Author Topic: My final shift is tomorrow..........  (Read 13782 times)

Offline Capt. Jack McQuesten

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
My final shift is tomorrow..........
« on: September 18, 2008, 10:47:49 PM »
Well fellow troopers,

Tomorrow, after 30 years of fighting crime, I am turning in my badge, hanging up the spurs and riding off into the sunset. I can tell you that it has been quite a ride! Wow, it seems like just yesterday that I did my first solo shift on patrol. Man, that S&W .357 magnum, M-28 Highway Patrolman revolver hanging off a brand spanking new Sam Browne belt sure seemed to weigh a ton!

I actually started my career in 1974 as a Police Cadet for a local City PD. It was a small agency (18 sworn, including the Chief, Captain & Sgt's). I became a Reserve Officer there in 1977 and was promoted to a full-time Officer in 1978. After a few years there on patrol, I decided that I needed to "See the world", so I left the PD and joined the Sheriff's Office. This was an agency of 200 sworn and, of course, covered the entire county and had a lot more activity for a fire-breathing, chomping at the bit, righteous young trooper.

I stayed there for the next 16 years and then transferred to the D.A.'s office. This is a day-shift, weekends and holidays off gig, which worked out great for raising the kids (the bride is a police dispatcher, so both of us on shift work was really tough!). I have been with the D.A.'s office for 12 years. For the last 8 years, I have been assigned to a multi-agency, multi-county, computer crimes Task Force as a forensic computer examiner (Basically a computer CSI type of guy).

This last week has been bittersweet for me. While I do look forward to starting a new chapter in my life, I will truly miss the guys and gals that I have had the pleasure and honor to "Ride the river" with. So to those of you who have done your time and have hung up the badge, can I ask ya to please move over a bit and allow another retired brother to sit by the fire.....to those troopers that remain on the job, keep up the good work and stay safe out there......

Arabela Kid
SASS #56937  BOLD #527  RATS #120  WARTHOG
"There's payment to be made to them thats done this...."

Offline Top Kick Ken

• Top Active Citizen
  • Oscar S. Johnson, GAR, My Great Grandfather.
  • Liked:
Re: My final shift is tomorrow..........
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2008, 02:50:48 AM »
Congratulations.  Be safe tomorrow and remember that you need to get home safe at the end of your shift!  The coffee pot is still on the fire; c'mon in and sit a spell.  I am sure we can rustle up some stronger libation if the coffeee isn't what you want. 

Thank you for your service.

Top Kick Ken
Respectfully Submitted,

Top Kick Ken
Sergeant Major, Department of the Pacific
Grand Army of the Frontier

GAF #71
BOLD #943
SASS #47880L

Offline SFT

• Top Active Citizen
  • You can't kill a man born to hang!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2008, 12:48:25 PM »
Come, warm yourself by the fire, and tell us of your life, your family, and of all the people that have called you "help" over the years.
Of all the things I've lost over the years, it's my mind that I miss the most!
SASS# 35973, BOLD #557, Tejas Caballeros, Texican Rangers and TSRA

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 12:00:46 AM »

Offline California Lawdawg

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2008, 09:48:29 PM »
Congratulations on your retirement and welcome aboard Pard. Lots and lots of fine cowboys here.

Lawdawg

Offline Texas Lawdog

• NCOWS Senator "Old School" Cop
  • Top Active Citizen
  • " We're all Here because We're not all There".
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2008, 02:00:09 AM »
My last day has been postponed for almost 10 days due my case of shingles that won't go away. I still have the chicken pox symptoms so I'm still contagious.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline SFT

• Top Active Citizen
  • You can't kill a man born to hang!
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2008, 06:45:05 AM »
My last day has been postponed for almost 10 days due my case of shingles that won't go away. I still have the chicken pox symptoms so I'm still contagious.

Ow!  That can be painful, I hope your symptoms subside quickly and you can get everything done.  The fire will still be warm and your chair will still be here.
Of all the things I've lost over the years, it's my mind that I miss the most!
SASS# 35973, BOLD #557, Tejas Caballeros, Texican Rangers and TSRA

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2008, 12:11:53 AM »
Thank for the kind words gang. It means a lot to me. I have been retired now for two whole days and it feels pretty great ;D!!!!!

Texas Lawdawg, hang in there partner. I hope you get better soon and join us by the fire......

Arabela Kid

Offline Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Live To Fight Another Day
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2008, 11:51:31 AM »
Howdy Arabela Kid  ;D

Congratulations Pard, and Welcome to the" GREAT NEW WORLD OF RETIREMENT", I hope you will enjoy it, after 30 years of service you deserve to have a great rest of your life.

Best Regards  ;)

tEN wOLVES  ;) :D ;D

NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Offline Utah Bob

• Top Active Citizen
    • Lazy Bob Ranch
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2008, 07:29:32 AM »
Well drag another rockin chair over by the stove. Congratulations! Retirement rocks. I highly recommend it! ;D
Rocky Mountain Warthog
BOLD #1
GAF #6
Proprietor - Lazy Bob Ranch
No cattle, No crops, No problem

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2008, 10:19:59 AM »
Been a week now.  Another three or four days and you can get that stupid smile off your face and start planning on ways to waste time.   ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Offline Charlie Bowdre

• PISTOLARO .
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Charlie Bowdre
  • SASS #: 87747
  • GAF #: 502
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2008, 01:44:09 PM »
Kid , Congrats on a job well done .
It has been 2 years for me , seems like 2 days . I wouldn't trade the 34 years for a pot of gold BUT boy oh boy the last 2 have been grand .

Sit back , relax , catch up on the next 30 .
 ;D
Best to you and your family

Dutchy
Retired Mun.Police and RCMP (Feds)
"I'm too old to go soldiering any more , too stiff in the joints to ride point and too dam fat to wrestle drunks Any day they don't pat you on the face with a shovel is a good one"

BOLD 887 
Bvt.Major  Chaplain  GAF  502 
STORM 271 
SASS 87747
CHINOOK COUNTRY

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2008, 05:11:51 AM »
I'm takin' my retirement papers in today. I'm all scabbed over and I've still gotta a lot of pain in the nerves in my shoulder. I put in 38 years as a police officer and deputy sheriff. I don't know if I'm done yet. I'm going to take some more time off and make up my mind.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2008, 01:05:03 PM »
"The Deed It Is Done"  MacBeth    It took about 2 hours to go from Deputy Sheriff to civilian. My last offical day is Tuesday. I'm still on sick leave with the shingles.  Maybe it will soak in next week.

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2008, 07:36:57 PM »
"The Deed It Is Done"  MacBeth    It took about 2 hours to go from Deputy Sheriff to civilian. My last offical day is Tuesday. I'm still on sick leave with the shingles.  Maybe it will soak in next week.

Texas Lawdog,

Good for you mister! It is a great, but kind of weird feeling that's for sure! I have just finished my first whole week of being retired and I am loving it ;D!

Good luck to ya partner!

Offline Elmer Watson

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2008, 10:55:39 AM »
Congradulations on retirement but if you still want to make a difference may I suggest teaching as a second career?  I am actually reaching more kids now and hopefully getting them off the downward path.  I teach special needs kids who are traditionally a prime target for recruitment in our local gangs.  Anyway what ever you do have fun.

Teaching can be a challenge.  My wife teaches 8th grade science and our nephew was visiting her classroom on leave fromhis third tour in  Iraq.  He asked her how she could do what she did.  She asked if if he might like to teach He replied " teach 8th graders or go back to Iraq ?"  he paused and then said  "at least in Iraq I can shoot back" 

Teaching can be rewarding.  One of our teachers retired as a sgt from our local PD.  He has a student teacher in his room who just retired as a Lt. for the same PD.  A little good natured pay back can be fun.
BOLD # 864
RATS # 373

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2011, 12:24:21 PM »
Well gang, I lasted a whole five months before I ended up being asked by my agency to come back on a part time basis to help out doing some CSI stuff. So for the last couple of years, I have spent my time between the Department, my "Honey do" list and trips out my place in New Mexico. As of June 14th of this year, I ended my "Second Tour", so to speak.

Earlier this month, we sold the homestead in California, moved the kids out, packed up the wagons and headed out to the cabin in New Mexico! The lovely bride still has a couple of months to go before she can retire, so I will be busy getting the cabin ship shape for her arrival. 

We will be living at the cabin for a couple of years and eventually we are hoping to build some sort of hacienda out at our ranch property. I plan on joining the "Lincoln County Regulators" SASS group if they will have an old Northern Yankee law dawg...... ;D!

Hope to meet y'alls on the trail.....Stay safe!

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 632
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2011, 04:58:12 PM »
Well, congratulations again.  Enjoy yourself--we've got your back.

CC Griff
Manager, WT Ranch--Coal Creek Division

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
1860 Henry Rifle Shooter #173
SSS #573

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com