Author Topic: "Instant" background checks  (Read 23200 times)

Offline Fairshake

• Shooter of the HOLY BLACK
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: "Instant" background checks
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2009, 10:13:37 AM »
I know this is a old posting but I just had to chime in. When I was a cop I never had a problem with gun buys. I even had my own FFL for iover 15 years. I left being a law dog in 1990 and still was alright untill 2004, then the problem started. I was delayed every time I bought a gun. At first it didn't bother me as the three days was not much to ask. Then I did a couple of gun buys and swaps over the net with the guns going through my friends FFL. I got upset that I could not take the gun home. If it came in on a Thursday then I could not pick it up until the following Wednesday as the weekends don't count,only working days of Monday - Friday. I just filed for a pin number and read where that can take 6 months. Now I'm getting upset because it's some low life that never has done right in his life and is using my info or close to it that's causing my delays. I signed up for the military in 1965 when the majority were looking for ways out and then came home and became a cop and gave those years of my life and now I can't walk in a buy a gun!!!!
Deadwood Marshal  Border Vigilante SASS 81802                                                                         WARTHOG                                                                   NRA                                                                            BOLD So that His place shall never be with those cold and Timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat

Offline Dirty Brass

• Ol' Ter-Bear
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Live life to the fullest!
    • TLC Guns & Ammo Inc
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2009, 10:46:02 AM »
I have run across quite a few LE's and Military (active) people that seem to require further investigation when doing BG checks. Not sure if it's security clearances or HLS issues, but for whatever reason, it is happening. I have noticed that E-check submission seldom have any delays, while calling in BG checks run the gauntlet so to speak. Here in Wisconsin handguns go through the state agency, and that too sometimes gets some delays. I always wondered if it had to do with retrieving different files off the computer system, and the agents weren't quite sure how to expedite it, so they just put a delay on it and call back later.

In any case, for what it's worth, you are not alone by a long shot -  but I'm sure that is of little consolation......

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2009, 01:16:55 PM »
Fairshake,
Thank you for your service.
"When you have to shoot, shoot.  Don't talk."
     Tuco--The Good the Bad and the Ugly

"First comes smiles, then lies.  Last is gunfire."
     Roland Deschain

"Every man steps in the manure now an again, trick is not ta stick yer foot in yer mouth afterward"

religio SENIOR est exordium of scientia : tamen fossor contemno sapientia quod instruction.

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 10:36:09 PM »

Offline Texas Lawdog

• NCOWS Senator "Old School" Cop
  • Top Active Citizen
  • " We're all Here because We're not all There".
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2009, 03:39:13 PM »
I don't know what to tell you about the problem. I've have been a LEO since 1970.  I purchase 2 or 3 firearms a year. It takes about 5 minutes for me to get checked another 5 to 10 minutes to fill out the form.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline Black Powder

• Top Active Citizen
  • Not messed with since 1956
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2009, 07:01:33 PM »
I have run across quite a few LE's and Military (active) people that seem to require further investigation when doing BG checks.

We're wasting time & money investigating the wrong guys!  Duh...

Too much info given & collected leads to too much data to inquire about.  Paralysis by analysis.  The crooks get their guns faster than our soldiers, vets & LEOs, & there's no data to mine on them. 

Give us more regulation.  It makes me feel safe just to think about.  ;)
I've got my excuses and I'm stickin' to 'em.

Offline Dirty Brass

• Ol' Ter-Bear
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Live life to the fullest!
    • TLC Guns & Ammo Inc
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2009, 11:20:03 AM »
Yup - and I just got notice the governor here in Wisconsin helped balance his budget by raising the State fee for handgun BG checks by $5.00 - upping it to $13.00 per check. Add a little insult to injury  >:(

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com