Author Topic: Question about white trousers (1870's Cavarly question)  (Read 1956 times)

Offline sharps54

• Top Active Citizen
  • Alias Mild Myles
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Question about white trousers (1870's Cavarly question)
« on: May 18, 2007, 05:47:31 PM »
I have seen various references to white trousers being authorized in 1871 for troops south of D.C. on summer campaigns. Is there anyone making a copy of these for sale? I have some civilian white trousers I will use if I can't find the correct ones. Does anyone know how many suspender buttons these would have had? The sources I have found didn't go into detail , I guess they may have been whatever the local sutlers sold the troops, kind of like the straw hats that were used. I am working on putting together a summer field uniform for a 4th Cavalry Quartmaster SGT under Mackenzie.

Thanks,
Mild Myles

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
Re: Question about white trousers (1870's Cavarly question)
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2007, 06:18:18 PM »
The only references I can find dealing with the trousers are those of 1872, when the Army introduced white, un-trimmed trousers for wear in hot climates during the summer - though extent of use varied over time.

These were worn up to the 1890s.

The Army generally didn't describe enlisted work uniforms in Regulations, because fatigue or work uniforms were: (1)  issued to the men, (2) were well known to Army members, and (3) the manner in which the uniforms were worn was not of much concern to Officers.

The general practice of little or no information continued until after WWII, when Uniform Regulations became more voluminous, and the fatigue uniform became worn more in public, and thus the uniforms' appearance became a point of interest for Commanders.

Now if you want to know more about the Khaki/Tan stable frocks and such - that's a different topic, and I have information on that uniform as well.

That was a light brown canvas uniform - often made from salvaged shelter halves - and canvas can get somewhat warm...

Vaya,

Scouts Out!

"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Offline Books OToole

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Michael Tatham
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 91
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2007, 06:26:44 PM »
...and according to Stephen J. Allie, curator of the Frontier Army Museum at Fort Leavenworth,  the "whites" were not issued to mounted troops. 

They get nasty in a hurry.

Michael "Books" Tatham
Capt. 5th Kansas Battery
Acting Arty. commander Dept. of Missouri
G.I.L.S.

K.V.C.
N.C.O.W.S. 2279 - Senator
Hiram's Rangers C-3
G.A.F. 415
S.F.T.A.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:04:14 PM »

Offline sharps54

• Top Active Citizen
  • Alias Mild Myles
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2007, 07:08:37 PM »
OK, thanks. I am going off these sources:
Emerson, William K., Encyclopedia of United States Army Insignia and Uniforms. Pg. 456.  “From the 1870s through the 1890s the army reintroduced untrimmed, white trousers for both officers and enlisted men to wear in hot climates during the summer, though the extent of use varied over time.”

Urwin, Gregory, J.W. The Unites States Cavalry An Illustrated History. Pgs. 142-143. “The Secretary of War authorized troops in the Department of Texas to wear white trousers and straw hats during the hot summer months – a privilege granted to all garrisons south of Washington, D.C., before the year was out.” On Plate 24: 1871-8, pg. 143 it shows drawings of a 1871 CPL and a 1873 PVT wearing the white trousers.

That said I have faith that Stephen J. Allie knows about which he speaks! I'll have to buy the blue mounted trousers at some point anyhow. I have found plenty of drawings but not so many photos from the early post war period, from what you have seen does this seem to be representive of the straw hats sutlers were selling?
http://www.riverjunction.com/catalog/hats/4halfinstraw.html 
It looks close to the drawings but they show the white pants as well!
Thanks,
Mild Myles

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com