Author Topic: Whatever Happened to...?  (Read 5930 times)

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
Re: Whatever Happened to...?
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2021, 06:49:54 PM »
Well I suppose there is always Standards version of the Zip
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline hatman

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2021, 09:15:42 PM »
FWIW, I ordered a 7 1/2" with one piece grips on 12/31 and it shipped to my FFL on 1/31.  It's beautiful; no regrets.
I wrote to them last week how much I loved it and if they ever make a 44-40 I'll take one in 5 1/2".  (I read on other forums where they will make a 44-40 but you have to ask.)
So far, no response.

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1180
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2021, 10:44:58 PM »
hatman, I haven't seen a 7 1/2" Standard.  Got any pics?

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 03:18:11 AM »

Offline hatman

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2021, 09:46:21 AM »
hatman, I haven't seen a 7 1/2" Standard.  Got any pics?

I'll try to get a picture or two, but in the meantime the one in this video is pretty much a spittin' image:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4fQ_I0Qzjw&t=807s

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2021, 06:31:53 PM »
Remember the STI Single Action?  Better than a Colt.  USFA, better than a Colt.  Standard, better than a Colt.  My dad use to tell me if everyone is comparing their product to another product, buy the other product.  There is virtually no market for high end single action revolvers.  Colt has only one thing going for it - the name.  The Standard, STI and even USFA don't/didn't have that essential ingredient.  Colt's annual production of single actions is so low it is not an economically viable product.  It will be intersting to see if the new owner of Colt produces any single actions.  I sure hope so.

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2021, 07:17:29 PM »
So do I, I fear not though.... :(

when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1180
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2021, 10:52:33 PM »
I'll try to get a picture or two, but in the meantime the one in this video is pretty much a spittin' image:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4fQ_I0Qzjw&t=807s

Oh yeah, I've seen that OD#3 video before, that was a good one.  I forgot that they were 7 1/2" guns.

As for STI, I wonder how many of those they actually made?

Offline Marshall Matt Dillon

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2021, 07:33:31 PM »
I bought one a couple months ago. Beautiful gun! I decided to get a pair for when i felt the itch to shoot 45 colt in sass, so i ordered another last week or so. I was told it would be 10 weeks. It is here at gun shop today, in eight days. I have not seen it yet, but hope it equals the first one in looks. I am wondering about the longevity of the shiny sprayed on finish.

We will see if they shoot straight.

Offline M McCracken

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2021, 08:48:01 PM »
I bought one a couple months ago. Beautiful gun! I decided to get a pair for when i felt the itch to shoot 45 colt in sass, so i ordered another last week or so. I was told it would be 10 weeks. It is here at gun shop today, in eight days. I have not seen it yet, but hope it equals the first one in looks. I am wondering about the longevity of the shiny sprayed on finish.

We will see if they shoot straight.

Matt, what configuration is the new one? I'd be curious to know which ones they may have ready to ship. Coincidentally, I picked one up today, purchased from a dealer. It's a case colored blued 4.75 with two piece grips. The case coloring is not as nice as my USFAs, but it'll do I suppose. The nitre blue accents are a plus. Really like that feature.

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2021, 03:14:46 AM »
Matt, what configuration is the new one? I'd be curious to know which ones they may have ready to ship. Coincidentally, I picked one up today, purchased from a dealer. It's a case colored blued 4.75 with two piece grips. The case coloring is not as nice as my USFAs, but it'll do I suppose. The nitre blue accents are a plus. Really like that feature.

It is the standard blue, case colored, 2 pc grip. I did order 5.5 length. When we ordered they told us 10 weeks. Maybe someone else canceled their order, or the person taking the order did not know what they talked about. My ffl was surprised too. He was told there were none in stock when he ordered, and got a short speech about “these are custom made” and not on the shelf.  I hope to get time to go get it today.

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2021, 11:21:05 AM »
I did not know they make a 38 special. If i knew that, i would have ordered one instead of another 45 colt.

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2021, 02:07:51 PM »
Well, i talked to Standard about the 38 spec. It was a short run a few months ago, which was sold out. They have no plans to do it again. I was under the impression they were producing the guns as they appeared in the latest bluebook along with the 45 colt guns.

Here is todays purchase. It has mostly brown in the case colors. Very odd looking in the pics but looks really good in person.

My other one is mostly blue colors with little browns. Why the difference?

Offline Buckaroo Lou

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 93
« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2021, 08:16:13 PM »
Marshall Matt Gillion, according to your photos it looks like they are no longer doing the screws and ejector rod lever in nitre blue.
A man's true measure is found not in what he says but in what he does.

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2021, 08:49:17 PM »
Quote from: Buckaroo Lou link=topic=65115.msg772649#msg772649 date=161v6202973
Marshall Matt Gillion, according to your photos it looks like they are no longer doing the screws and ejector rod lever in nitre blue.

I think that is my lack of camera skills, which also accounts for the case color weirdness. The screws are pretty blue along with the rod.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #34 on: March 20, 2021, 09:59:54 AM »

:)  PLUS ONE for Pettifogger   ;)

Offline OD#3

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: March 28, 2021, 12:42:27 PM »
Remember how USFA tried their hand at reproducing more than just SAA's?  I had one of their Lightning Rifles, and it remains the most exquisitely machined firearm I ever had the pleasure of owning.  Unfortunately, they copied the original too closely without a proper understanding of how to make them run properly--especially when chambered in anything but .44-40.  Mine was in .45 Colt and, though I suspected that it was the shape of the ejectors that were causing its issues, I couldn't bear to take stones and files to it.  Regardless, its subsequent sale is one of those I remember with remorse. 

Then USFA came out with their "1910" model, which was a bit of a fantasy piece in that it utilized a hammer shape Colt had abandoned well before the 1911 debuted.  I wanted one, nevertheless, and that hammer even appealed to me, evoking the earlier Colt pistols. 

Then there were their very, very few percussion revolvers (finished Uberti parts, I know), and their 1875 Remington that never got off the ground.  It is very hard to make a success of reproducing old-world firearms if one does it using all machined parts and American labor.  I don't blame Doug Donnelly for quitting when he did, though I never did understand the completely antithetical ZIP .22. 

I don't know if Standard's SA revolver will ever be a long-term success.  The Italians' use of castings, cyanide case colors, and lower-cost labor makes it just too hard to compete, especially since the Italian clones actually look good and work well.  And the relatively rare (but documented) poor examples of quality and customer service from Standard certainly don't bode well. 

But back to my original paragraph.  Remember when USFA's apparent goal went from just selling finely-fit and finished Uberti parts to manufacturing their own copies of, not just the SAA, but other discontinued Colt firearms as well?  Checking email today, I noticed this from Standard.    https://stdgun.com/22-semi-automatic-pistol-royal-blue/?utm_source=Standard+Mfg.+Co.+Newsletter&utm_campaign=3f3fb02110-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2021_03_26_07_59&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_8f9ecb6acc-3f3fb02110-198648085&mc_cid=3f3fb02110&mc_eid=41562ab945

I don't know how folks will take to a $900 Colt Woodsman copy, but I have to admit that it appeals to me to have someone bring back an old-school all-machined Woodsman.  Much more appealing than the Beretta Neos.  If anything, I hope they make a lot of magazines. 

Offline OD#3

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: March 30, 2021, 04:06:27 PM »
Well, scrap the excitement over magazine availability.  I just noticed that their version will have a 1911-style mag release.  Too bad....

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #37 on: April 01, 2021, 05:00:47 PM »
" The Italians' use of castings, cyanide case colors, and lower-cost labor makes it just too hard to compete."

Actually Uberti forges their frame.  Once you get past the goofy toy gun at the beginning the first operation is forging the frame.  Colt outsources their frames so I am no longer sure whether they are cast or forged.

Offline OD#3

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: April 01, 2021, 05:10:52 PM »
Yes, I know Uberti forges their frames, but their hammers, gripframe, loading gate, and (I think) lockwork are cast.  Much cheaper way to make them.  Incidentally, however, Uberti frames are probably stronger than the USFA's were and Standard's are, due to Uberti forging theirs.  USFA and Standard have frames milled out of barstock.   

Offline yahoody

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 29
« Reply #39 on: April 01, 2021, 05:27:04 PM »
If you were aware they were forged frames why would you write and imply other wise?  Cyanide case colors?    Actually it is cyanide salts bath used to actually case harden. It is not just case colors as you  also imply.  Three different metal processes mentioned here, forged, case hardening and MIM that by you comments you don't seem to fully understanding.

" The Italians' use of castings, cyanide case colors, and lower-cost labor makes it just too hard to compete."

Less expensive yes.  But forged none the less. Cast?  Most of the internals now are MIM.  So cast but not like cast 20 years ago.  I don't get the diss there.  MIM has been well proven in the 1911s now for over 20 years.  Much to do about nothing.  As I sure don't need a bar stock loading gate. 

The Italians build a better gun in many ways where it actually counts than Colt does if you want to shoot them.

$500  reliable gun or a $2000 over priced one?  The $2000 gun likely won't shoot any where close to what the clones in any version,  are capable of and most of those are built off Uberti specs

"time leaves tombstones or dry bones"  SASS #2903

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com