM RETIRED

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2008, 01:16:22 AM »
Folks have been tryin' ta chisel away at the 2nd fer years.  Some think you should be able ta protect the homestead but not yerself out in public.  Some folks think certain guns are OK an others aren't as technology in fire arms moves forward.  Some think we shouldn't have any guns.
     I'm not in Law Enforcement but what it all comes down to is responsability.  Plain and simple.  If you can't protect yerself against a criminal who doesn't give a damn about the law in the first place, what good are all the gun laws to begin with.  The slime will get there hands on them one way or another.  I believe we should be able ta at least keep it even between us and them.  Just so long as we are responsable.

Leo (average citizen)
"When you have to shoot, shoot.  Don't talk."
     Tuco--The Good the Bad and the Ugly

"First comes smiles, then lies.  Last is gunfire."
     Roland Deschain

"Every man steps in the manure now an again, trick is not ta stick yer foot in yer mouth afterward"

religio SENIOR est exordium of scientia : tamen fossor contemno sapientia quod instruction.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 09:51:56 PM »

Offline panhead pete

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2008, 05:04:48 AM »
Howdy All,

I am retiring from the Air National Guard 28 November.  We used to carry a Beretta 92 G mostly for anti Hijacking when I was flying C-130's as an Engineer.  The two words people have really NOT spoken about are "FREE STATE".  Written only 10-11 years after the revolution, the Forefathers knew an armed society was needed for
A. the Militia, we had no standing army.
B. So the government would be held in check by armed citizens.  They knew power was all corrupting and provided this right for that reason.

Regards,

Panhead

Offline Black Powder

• Top Active Citizen
  • Not messed with since 1956
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2008, 12:39:48 PM »
Problem is that what the founding fathers thought was adaquate to keep the government in check will no longer work.  In the worst case senario, no legal firearm is going to be much use against tanks and full auto comin' your way.

Hopefully the new regime will be too busy breaking their campaign promises to mess with our 2nd amendment rights.  Plus, they don't have a fillibuster-proof majority to do anything at the national level.

Hope springs eternal.

BP
I've got my excuses and I'm stickin' to 'em.

Offline Will Blastem

• Top Active Citizen
  • You stage 'em...Will Blastem
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2008, 07:18:16 PM »
Howdy All,

I am retiring from the Air National Guard 28 November.  We used to carry a Beretta 92 G mostly for anti Hijacking when I was flying C-130's as an Engineer.  The two words people have really NOT spoken about are "FREE STATE".  Written only 10-11 years after the revolution, the Forefathers knew an armed society was needed for
A. the Militia, we had no standing army.
B. So the government would be held in check by armed citizens.  They knew power was all corrupting and provided this right for that reason.

Regards,

Panhead

That says it all...Well said, Panhead...Goodbye ;)
You Stage 'em, Will Blastem
KC's Corral at Black Creek
Masonic Cowboy Shootist
Hiram's Rangers #25
RATS #314
Vietnam  Ist Air Cav 67-68

Offline Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Live To Fight Another Day
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2008, 07:21:11 PM »

;) :D   Well spoken Black Powder  :D

tEN wOLVES  ;) :D ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Offline panhead pete

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2008, 07:03:41 AM »
Howdy Again Folks,

I guess seeing how hard it is to get our planes mobilized and off the ground, I think the army would have a tough time reacting quickly.  Getting tanks in position would be a lot tougher than you think.  Automatic weapons are tough but when people are fighting for their own turf, accuracy counts more than spraying power.   And I suppose lastly, very few military members would keep at the fight seeing their brethren fall.  Military folks have as much IF NOT MORE contempt for politicians as everyone else.  Did the soldiers & guards not turn their weapons during the Russian revolution?  I AM NOT preaching Revolution, but I HAVE heard a lot of other folks speaking aloud about it.  I am simply looking at it from a tactical perspective.

Happy Trails,

Panhead 

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2008, 12:45:23 PM »
Howdy Again Folks,

I guess seeing how hard it is to get our planes mobilized and off the ground, I think the army would have a tough time reacting quickly.  Getting tanks in position would be a lot tougher than you think.  Automatic weapons are tough but when people are fighting for their own turf, accuracy counts more than spraying power.    

That's the only reason we were able to take Normandy.  It should have been impossible.
     Just a thought.

Leo

Roland Deschain

"Every man steps in the manure now an again, trick is not ta stick yer foot in yer mouth afterward"

religio SENIOR est exordium of scientia : tamen fossor contemno sapientia quod instruction.

Offline Black Powder

• Top Active Citizen
  • Not messed with since 1956
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2008, 01:42:57 PM »
And I suppose lastly, very few military members would keep at the fight seeing their brethren fall. 

I'm not so sure, Panhead.  We managed to kill off 600,000+ of each other between 1861 & 1865.

I've got no problem fighting to defend my rights, to protect my family and property.  But my house would be the Alamo in no time, that's all I'm sayin'.

BP
I've got my excuses and I'm stickin' to 'em.

Offline panhead pete

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2008, 02:34:48 PM »
Indeed Sir, Indeed!

Offline aryfrosty

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2008, 11:18:33 PM »
One reason I enjoyed serving 25 years as a sworn Officer was that I cannot abide tyranny and bullying. My job, as I saw it, included standing up for the rights of all citizens as delineated in the Constitution. I believe in the right of citizens to carry firearms and go armed whenever and wherever they will. Perhaps, as one respondent spoke of, my handguns might not help against tanks and fully automatic firearms...but who's to say that they wouldn't. If I have a gun I'll fight with a gun against tyrants. If I only have a knife or spear then those are what I would use. If I don't have those articles then I will fight with a rock. No rocks? Then I'll gnaw 'em into submission. In New Jersey recently "laws" have been proposed to regulate martial arts practitioners. And in England common people can't even own a knife or sword.
But, one damn thing they'll never be able to regulate out of existence is the will to live free and the determination to stand up to bullies. I'll carry that to my grave and I'll leave a legacy of determination when I pass on.
Regulate that, Obama. I dare you.    ;D
When you're wounded and left on Afghanistan's plains...and the women come out to cut up what remains; Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains. And go to your God like a Soldier.

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2008, 11:37:30 PM »
Tenacity is the corner stone of free society.  It's one of the most admirable traits one can hold dear.

Roland Deschain

Offline Sam Hane

• Very Active Citizen
    • White Tree Productions
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2009, 01:01:08 AM »
Public Right to Carry?

* Good

Armed citizens have, more than once, saved the bacon of LEOs in this neck of the woods.
Sam Hane
SASS 28778 Bold 118
Senior Chaplain: 9th Memorial Cavalry

Offline Utah Bob

• Top Active Citizen
    • Lazy Bob Ranch
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2009, 08:35:20 AM »
I have always supported the right of citizens to carry firearms. 4 years in the Army and 30 years behind the badge.
Rocky Mountain Warthog
BOLD #1
GAF #6
Proprietor - Lazy Bob Ranch
No cattle, No crops, No problem

Offline panhead pete

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2009, 01:21:07 PM »
Afternoon Folks,

This is more on the lines of 2nd amendment, but.....
I had the great pleasure of seeing Lou Dobbs defend the second amendment on of all places CNN!!  He stated flatly that he supports our right to keep and bear arms!!  I rarely watch CNN, but the promo for the upcoming show was on a TV at the gym.  We got home in time to see the show.  I suppose he will end up on Fox like Glenn Beck did??!!

Happy trails,

Panhead Pete

PS, Monday I am going to try to get to the county Sheriff's to apply for my CPL. 

Offline Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Speed Junky
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2009, 02:16:49 PM »
Public Right to Carry?
Good
Any other viewpoint is elitist and should be cause to have the office/badge taken.  If I have cause to fear the public I was sworn (retired in 2004) to protect and serve, I've probably been a little too heavy handed in my dealings with J.Q. Public.  I carry, sometimes... and not because of fear, but, rather I still feel the responsibility when I go into town... I live in the same area I patrolled.  All my neighbors know me as the "ex-Deputy", but if there's any animosity... I don't feel it.  And, while I busted a few heads in my day... I came VERY close to my training officer's admonishment... "ALWAYS have your contact end with the subject thanking you."  It works, and ain't near as hard as you might think.

My take on an old saw:
When the people fear their government (you're a representative of that gov't) you have tyranny; when the gov't fears (read "respects") the people, you have freedom.
Griff
SASS/CMSA #93 Endowment
LSFSC Life
NRA Life

Offline Shotgun Franklin

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2009, 06:48:21 PM »
Slaves have no right to keep or bare arms, citizens do.
We likely have a few to many laws as it is.
Yes, I do have more facial hair now.

Offline aryfrosty

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2009, 07:20:58 PM »
I completely agree with what Griff said above... There are some few places I don't carry concealed, but by and large I carry most of the time. I carry "retired" ID and keep a current  CC license, even though I can still carry legally without having one.  When I retired the chief told me that he knew I would never be able to walk away from anybody needing help and he is right. I knid of  look at it as if I carry a little pocket of safety around me no matter where I go. Makes me feel better at least.
When you're wounded and left on Afghanistan's plains...and the women come out to cut up what remains; Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains. And go to your God like a Soldier.

Offline Federalist

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2010, 12:47:47 AM »
Yes, every law abiding American Citizen should be able to carry a firearm.

I encourage all my family, friends and neighbors to be armed, trained and legal. 

That being said, NEVER LEAVE HOME WITHOUT A LARGE CALIBER HANDGUN.  Large calibers do not start with the number nine.
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" -- Benjamin Franklin

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com