Author Topic: Schofield Miss fires  (Read 6971 times)

Offline The Swede

• Top Active Citizen
    • Lars Olsson Photography
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Schofield Miss fires
« on: February 12, 2014, 03:03:51 PM »
Hi everyone, I have a miss fire problem with my Schofield. It only miss fires one round out of 5 for each cylinder load fired. It just cropped up at a shoot I was at. The primers on the fired cases are well struck with not even a small dent on the miss fires.  ???
I haven't checked headspace yet, and will do that today. Anyone have any ideas?  ???

Swede

Offline Silver_Rings

• Top Active Citizen
  • Gunfighter who shoots for fun.
  • Liked:
Re: Schofield Miss fires
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2014, 06:18:34 PM »
Howdy Swede,

Check to make sure the cylinder is rotating all the way around.  I've had high primers keep the cylinder from rotating when cocking the pistol.  I also have one schofield that does not advance one chamber, probably the hand is not engaging the star.

Silver Rings 
Gunfighter, SASS 27466, NRA Life, GOFWG, BOSS, RO 1, RO 2

Offline rdstrain49

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2014, 06:33:39 PM »
First thing to check is weight of hammer fall.  You need at least 3 lbs. of hammer fall for reliable ignition.  You can use a trigger pull weight set to measure this.
BTW, the indentation in the primer you are referring to is meaningless.  The "well struck" cases are simply reflecting the result of the cartridge firing and subsequent recoil against the firing pin and has nothing to do with how hard the primer was struck. 
I have to wonder how much the mainspring tension has been reduced.  If this problem just showed up, it is more likely a spring issue than a headspace issue.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:52:43 PM »

Offline The Swede

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2014, 07:37:41 PM »
Howdy Swede,

Check to make sure the cylinder is rotating all the way around.  I've had high primers keep the cylinder from rotating when cocking the pistol.  I also have one schofield that does not advance one chamber, probably the hand is not engaging the star.

Silver Rings 
In this case high primers were not the culprit. But they were in the past.

Swede

Offline The Swede

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2014, 07:47:43 PM »
First thing to check is weight of hammer fall.  You need at least 3 lbs. of hammer fall for reliable ignition.  You can use a trigger pull weight set to measure this.
BTW, the indentation in the primer you are referring to is meaningless.  The "well struck" cases are simply reflecting the result of the cartridge firing and subsequent recoil against the firing pin and has nothing to do with how hard the primer was struck. 
I have to wonder how much the mainspring tension has been reduced.  If this problem just showed up, it is more likely a spring issue than a headspace issue.
I checked the headspace anyway, and it is very well within tolerances. The firing pin protrusion may be partly to blame. I checked in David Chicoine's book "Gunsmithing Guns of the Old West", and he says that Uberti firing pins should protrude 0.050" to 0.055". Mine protrudes 0.042". I have tightened the main spring tension screw, and I hope that helps a bit. I figure I'll use the softer Federal primers as well on my .45 Colt loads.
Still... why only one round out of five? If it is the spring as you have said could it work with some rounds, and not with others? Is that your experience? ???

Thanks for the input BTW. It helps to get others involved when you have a problem. :)

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2014, 08:08:26 PM »
The Ubertis have a Mickey Mouse hammer block as part of a safety to be able to import it into the U.S.  Fairly unreliable.  You best bet is to remove the side plate and remove it.  The gun will then function just like an original.

Offline rdstrain49

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2014, 08:09:38 PM »
Headspace same on all 6?
How much space between base of case and recoil plate?
Re. "Why only one"  simple, Gremlins.  They are everywhere in weapons systems.

Offline The Swede

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2014, 10:08:57 PM »
The Ubertis have a Mickey Mouse hammer block as part of a safety to be able to import it into the U.S.  Fairly unreliable.  You best bet is to remove the side plate and remove it.  The gun will then function just like an original.

Already done, but thank you for mentioning it.  :)

Swede

Offline The Swede

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2014, 10:10:19 PM »
Headspace same on all 6?
How much space between base of case and recoil plate?
Re. "Why only one"  simple, Gremlins.  They are everywhere in weapons systems.

Good point. I only checked one chamber...  :-[

Swede

Offline Pitspitr

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • 308 214-0082 45551 Rd 816, Sargent NE 68874 USA
    • Grand Army of the Frontier
  • SASS #: 74523
  • NCOWS #: L187
  • GAF #: 147
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2014, 06:12:11 AM »
I ran into that problem with mine last fall. I thought it was an ammunition problem and ignored it. Eventually it got to where none of the cylinders would fire. Try tightening up the set screw on the front of the grip frame that adjusts the mainspring tension.
I remain, Your Ob'd Servant,
Jerry M. "Pitspitr" Davenport
(Bvt.)Brigadier General Commanding,
Grand Army of the Frontier
BC/IT, Expert, Sharpshooter, Marksman, CC, SoM
NRA CRSO, RVWA IIT2; SASS ROI, ROII;
NRA Benefactor Life; AZSA Life; NCOWS Life

Offline The Swede

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2014, 03:46:43 PM »
I ran into that problem with mine last fall. I thought it was an ammunition problem and ignored it. Eventually it got to where none of the cylinders would fire. Try tightening up the set screw on the front of the grip frame that adjusts the mainspring tension.

I had that thought myself, and did just that. I will have to wait till I have time to head out to the range to try it. I will also be using Federal primers (softer), as that has worked for me before. I have some shooting' buddies who would have given up by now, but I love the challenge. This revolver is one of my main match guns( the other is a '75 Remington), and it worked flawlessly for the SASS Canadian Nationals ( where I placed in the top 3 in my category).

Swede

Offline Virginia Gentleman

• Top Active Citizen
  • Here's a McRib for Allah
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 24
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2014, 03:11:58 PM »
Let us know if that was the problem as we might gain some insight into diagnosing future problems with Schofields.

Offline The Swede

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2014, 11:28:39 PM »
Let us know if that was the problem as we might gain some insight into diagnosing future problems with Schofields.

I will definitely do that. I plan on getting to the range in the next week, or so.

Swede

Offline The Swede

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2014, 12:42:55 AM »
Well... I figured it out. It turns out the cylinder was under rotating from time to time. Not enough force on the hammer when cocking the gun. It misfired today, and I saw that it was not lined up. The timing seems to be okay. I figure not enough force. The cylinder loads I shot after that discovery were all good. Arthritis may be part of my issue (aging is not fun  :'(). So, hammer spring too stiff?

I have a shoot tomorrow, and decided to shoot my cap & ball revolvers for that instead.

Swede

Offline matt45

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 13
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2014, 02:16:40 PM »
If I am understanding you correctly, it is always the same bore in the cylinder that misfires?

Offline The Swede

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2014, 12:09:45 AM »
No, it was under rotating. If I work the hammer with reasonable effort all is good. I am not sure if it is my arthritis, or a timing issue?

If I shoot with both hands ( I shoot duelist ), and cock with my left hand ( right handed ) there is no problem at all. Now in retrospect it could be the same chamber each time, but I did not take the time to check. We were at the range getting my wife ready for her first match.

Swede

Offline Silver_Rings

• Top Active Citizen
  • Gunfighter who shoots for fun.
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2014, 06:31:40 PM »
Swede,

I have a  pistol that on one chamber does not rotate all the time.  On my pistol it is easy to see, just dry fire the pistol and watch to see if the cylinder turns each time the hammer is cocked.

Silver Rings
Gunfighter, SASS 27466, NRA Life, GOFWG, BOSS, RO 1, RO 2

Offline The Swede

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2014, 10:45:05 PM »
Swede,

I have a  pistol that on one chamber does not rotate all the time.  On my pistol it is easy to see, just dry fire the pistol and watch to see if the cylinder turns each time the hammer is cocked.

Silver Rings
I'll try that. Let you know how I make out.

Swede

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com