Author Topic: So...Who's all goin' to Ackley Iowa......  (Read 10545 times)

Offline Lone Oak

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
So...Who's all goin' to Ackley Iowa......
« on: March 09, 2006, 04:19:13 PM »
.....the weekend of April 22 & 23 to hunt buffalo?  Hope to run into some of you there.

Lone Oak

Offline Fox Creek Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 104
Re: So...Who's all goin' to Ackley Iowa......
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2006, 07:41:14 PM »
I'll be there. You'll hear me grunting when I lift my 15 lb. 44-77 to shoot offhand.  :o ;D ;)

Offline Ol Gabe

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2006, 09:11:37 AM »
Lone Oak,
Are you bringing the rest of the bunch from Minnesota down? Really liked watching you guys shoot last year and the primitive camp was an extra, it really set the mood and added to the enjoyment!
Best regards and drive safely!
'Ol Gabe

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 07:44:41 PM »

Offline Lone Oak

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2006, 02:11:00 PM »
'Ol Gabe,
If everything goes as planned 5 of us will be there. Probably several others too that I don't know.

Counting down the days...
Lone Oak

Offline Dakota Widowmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS# 65062
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2006, 12:06:34 AM »
I would like to go...

Here is the question, though...

Can I bring my 1885 in 45-90? I plan on shooting lead (not jacketed) and using either GOEX (FFg Express) or Pyrodex "Select".
(I have had REALLY good luck with Pyrodex in my model 94 in 38-55, but, I am still waiting on delivery for my 1886... won't know for a few weeks)

405gr bullets should take down some rams, if I remember correctly.

Do us levergun fanatics get to participate if we promise to use only one round in the gun at any given time? :)

Offline Lone Oak

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2006, 02:21:22 PM »
Dakota Widowmaker,

Best to check with the guys who put it on ....here's a link to their web site.

http://www.leadbucket.com/cvr/index.html   

Click on "2006 Schedule" and it'll take you to where you can find rules etc. for Big Bore Shoots. Also contact info there. Jay Weber is the one you want to contact.

Hope you can make it.

Lone Oak

Offline Fox Creek Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 104
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2006, 04:50:40 PM »
405. gr. bullets will probably peel the paint only!  ;D  I had a buddy who tried a 45-110 & 385 gr. bullets and the MINIATURE BUFFALO targets never wiggled!  :D  I'd personally recommend nothing under a 500 gr. bullet. These plates weigh up to 60 lbs.!!! Remember, it's a timed event, 25 shots in 8 - 12 mins. (depending on the stage) and the targets are at UNKNOWN distances anywhere from 100 to sometimes a little over 300 yds. & you must shoot from cross sticks, prone or seated. 

Go here:  http://www.leadbucket.com/cvr/bb_rules.html

Offline Ol Gabe

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2006, 07:03:48 PM »
Dear E-Friends, NCOWS PARDS & PARDETTES, Buffler Shooters, & All,
Below is an 'edited' (for space only) copy of info I recvd from Jay Weber at CVR last week, for further details go to: www.cedarvalleyregulators.org or the leadbucket site, then click on the '2006 Events' list and 'Tips' for additional info.
Best regards and hope to see you all on the Firing Line!
'Ol Gabe
Proud Family Sponsors of the CVR 2006 STRAND'S STAND MID & LONG RANGE SHOOTS
.....................................................................................................................................................................................

CVR 2006 BIG BORE RULE CHANGES-

BUFFALO SHOOTS:
      4 Classes – Scoped
                      Traditional
                      Smokeless
                      Gun with Open Barrel Sights
      Spotting scopes and spotters- Each herd will have instructions of what can be used for that herd.
MUZZLE-LOADER/Pistol Cal. Rifle SHOOTS: 
                       “Ding” targets! Traditional muzzle-loaders, pistol Cal. lever action rifles and 30/30, 32 sp., 35       
                        Rem., 32/40 etc. may be used.  Lead bullets. 
.22 SILHOUETTE SHOOT:
                        Any safe .22 rifle    (Warning – small targets, long range)
                        These Shoots are a 'test run' to find out what we need to improve on
BULL’S EYE SHOOT:
                        Buffalo Rifle or Silhouette Rifle (no wimpy guns), 100 yards – 'Off hand'.
                ......................................................ATTENTION!.............................................................
Jay says "One of our dedicated shooters has been kind enough to donate some very nice items for give away and drawings. We will be selling chances on some really top-notch items! Money we collect will be used to replace or purchase additional targets. We will draw for winners at the Fall Buffalo Shoot. Included are: Paul Jones mould (certificate), $5.00 per chance; an MVA scope, 1 chance $5.00, 5 chances $20.00. We also have other items to give away – top quality case trimmers, Buffalo Arms Cross Sticks, caps, etc. Each registered Shooter from this whole year/2006 will have a chance to win any of these items. The drawing will be at the Fall Buffalo Shoot, Sept. 16 & 17.  You do not need to be present to win."
CVR Big Bore Committee, for more specific details, contact Jay at phone or e-address listed below.
......................................PRINT THIS PAGE AND CUT HERE TO SEND IN!....................................................
            NCOWS CEDAR VALLEY REGULATORS 2006 BIG BORE REGISTRATION FORM
                                                   Prairie Fire Range, Ackley, Iowa
                                                PRE-REGISTRATION IS REQUIRED!!
CHECK ONE!_____Spring Buffalo Shoot, Sat. & Sun., April 22 & 23, $35.00 ($40.00 day of the shoot)
                 _____Silhouette  Shoot/Sat., May 20, $20.00 ($25.00 day of shoot)
                 _____Bull’s Eye Shoot/Sun.,  May 21, $15.00 ($20.00 day of shoot )
                 _____Spring “Strand’s Stand”/Sat., June 24, Mid Range Shoot $20.00 ($25.00 day of shoot) 
                 _____Spring “Strand’s Stand”/Sun., June 25, Long Range Shoot $15.00 ($20.00 day of shoot)
                 _____Silhouette Two Day Shoot/Sat., Sun., July 1 & 2,  $35.00 ($40.00 day of shoot)
                 _____Summer Buffalo Shoot/Sat. & Sun., July 15 & 16, $35.00 ($40.00 day of shoot)
                 _____Summer “Strand’s Stand”, Sat., August 19, Mid Range Shoot, $20.00 ($25.00  day of shoot)
                 _____Summer “Strand’s Stand” Sun. , August 20, Long Range Shoot, $20.00 ($25.00 day of shoot)
                 _____Fall Buffalo Shoot, September 16, 17, $35.00 ($40.00 day of shoot)
                 _____Fun Shoot, September 29 & 30, October 1, more details later!!
                        Shooters may register for more than one shoot on one registration form.
                        Check In: 8 A.M. Posse assignments – 8:30 A.M.
                        PRE 1899 DRESS is REQUIRED at all CVR events, only exceptions, new shooters!
                        INFORMATION: Jay Weber 319-266-0718, email: kweb@cfu.net     
                        Check us out at:www/cedarvalleyregulators.org

NAME______________________________________________________________ _______________________
ADDRESS___________________________________________________________________________________
CITY/STATE_________________________________________________________________ZIP_____________
EMAIL________________________________________________________PHONE________________________
CHECK ALL THAT APPLY!
Amount enclosed $_________________
Meal cost is extra!   Breakfast Sat.___Lunch Sat.___Breakfast Sun.___Lunch Sun.___
Yes, I will be camping at the range______Arrival___________________________________________________ 
I would like to shoot with_____________________________________________________________________

REGISTRATION DUE:  One week before the shoot!  Make checks payable to CVR!
SEND TO:  Karen Weber 3904 Veralta Dr. Cedar Falls, Iowa  50613

Offline Lone Oak

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2006, 08:55:39 AM »
Fox Creek Kid,
Last year with my .40-70 2 1/2" using a 388gr bullet, I managed to knock over 59, but had 12 stand there looking at me. Since my dear wife explained to me that a new, bigger caliber rifle is not in my near future, I am using a 455gr bullet this year in the .40-70. We'll see if it makes a difference.

Now, how will I recognize you guys? Maybe by our actual names when Jay has us all in a group and we tell who we are and where we're from. I'm Ted Kramer from Long Prairie, Minnesota Territory.

See you there...
Lone Oak

Offline Kayleen

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2006, 03:33:07 PM »
  The first two years that I shot in the buffalo hunt, I used a 405 bullet in my 45-70. I did very well and could knock down the buffs without to much trouble. I think the important part is the placement of your shot more than anything else. I remember shooting a bit higher on the neck area.
Maybe it was pure luck more than anything else, but I had fun and that is the main part.
Kayleen

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS# 65062
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2006, 08:11:35 PM »
What is the rule on leverguns?

Do they have to be single loaded? (I am assuming they do...but want to be sure)

Offline Ol Gabe

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2006, 08:05:03 AM »
D.W.,
As each Shoot may have some variables, it is best to call or post Jay Weber for a specific answer to your question as a blanket answer may not be appropriate here.
His phone number and e-address are on the post above and listed in the most recent issue of THE SHOOTIST on page 23 with the CVR BIG BORE Registration form. The form and info is also available on the 'Download' section of the NCOWS website at: www.ncows.org
The CVR website for additional date info, forms, and 'Tips' is at: www.cedarvalleyregulators.org
Click on the '2006 Events' icon then on any of the Buffalo or Sharps Rifle icons for details and etc.
Best regards and hope to see you on the Firing Line!
'Ol Gabe

Offline Guage Rod

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2006, 05:43:07 PM »
I will be there in Spirit pards, I sort of have a family commitment in the Flint, Michigan area (About a 9 hour Drive).  My wife's favorite niece is getting married and I don't think I better mess with that program.  I kind of like being able to sleep in the big house and being able to sleep with both eyes closed.  I know that Delmonico may not agree with this but my wife has thought of more ways to use a cast Iron skillet than to cook breakfast, ouch!!. 

No my wife is not like that really like that.   I sure will miss the shoot.  Best of luck gents.  I hope that there will be losts of posts and results of how the different catagories come out.

Via Con Dios Amigos

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS# 65062
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2006, 07:54:29 AM »
Stink.

I just found out I have to be in another state that weekend. Not happy about the turn of events at all.

I'll have to try and attend one of the events later on this summer.

Regards,

-DW

Offline fenwick

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2006, 10:34:00 AM »
steve umphress and ron mcbride ( sweedish champion frm "THE QUICK AND THE DEAD")  plan on attending.we are still
trying to wrk up a load for our new 45-70 John Bodine rolling blks.

Offline saul

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2006, 09:57:44 PM »
Maybe im wrong
                         but im starting to believe only 25% of us shoot & the other just type :-X
Aim small, Shoot small

Offline saul

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2006, 01:42:35 PM »
I missed another shoot in sac. this weekend, :-\ an going to miss the spring buffalo hunt in ackley :'(. I think Ill sell my guns & reloading equ. an buy a new lap top :-\
Aim small, Shoot small

Offline Bristow Kid

• I've got a touch of hangover beuracrate. Don't push me
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Matthew(Matt) Bohach
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2006, 06:22:37 PM »
Well pards I will more then likely not be shooting.  But I will be there come Hell or High water.  Look forward to meeting y'all.  I'll be easy to spot just look for the guy grinning ear to ear wearing cloths too modern to be there.  And a beat up ol black hat.  That'll be me.

Bristow Kid
Prayer Posse
SCORRS
NCOWS #2540
Grand Army of the Frontier #437
Department of the Missouri
PWDFR #149
RATS #233
SASS #68717
WARTHOG

Offline Ol Gabe

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2006, 08:19:49 AM »
I missed another shoot in sac. this weekend, :-\ an going to miss the spring buffalo hunt in ackley :'(. I think Ill sell my guns & reloading equ. an buy a new lap top :-\

I'm callin' 'First Dibs'!
Sorry you can't make it, hope to see you there soon!
Best regards and good shooting, of course not if you sell me your guns!
'Ol Gabe

Offline saul

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2006, 08:38:03 PM »
Hey Ol Gabe,
                  you know the scores Its killin me got to know? Thanks Steve.
Aim small, Shoot small

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com