Author Topic: Sharps Rifle  (Read 22953 times)

Offline Snapshot

• Very Active Citizen
  • Aim Small - Miss Small
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Sharps Rifle
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2006, 04:24:53 AM »
Message for Capt. Call: If you want to talk long range shot`n and Sharp rifles or Even 1885 Winchester High Wall, or if you got a strong itch to try some of them out and dont mind a bit of driving please call me: 91631880.
We do live in the same country not to far away.

At first I was a bit confused, but I do belief Steel Horse set it straight, there is a difference between a Sharps and a High Wall.
I`ve shot Sharps 45-70`s a 40-65 for years, they are bouth sold, now I have a itch for a Low Wall 38-55.
My old rifles are still in the same club, so for you trying some of them is not a problem. The local shoot`n posse will be at the shoot`n range most of Easter, so if you got the itch strong enough call me or send me an E-message.

Best Regards
Snapshot SWS#296
Glomma River Honkey Tonkers aka Wolf Valley Rangers #1
Honour is like a an island, steep and without a shore.
Once you leave you can newer return.!

General Johan Von Ewald, Danish/Norwegian Army Until 1813

Offline Brazos_Jack

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2006, 07:58:03 AM »
Just my 2 cents worth on this. I've shot against Pedersoli Sharps in BPCR Silhouette, and they'll shoot as well as any Shiloh or C Sharps. My personal rifle is a C Sharps Highwall in .40-65. The Shiloh and C Sharps are much better looking guns and to many, including me, the added pride of ownership is worth the cost. C Sharps is just as good a fit and finish as Shiloh. The owner of C Sharps and the Original (not present) owner of Shiloh were partners that couldn't get along. The owner of C Sharps can be a bit "prickly" at times while the owners of Shiloh are always bend over backwards friendly. Thats why more are lined up waiting on Shiloh even though the C Sharps rifle is just as nice. Stay away from Armi Sport made Sharps rifles.

Best caliber for Silhouette is a 40, like 40-65 or 40-70 SS (I don't recommend bottlenecks unless you're a masochist). Best long range (800-1000 yds) is probably 45-100 (45 x 2.6). Best compromize target for both is .45-90. Best huntiing cartridges are probably the .50-70 and .50-90. Best do it all compromize is probably the .45-70. Pick your game. There's horses for courses.

The longest .45 produced by sharps was the .45-110 (.45 x 2-7/8") (remember Quigley). Original Sharps rifles have been found re-chambered for the longer .45 and .50 caliber cartridges after Sharps closed it's doors.

Offline Mogollon Mike

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2006, 09:27:04 AM »
For what it is worth, I have look at all of the Sharps on the market. IMHO Shiloh Sharps is a cut above all others. Fit and finnish and service #1. I own 5 Shiloh Sharps 2 in 45-70, 2 in 45-90 and 1 in 45-110. I love them all. Just hold one and it will sell it self.

Mogollon Mike

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 05:49:03 AM »

Offline Baron von Haltomstadt

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2006, 01:15:13 PM »
This has made for very interesting reading. Someday, I hope to have one of the higher grade Sharps. Meanwhile, I am considering an IAB (Pederini?) carbine and the Pedersoli variants. The IAB is less than $700. The Pedersolis are a bit more. Does anyone have any thoughts on the IAB just as a "plinker" (100 yds or less)?

BvH
Terry  
AKA: Baron von Haltomstadt
(Formerly: Marshal Dusty Drywash)
North Central Texas Territories
BOLD RATS SASS NRA-Life USFA-CSS STORM SCORRS BOSS

Offline Brazos_Jack

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2006, 02:02:02 PM »
I would steer clear of the IAB. If you go Italian, stick to the Pedersoli. It's worth the extra bucks. Pedesoli is the only Italian Sharps I've ever seen in a competitor's hands. I've read numerous bad reports in the past on line of the IAB. I've handled them and was not favorably impressed. I bought a Pedersoli Sharps as a second silhouette rifle, since I'd seen many used successfully in competition. I eneded up working in Saudi Arabia, and still haven't fired a shot through it I had it re-chambered from 40-65 to 40-82 by Lone Star Rifle Works because I hoped to use it once in a while at ranges beyond 600 yards. Standard 40-65 is ideal for regular silhouette. Ballistic like a 45-70 up to 500 meters (rams) but less recoil over the 50 to 60 shots it takes to complete the 40 record shot match.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com