Author Topic: New Colt (now with pictures)  (Read 1711 times)

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
New Colt (now with pictures)
« on: July 23, 2021, 04:15:26 PM »
SAA, 4 3/4" .45.  New production, S90xxxA.  Smooth cycling, perfectly timed.  No "grit" clean break around 4 lbs.  All blueing dark, smooth and even. Very dark pack hardening compared to my other two SAAs (1995, 2005)  but lovely to look at, flowing deep shades of blue, some gray with a hint of orange.  Disassembled, no burs, interior looks well finished.  Nice square edges on the front sight, previous ones had been rounded by overpolishing.    Tight barrel cylinder gap, very even, no endshake.   Loading gate very well fitted,  flush with the recoil shield, cannot feel the seam running my thumb over the upper closure.  Excellent fit on the cylinder bushing, no perceptible wiggle, yet slides out under gravity alone.

One end of the base pin retainer latch appears polished in the white?  Screws appear nicely blued. No "dishing" around the holes from too much pressure on the polishing wheel.  Grip frame fit is seamless, black rubber eagle grips well fitted,  but thick of the frame, all my Colts are like this.  Fits my hand as is.

VERY heavy mainspring, that will be replaced, I put Lee Fisher "Gunslinger" springs in all my SAAs. (I swear, Colt still uses the Military spec spring for the original Martin and Benet primers)  Should take some weight off the trigger.  Chamber ball seats mike right at .455.

Hope to get a range report soon, but very pleased with this.  Paid a bit over MSRP to get it, but decided not to wait for the market to shake out.  This gives me one of each principle barrel lengths. ( 7.5" 5.5" 4.75")

Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1180
Re: New Colt
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2021, 04:23:29 PM »
Excellent.  A picture is worth a thousand words.  At least, for the frame colors.  ;D

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
Re: New Colt
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2021, 04:25:04 PM »
Working on it. 

Swap out the springs, put a Bullseye ejector on it, and it'll be field ready.  (I put Bullseye ejectors on everything, just like them)
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Advertising

Re: New Colt (now with pictures)
« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:36:40 AM »

Offline Niederlander

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2021, 08:40:09 PM »
Love it!  Looking at getting one myself.
"There go those Nebraskans, and all hell couldn't stop them!"

Offline Rube Burrows

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 84934
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 691
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2022, 10:42:36 AM »
Very nice looking Colt.
"If legal action will not work use lever action and administer the law with Winchesters" ~ Louis L'Amour

SASS# 84934
RATS#288

Offline Dave T

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 901
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2022, 03:44:40 PM »
Congratulations!  Having all three standard barrel lengths just seem right to me (smile) and I like you're Bullseye ejector idea.

I have a suggestion.  You might consider getting your hammers, at least this one, color case hardened.  The originals were done that way as you no doubt know and the polished, bare metal hammers seem just wrong.

Your gun(s) and your choice of course.  Still, well done with your latest acquisition.

Dave

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com