Author Topic: Vehicles  (Read 25033 times)

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Vehicles
« on: January 06, 2008, 08:46:46 PM »
Couple of us have been shootin’ the bull about the vehicles we were stuck drivin’ on another forum.

Best I had were the Malibus with the package, bar none. The worse was a toss up between Ford Fairmonts in patrol ‘n the International Scouts we had in K-9 once. Both were awful.

What say, Lawdawgs?   
Honorary Life Member of the Pungo Posse. Badge #1. An honor bestowed by the posse. Couldn’t be more proud or humbled.

All I did was name it ‘n get it started. The posse made it great. A debt I can never repay. Thank you, mi amigos.

Offline SFT

• Top Active Citizen
  • You can't kill a man born to hang!
  • Liked:
Re: Vehicles
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2008, 11:00:41 PM »
Worst by a wide margin was a 1994 (I think?) Ford Taurus that someone had the nerve to put a cage in.  And get this, it had power seats, power locks, which automatically locked when the doors closed (drove me insane!!!)  I couldn't force the seat back far enough for a man HALF my height of 6'4" to drive comfortably, and with all the added weight the 3 liter V-6 couldn't sustain 85 mph on a 1 degree incline, which was fine because the suspension felt like it was going to come apart at any moment above 45 mph.   >:( :o

The best?  A mare named Baby Star, God rest her in peace.

Second best was a Ford Expedition.

Of all the things I've lost over the years, it's my mind that I miss the most!
SASS# 35973, BOLD #557, Tejas Caballeros, Texican Rangers and TSRA

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 411
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2008, 05:39:27 AM »
I'm with STF ...

The best a mare named "China Red" and God rest her in peace too.
...waiting for me in Fiddlers Green, I trust.

Sorry did not mean to highjack the post  :-X
when planets align...do the deal !

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:06:27 AM »

Offline Charlie Bowdre

• PISTOLARO .
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Charlie Bowdre
  • SASS #: 87747
  • GAF #: 502
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2008, 09:09:32 AM »
Arcey , those Malibu's with all the trim were cool , the early 70's Dodge and Plymouth Fury but I still like the old Crown Vic Highway cars I finished up with .

The worst ..had to be my first ...a  68 Rambler Classic. Had a tiny cherry ball on top ...no radio...no screen..no nothing . oh my God , back in the day.

Thanks for the memory
Dutchie
"I'm too old to go soldiering any more , too stiff in the joints to ride point and too dam fat to wrestle drunks Any day they don't pat you on the face with a shovel is a good one"

BOLD 887 
Bvt.Major  Chaplain  GAF  502 
STORM 271 
SASS 87747
CHINOOK COUNTRY

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2008, 12:07:54 PM »
Towards the end of my uniform patrol days. Remember bein’ disappointed when Chevrolet dropped the Nova. Finally had a decent car the city would buy ‘n it was dead. Gottah give it ta my pard at the garage. Told me he’d driven the Malibu. Slight changes made it more comfortable ‘n it ran ‘n drove just as well. Relax, I was gonna like it. The Malibu picked it up ‘n never missed a beat. He was right.

Tried ta get a surveyed Malibu goin’ thru my step-dad. That particular one had been assigned as a supervisor’s car. The body was still straight, just needed fresh paint. Interior wasn’t half bad. Had the 350 with the four bolt main in it. Wanted to re-build it ‘n warm it up a little. Stiffen the suspension a bit. Sealed bid auction. Didn’t offer enough.

We had Furies when I was a rookie. Looked at new arrivals at the garage one evenin’. New car stickers said they had the Taxi Cab package.
Honorary Life Member of the Pungo Posse. Badge #1. An honor bestowed by the posse. Couldn’t be more proud or humbled.

All I did was name it ‘n get it started. The posse made it great. A debt I can never repay. Thank you, mi amigos.

Offline Sod Buster

• My Barn, My Rules
  • Top Active Citizen
  • What happens in the Barn - Stays in the Barn
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 13
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2008, 03:04:23 PM »
We had Furies when I was a rookie....New car stickers said they had the Taxi Cab package.

For haulin' scumbags around in the back seat?
SASS #49789L, NCOWS #2493, RATS #122, WARTHOGS, SBSS, SCORRS, STORM #287
ROII, NRA RSO, NRA Benefactor, VSSA Life

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2008, 06:27:51 PM »
For haulin' scumbags around in the back seat?

Have ta give the Mayflowers one thing o’er the little Chevrolets. It was easier gettin’ someone in the back that didn’t wanna go.

Offline SFT

• Top Active Citizen
  • You can't kill a man born to hang!
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2008, 09:15:37 PM »
I'm with STF ...

The best a mare named "China Red" and God rest her in peace too.
...waiting for me in Fiddlers Green, I trust.

Sorry did not mean to highjack the post  :-X

Don't worry about that, a good ride is a good ride.
Of all the things I've lost over the years, it's my mind that I miss the most!
SASS# 35973, BOLD #557, Tejas Caballeros, Texican Rangers and TSRA

Offline Texas Lawdog

• NCOWS Senator "Old School" Cop
  • Top Active Citizen
  • " We're all Here because We're not all There".
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2008, 02:50:08 AM »
The weak point on this 70's Chrysler products were the front brakes.  They faded fast in a high speed chase. But, I have to admit the sweetest sound was hearing that 440 coming to you when you wre needin help. I started with a 1966 Ford Galaxie 4 door. I guess I have driven all the major brands at one time or the other. Ford, Chevy, Chrysler Newport, Dodges(Monaco,Diplomat), Plymouth(Fury, Satellite, Gran Fury), Ford( LTD, CV, Taurus), Chevy(Malibu, Caprice), and Pontiac (Le Mans).
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline Eagle Eyes Jefferson

• Chaplain for Department of the Atlantic
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2008, 05:51:05 PM »
When I started we were driving the plymouth furies and dodge diplomats. Wasn't real fond of the chevrolets. Guess I'd have to say I liked the crown vics best. Big, powerful and pretty good ride.  Still in one now but the department is going to chevy impalas for investigations personnel.

EEJ
Eagle Eyes Jefferson
Chaplain for Department of the Atlantic
GAF #478
Department of the Atlantic
BOLD #893

Offline Charlie Bowdre

• PISTOLARO .
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Charlie Bowdre
  • SASS #: 87747
  • GAF #: 502
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2008, 08:29:12 AM »
Guess I'd have to say I liked the crown vics best. Big, powerful and pretty good rider

I agree , nothing like a power turn on the 4 lane in a Crown Vic . Like shooting a clean stage!!

Dutchie
"I'm too old to go soldiering any more , too stiff in the joints to ride point and too dam fat to wrestle drunks Any day they don't pat you on the face with a shovel is a good one"

BOLD 887 
Bvt.Major  Chaplain  GAF  502 
STORM 271 
SASS 87747
CHINOOK COUNTRY

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2008, 07:16:08 PM »
When I was a lad, they put me on a message to run body parts from the hospital to Hampton. We don’t have open highway but that was all interstate early in the mornin’. Wasn’t a soul on it but me. Code One was authorized.

I guess it was a ’71 or ’72 Fury. It was the CO’s car ‘til he got a new one then they marked it ‘n assigned it to a district. Pretty much new. When I got off the interchange from 264 to 64 I turned the dash lights out. Wanted ta be able ta tell IA I didn’t know how fast I was goin’.

Got the package, eyes, ta Hampton. The car didn’t make it back downtown. Smelled funny then it just quit movin’.

Had to sneak the same car ta my Dad’s house for some minor, quick body werk once, my fault. Pulled a drunk one night ‘n before I could get out the fool backed into it ‘n busted the grill out. Got in it one night ‘n it was vibratin’ bad. The guy I’d relieved had changed a tire ‘n put the lugs back on backwards. Ate the wheel center up. He retired a Deputy Chief.   

Darned thing was jinxed. I was glad ta get away from it.

Offline Marshal Tac

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2008, 12:07:08 AM »
My picks don't go back that far... but they again, neither do I !  ;D

Started out with the square body chevy caprice.... good car. Lots of room, ran great and never had a problem with it... The went to the sqare bodied Ford LTD Crown Vic. Also a good car... Wasn't as fast as the Chevy, but handles well and still had plenty of room.

Then some bean counter decided to thrust upon my young butt the biggest heap of horse hockey ever to wear a badge on the door since the late 70's.... The Ford Taurus SHO....  That heap was cramped, handled like it was on roller skates, couldn't get to 85 MPH without a down hill slope and a tail wind, and fighting a 6 foot drunk into that tiny back seat/cage was a never ending opportunity to get your butt kicked! (or another sensitive part of your anatomy!  :o )

They didn't get any better when they changed body styles to the "bathtub" version either...

Finally went back to the Ford Crown Vic and pretty much stuck with them until recently. Never had many complaints about them either until they started mounting computers and crap in them... Like putting 10 pounds of crap into a 5 pound sack....

We recently got a few of the 07 Dodge police packaged Chargers in the fleet...  :D 8)

I gotta give them Dodge boys credit.. that car ROCKS! It is fast, handles great, there is a surprising amount of room, and they look COOL in black and white!  That 5.7 Hemi flat out SCOOTS....  At speed, this car feels like it is PLANTED to the asphalt!

We have noticed that they go through brakes like they were free... but they haven't let us down yet. My only minor complaint is that, for us that are 6 foot or better, you have to step down into it to get in, and the windshield is low, the door window's short (arm rest is way to high to use) and it takes alot of getting used to as far as the driver's "field of view" goes... moslty because of the low windshield.  The back doors do not open very wide and the rear door openings are just in front of the rear wheels, which makes getting a prisoner in back a pain in the ass....

When I promoted, I ended up being forced into a "Supervisor's vehicle", which is a Ford Expidition. I don't like the way it handles, or picks up speed (it's 4 wheel drive and geared like it..) and I hate climbing in and out of the damn thing... But it is well laid out inside and I do enjoy being able to look down into other peoples vehicles at stop lights...... We don't transport prisoners in them, so they still have a real, normal back seat, which is nice. Every opportunity I can find/create to "down" the Expadition and take a Charger instead is fully explored! :)

My favorite so far is that Charger... The one I have the most hours in and feel the most "at home" in is the Crown Vic...
-Marshal Tac
"Well Mayor, I think we did our good deed for the day."
BOLD #763
SBSS #1909

Offline Joe LeFors

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2008, 01:01:16 AM »
Greetings.

I came across this and just had to add a few:

The best I've had are the Crown Victorias, I have a 2006 model now, and it's the nicest of those I've driven.

On the other hand, it replaced a Dodge pick-up that was a rental after my Explorer threw a rod in th aftermaths of Hurricanes Katrina and Rita.  It was fire-engine red with "HERTZ" in yellow letters on the doors.

We also drove Isuzu Rodeos for a while.  They do not do well on their roofs, but that is another story.

The absolute DOG award goes to my first un-marked car, a 4-door Plymouth Reliant.  Now before you rub your eyes to read that again, yes, I said a Plymouth Reliant.  I got it as a hand-me-down in 1989.  It was dark blue, had a dash light but no siren, and the unit radio antenna was mounted in the center of the roof, above the interior dome light.

I had an accident with it once where the right front fender hit a retaining wall along the road.  The driver's door wouldn't open.

My son remebers it as a 3 year old, and to this day refers to it as "the cramped car."

Offline Texas Lawdog

• NCOWS Senator "Old School" Cop
  • Top Active Citizen
  • " We're all Here because We're not all There".
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2008, 06:02:10 PM »
When I first started in Law enforcement(1970), police cars usually had the largest engine available in them and they were gashogs.  Gas was a lot cheaper then, so gas milage was not a factor. I have driven just about all the police packages at one time or another.  The 440 Chrysler products were probably the fastest, but bad brake fade in a highspeed chase.  The Chevy Nova was the only one I never drove. The 81 Fairmonts were probably the worst.  The 82 and 83 Malibus handled the best. The Fords were the slowest, except in 1975, Ford offered the 460 in the Torino. We got two of thes cars and they were screamers. That was the only year that Ford put the 460 in the Torinos. They were a handful, all that power and no weight in the rearend.  The last year that you could get a 440 in the Chrysler product(Plymouth Fury and Dodge Monaco). In 1979, they went to a 360. I had a 79 Chrysler Newport and an 80 Grand Fury.  In 81, they went to a 318, which they used until 88. We had Chevy Caprices the late 80s and 90s.  We have had CVs since 92. I have now come full circle, the Chrysler product Dodge Chargers and now being used as police vehicles.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2008, 03:31:14 PM »
Requalified this mornin’ then went by Central Records for a new ID. CR is in the Police Operations Center. The Detective Bureau where I worked for several years is in the same building.

It’s been a year since I’ve been there. The Intrepid I picked out as my last new car was there. City garage let me pick either one off the front row. Took the green one. The purchasin’ agent bought out all the ‘98s that didn’t sell from the local Dodge dealers at the model/year changeover. They had ‘em parked all over the place ‘n let ‘em sit until they issued the things. Could see it’s been demoted to the ‘old Fraud/Forgery car’ parked where it was. Thinkin’ I got it in April 2000. My parkin’ place was vacant. Don’t know what the squad supervisor is drivin’ these days.

There were three or four 14 or 15 year old Luminas on the lot. Didn’t see any Tauri. Most of the assigned parkin’ places were vacant. Didn’t see anything new at all with the exception of a fairly new Expedition marked ‘Forensics’.

All of the entry team’s armored cars were there. A couple I don’t remember seein’ before. Their cookie truck I stole ‘n hid once wasn’t. That thing was ancient when I swiped it ‘n that was a long time ago. Maybe they've gotten rid of it.

Saw one marked car belongin’ ta the First ‘n that was a Crown. The body shop at the garage doesn’t do the custom markin’ anymore. They’re marked with out-of-a-catalog decals. They look good but they’re the same as everyone elses.

Offline Elmer Watson

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2008, 10:57:18 AM »
My dog award goes to the 74 Fords Patrol got stuck with.  Way too many broken water pumps afterr a 125 + MPH pursuit and three burned up after the cataletic converters set the  grass on fire when parked off road.  Watch commanderr finally ordered that we did not park on grass anymore.  Pretty hard tyo do on rural beats.  My favorite was a rambler stationwagon.  Only went 105 on a code three run but it always got me there with out any problems. 
BOLD # 864
RATS # 373

Offline Yul Catchum

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2008, 11:32:30 AM »
My worst overall was a DODGE I had as a Shift LT.
 The one I wrecked the most, it just wouldn't die, was the Ford Fairmont I drove while I K-9 for 4 years. Ford tough POS applied to that car!

We were laughing yesterday about the time another Unit ran a stop sign thereby running me off the road where I went airborne, crossed two lanes of traffic in a power slide, cleared a fire hydrant, to finally stop after hitting a parked truck, school bus and house.  Then we cussed the Captain that falsified the accident report to carry me at fault so his stop sign running favorite patrolman wouldn't get in trouble. 

Ahh the Good Old Days, when Supervisors were REALLY Bas####s and we were always right.

Offline Handsome Dave

• Law Dawg #919
  • Active citizen
  • Maj. General Bryan Grimes, CSA
    • Posse profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2008, 10:28:58 PM »
Worst I had to drive was Dodge K Car  :P

Best I had was a toss up between a Chevy Impala or a Crown Victoria
Cpt. David A.(Handsome Dave) Grimes - BOLD #919
Warrenton, Missouri
Missouri Territorial Rangers
Great Great Nephew of Maj. Gen. Bryan Grimes, CSA

Offline aryfrosty

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2008, 09:33:24 PM »
My first favorite was a 1972 Ford 429. Lord only knows how fast that car would go after you wound the long stroke 429 up on the wide road. It had a 150mph speedo and it was analogue and the car would hide the needle. Then in 1974 we went to Torinos with the "fantastic 460s". 110mph off a cliff. Plenty of Ford "taxicabs" in between until 1991 when I was issued my first "Personal patrol car". The Chief gave me a choice between a 91 Ford and a 91 Caprice. I took the Chevy. Yessir. Digital speedo and enough oomph to run the calls. The first 10-80 I ever had was a bolo for a DUI vehicle leaving the city. I met him at the line and turned around on him. I passed him and got far enough ahead to safely block the road and get him stopped.  I retired in 1995 and the city retired the Caprice also. It was so ugly nobody else wanted it.
When you're wounded and left on Afghanistan's plains...and the women come out to cut up what remains; Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains. And go to your God like a Soldier.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com