Author Topic: "Old West Cowboy" photos, Part 1 (but without Spencers) ***Photos Added***  (Read 52727 times)

Offline Two Flints

• Spencer Shooting Society Founder & Moderator
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Moderating SSS IS a "Labor of Love"!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
Hello SSS,

Thought you might be interested in seeing some Old West photos.  However, these photos do not show any Spencers.  Two Flints

Cabinet Card Photograph Full Dressed Armed Wild West Cowboy ca 1880s - Very early armed cowboy standing in unknown photographers studio. Great gilded & scalloped edge photo mount depicts this well dressed Wild West cowboy wearing a great cowboy hat, leather tooled gauntlets, fringed leather chaps, very nice triple loop holster with pistol. The belt buckle is a dog, a great real cowboy.

Imperial Size Photograph of Two Armed Cowboys ca 1890s - Two unidentified cowboys sitting in a studio with no identified photographer. This is a great image of two armed cowboys one with Winchester Rifle, the other sitting with holstered pistol and both wearing leather chaps, and cowboy hats. The man on the right has a small whip attached to his suspenders

"Whittick" Photograph of Two Armed Full Dressed Scouts ca 1880s-1890s - Great early photograph of two well dressed frontier scouts, photographed in George. B. Witticks' studio in Santa Fe, New Mexico Territory. These two men posing in the studio are well armed both have holstered pistols, great fringed leather pants and shirts, and wearing moccasins. The man sitting down is holding a Winchester, and double loop holster. The man standing has a triple loop holster, and what appears to be a breech-loading centerfire Whitney double barrel shotgun. You can see three triggers.

Cabinet Card Photograph of Great Armed Scout from Colorado 1880s - This superb image of Scout with leather fringed jacket, beaded shirt, great knee high boots & cowboy hat. Standing in the studio of J. R. Riddle located in Loveland, Colorado. This un-identified scout is also holding a Model 1873 Springfield Trapdoor Rifle and a holstered revolver with cartridge belt, a great image

CDV Autographed Photograph of B. K. O'Dwyer - Scout, Wagon Master, & Saloon Keeper ca 1870s - This early Cartes de Visite of this government scout, wagon master, teamster and Dodge City , Kansas saloon keeper. B. K. O'Dwyer autographed this beautiful CDV of himself dressed in fringed leather outfit, great wide brim hat, Bowie knife stuck in his belt, pistol, Percussion rifle and fantastic beaded moccasins.

PLATE Tin Type of Three Men, One Holding "Large Size Currency" ca 1870s - Great early tin type photograph of three cowboys sitting in studio they are all wearing great cowboy hats, vests, boots, Etc. The man standing in background is holding two large size currency notes in his hands. Very nice early tin type.

Cabinet Card Photograph of Sheriff with pistol Arizona Territory ca 1880s - Great early photograph of sheriff standing next to his horse, has a great hat on with five point star attached, great leather double loop holster with pistol holstered.

Two Imperial Size Photographs of Cowboys on the Range ca 1880s-90s - First photograph of cowboys on the plains depicts many men sitting in front of cook tent, they are all wearing great cowboy hats, staring intently at this unknown photographer.

#2 - Two Imperial Size Photographs of Cowboys on the Range ca 1880s-90s - Second image has a couple cowboys in this photograph that are in the first, also great cowboy hats and a few cowboys are on horses. They are probably cattle men on the range

Imperial Size Cabinet Card Photograph Armed Apache Scouts Arizona Territory ca 1880s-1890s - Fantastic photograph of thirteen Apache Scouts, eleven Apache Scouts holding percussion Rifles. All the Scouts are wearing shell jackets, cartridge belts and bandanas. Some of the Indian Scouts have great gauntlets on. One Indian wearing fancy gauntlets with Stars of them. There is also a lieutenant standing to the right with holstered pistol, and a Mexican interpreter (Maryildo Grivalva) with great hat, Winchester & cartridge belt. In the foreground there are a couple Wickiups'. Photographed by Erwin Baer, Prescott, Arizona. Views of the following sections of the Territory. On verso in period ink, "Lt. Herbert O. Williams, 11th inf. Comdg. Apache Scouts at San Carlos Arizona 1890. Maryildo Grivalva interpreter".

(New Photo)
Oklahoma Territory Land Boomers, circa 1883. Three clean-cut young men pose for an unknown Enid, Oklahoma Territory photographer. Each wears a side-brimmed hat, a white shirt, a decorative scarf, and is heavily armed. One man poses with his foot on a shovel. Presumably members of Capt. David L. Payne's group of renegade settlers, who made a series of "raids" to illegally settle Indian lands in the Territory in the early 1880s. The 3.75" x 5.5" image is affixed to a slightly larger photographer's mount.

(New Photo)                                   
Quarter Plate Tintype of Well-Armed Cowboy. This mustachioed cowboy stands posed with his Winchester '73 and a knife and small revolver stuck in his belt. This fantastic image clearly shows his gold watch chain and fob, neckerchief, bibbed shirt and boots to good advantage.

(New Photo) 
Excellent Boudoir Cabinet of Faux Mountain Man, circa 1880s. Outstanding image of what appears to be a wily mountain man in rough fringed buckskin jacket and pants - unfortunately, his lace-up shoes give him away as a city dweller. Taken in an unknown photographer's studio, the subject sports extreme facial hair, wears a coiled rope hanging from one shoulder, and has two handguns one being a pepper box and a Bowie knife tucked into his belt. Of particular interest is the long gun he holds atop his shoulders, identified on verso as a "7 bol multi-shot rifle." Image measures 4.75" x 7.5" and is affixed to a slightly larger, gilt-edged, black photographer's mount. Image is quite handsome, with strong contrast and excellent focus - suitable for prominent display!

Una mano lava l'altra
Moderating SSS is a "labor of love"
Viet Vet  '68-69
3/12 - 4th Inf Div
Spencer Shooting Society Moderator
Spencer Shooting Society (SSS) #4;
BOSS #62
NRA; GOAL; SAM; NMLRA
Fur Trade Era - Mountain Man
Traditional Archery

Offline Bryan Austin

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 17
Re: "Old West Cowboy" photos, Part 1 (but without Spencers)
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2008, 08:11:32 PM »
nice pics!

SJ
Chasing The 44-40 Website: https://sites.google.com/view/44winchester

Chasing The 44-40 Forum: https://44-40.forumotion.com

Offline Cutter Carl

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2008, 09:56:33 PM »
Really neat pics!

I really like the gunbelt in the first picture.  Interesting buckle arrangement.  You ought to post the first pic in the Leatherworkers Forum.
NCOWS #3053
SASS #79783
Cracker Cow Cavalry - Florida's 1st NCOWS Posse
CCC - Marshall
Eagle Scout 1980

Advertising

Offline panhead pete

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2008, 08:30:43 AM »
Howdy Two Flints,

Very nice pics, thanks for posting them for us.  The first photo is dated ca. 1880's.  In some historic based groups, folks would determine that the cuffs would place him closer to the early 1900's.  I am wondering if cowboy cuffs were earlier than that as most seem to believe. 

Thanks again,

Panhead Pete

Offline Big Matt

• Dirty Rat Warthog
  • Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2008, 02:35:42 PM »
In some historic based groups, folks would determine that the cuffs would place him closer to the early 1900's.  I am wondering if cowboy cuffs were earlier than that as most seem to believe. 

Pete,

Good timing.  I just took a few books out of the library.  One I just finished was: "$10 Horse, $40 Saddle - Cowboy Clothing, Arms, Tools and Horse Gear of the 1880's" by Don Rickey, Jr.

It has a section on cuffs that reads:

"Leather cuffs, to protect the cowboy's forearms in rough brush country and from rope burns seem to have originated in Texas."  It goes on to add that "Cuffs seem to have been widely used up to about 1910, but for some reasons rapidly lost popularity after 1900.  Not all northern range cowboys of the 1880's wore cuffs, but many who had come up from Texas did."

Hope that helps some.

Big Matt
Colorado Ranger
SASS# 66435
SBSS# 2120
Warthog
Rats #388

Offline KCSO

• Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: "Old West Cowboy" photos, Part 1 (but without Spencers) ***Photos Added***
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2008, 12:34:14 PM »
The 7 shot gun also known as a mittreause (sp) was offered as late as 1895 in Monkey Wards catalogs.  The gun was advertised for hunitng wild fowl particualrry swans and was suppose to hold a pattern to 100 yards or more.  Usually chambered for either 22 or 32 rimfire all barrels fired at one pull of the trigger. 

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 407
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2008, 01:01:03 PM »
Whoever captioned these photo's needs to re-examine the firearm identifications.  Several firearms don't match MY understanding of their ID.

The 1883 photo of the three Oklahoma landboomers seems to have an 1886 Winchester rifle in it.  Must be an extremely rare prototype.
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Offline Bryan Austin

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 17
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2008, 04:51:03 PM »
HOW COME NO ONE IN THESE PICTURES IS FAT LIKE ME? :o
Chasing The 44-40 Website: https://sites.google.com/view/44winchester

Chasing The 44-40 Forum: https://44-40.forumotion.com

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 407
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2008, 08:57:51 PM »
I have a postcard featuring an "EARLY TOURIST" by C.S. FLY.  He is corpulant, and armed to the teeth with studio props, including an 1886 rifle.

http://209.85.173.132/search?q=cache:U50R-tQ_VpIJ:www.afternoon-daydreams.com/Cards.html+C.S.+Fly+photo+EARLY+TOURIST&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=2&gl=ca

NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Offline Lightnin Rick

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
second photo down is an 1881 marlin.

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 423
Indeed Sir Charles  ...  the  " eleven Apache Scouts holding percussion Rifles "  ???

They are Springfield carbines in 45/70
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Don Nix

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Interesting to me is the Airzona law mans holster and belt. It is a form of buscadero rig. It apears to have a strap attached rather than a slot through the main belt.

Offline LTC

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2017, 10:56:15 PM »
Really neat pics!

I really like the gunbelt in the first picture.  Interesting buckle arrangement.  You ought to post the first pic in the Leatherworkers Forum.

I believe the belt is a Mills canvas or fabric belt. The buckle with the dog's head is a typical Mills buckle. I have just purchased a Mills shotgun belt of the same vintage with the same buckle.

LTC

Offline levisurfer

• Citizen
  • Liked:
Hey!
Love these old photos showing real authentic and genuine cowboys of the period.
I am intrigues by the use of collared shirts by so many cowboys.  I have been told by numerous people "in the know" that collards did not come in on shirts till late that century.  These images tend to suffuse otherwise.
I am a keen serious amateur photographer and filmmaker from the UK and love to film westerns in Arizona.  WE tend to aim for the 1880s as that gives us options to use older Civil War weapons as well as the 1873 Colt and Winchester.  Plus it gives us more latitude when it comes to gearing the cowboys up in genuine wardrobe, boots and weapons.

Can anyone give us some honest and authoritative advice on the wardrobe of that period.  Our next film will be set in southern AZ in or around 1880s and we will have a Doctor, Sheriff, lawmen and 5 outlaws.  The outlaws will be mainly 20s - 30s with one older outlaw in his 50s. 
What about facial hair?  I see moustaches were popular.  But what about beards, full beards, short beards, stubble, 5 o'clock shadows?
Any advice would be great appreciated and any more photographs to help us "style our cowboys would be great. 
My email address is paulv@paulv.co.uk
And if you would like to see the trailer to my last 60 minute western just let me know.
Thanks
Paul

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 638
Oh, yes, we would most certainly like to see the trailer.

CC Griff
Manager, WT Ranch--Coal Creek Division

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
1860 Henry Rifle Shooter #173
SSS #573

Offline treebeard

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 16
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2017, 01:05:52 PM »
Really neat pics!

I also like this gunbelt and think that it might be canvas instead of leather. I have acquired a couple canvas belts and find them cooler and lighter to wear. I read someplace they were popular in the southwest.

Offline levisurfer

• Citizen
  • Liked:
By REQUEST

Here is the trailer to VERMIJO

Offline treebeard

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Enjoyed the pictures Two Flints and looking forward to part two.

Offline Two Flints

• Spencer Shooting Society Founder & Moderator
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Moderating SSS IS a "Labor of Love"!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2

Una mano lava l'altra
Moderating SSS is a "labor of love"
Viet Vet  '68-69
3/12 - 4th Inf Div
Spencer Shooting Society Moderator
Spencer Shooting Society (SSS) #4;
BOSS #62
NRA; GOAL; SAM; NMLRA
Fur Trade Era - Mountain Man
Traditional Archery

Offline treebeard

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Treebeard,

Have you seen these?

http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php/topic,20388.0.html

http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php/topic,20490.msg260649.html#msg260649

Two Flints---Thanks for pointing those pictures out to me. They were before I had started following this great forum.
There is a lot to learn from these pictures besides being just plain fun to look at. I started being interested in the canvas belts when
i saw that John Clum used them for his Colt SAA. Out fit was pictured in a book I do not now recall the title.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com