Author Topic: Kerosine in lanterns  (Read 9160 times)

44caliberkid

Kerosine in lanterns
« on: November 10, 2005, 06:36:14 AM »
I have an antique railroad inspectors lantern, that is made like most lanterns, an adjustable wick coming out of a fuel resevour. Will kerosine work in lanterns safely, or do you need to use the lamp oil that they sell at Walmart, etc.  What's the differance, if any, between kerosine lanterns and oil lanterns?

Offline Kayleen

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Kerosine in lanterns
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2005, 07:18:30 AM »
  Here on the range we have used both kerosene and lamp oil.Lamp oil is sometimes scented with citronela. Keeping the wick adjusted  helps keep the glass from sooting up. The light that lanterns give off is very warm and I love lighting up Widow Barlows with lamps. lanterns, and candles.
Kayleen

Offline Trap

• NCOWS
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • John Torrence
  • NCOWS #: 851
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2005, 09:10:21 AM »
  Krerosine will work fine. I even use the type that has dye in it with no problems.   jt
Aggressive fighting for the Right is the noblest sport the world affords. T. Roosevelt
NRA Patron/Life Member
  NCOWS #851, Senator
Proud Member of the KVC
 Hiram's Rangers, founder
GAF # 328
  TAPS #26
NAOOTB #688

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:57:56 PM »

Offline Grizzle Bear

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2005, 09:21:48 AM »
Kerosene will work fine.  Good quality lamp oil will burn brighter, plus it doesn't smell like an 18 wheeler just went by!

Grizzle Bear

Rob Brannon
General troublemaker and instigator
NCOWS Senator
NCOWS #357
http://www.ncows.org/KVC.htm
"I hereby swear and attest that I am willing to fight four wild Comanches at arm's length with the ammunition I am shooting in today's match."

Online Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2005, 09:54:45 AM »
Even olive oil will work and even though it's a bit expensive fer that you can use it on yer salad also.  ;D It's harder to keep the soot offthe chimineys too.

But it's biblicaly correct.

Give me oil in my lamp,
Keep it burnin' burnin, burnin'
Give me oil in my lamp I pray.
Hallelujah.

Yep they was talkin' bout Olive Oil.
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Derby Younger

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2005, 10:04:03 AM »
Kerosene will work fine.  Good quality lamp oil will burn brighter, plus it doesn't smell like an 18 wheeler just went by!

Grizzle Bear

More like an old airport.  ;D

Offline Books OToole

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Michael Tatham
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 91
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2005, 10:28:09 AM »
A few months back I was at a neat tavern in Weston, Mo.  They had about a dozen trestle tables and one or more oil lamps going on each.  One of the other patons asked the waitress what they used in the lamps to keep them from smoking.  She said "Kerosine."

Books
G.I.L.S.

K.V.C.
N.C.O.W.S. 2279 - Senator
Hiram's Rangers C-3
G.A.F. 415
S.F.T.A.

Offline Ol Gabe

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2005, 10:35:17 AM »
For many, many years out in the barns on the old family farm, the folks used Kerosene in Hurricane/RR-style lanterns and White Gas in Coleman-style pump-up lanterns with the mesh wicks. Through the process of getting the wrong fluid in the wrong lantern (Ooopppsie!), they ended up one cold winter evening with no flame in one and a brilliant light in the other. Now, being the inquisitive types they were and always interested in saving a nickel, they turned the error into a 'win-win' solution and started using White Gas in all the Hurricane lanterns instead of Kerosene.
The White Gas in the Hurricane lanterns gave off a solid flame and the glass didn't need to be cleaned as often, it just burned brighter and stayed cleaner longer.
Soooo, after that, White Gas was the chosen fluid. With the advent of electric lights on the farm, they didn't need to store gallons of White Gas anymore and only bought smaller cans sold as 'Charcoal Lighter Fluid'. Due to changes in refining, the flame from this 'new' fluid was even more brighter than with White Gas! The rest was history.
Over the past 30 odd years I have only used Charcoal Lighter Fluid in all my lanterns with continued success, cheap fluid burns as bright as the expensive kind and wicks last years longer as well. In addition, it is a safer fluid to use, if it inadvertantly gets spilled on something, it dissipates faster than an oil-based fluid or Kerosene. Scented oils are nice for Bug lights but are sometimes irritating to the skin and some people are sensitive to the frangrances used in the oil-based fluids.
From a safety standpoint, Charcoal Lighter Fluid is the best route to go as it is not scented and easily washes off your skin with a Wet Wipe, a wet paper towel or soap and water, if spilled on your clothing a simple warm or cold water spotting will generally suffice.
Lighting is also faster with a match or other form of lighter as the viscosity is such that it ignites at a much faster rate than other fluids, thusly ading another form of safety in that you are less likey to burn yourself with a match while trying to light a stubborn wick in the wind.
I encourage all that have a lantern of this type to consider the above info and safety factors and enjoy a safe evening of warm and bright light whilst enjoying your favorite hobby!
Best regards and good filling!
'Ol Gabe

Derby Younger

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2005, 11:01:35 AM »
Charcoal Lighter Fluid

Gabe: Did not know that. Great info. Many thanks.

Offline Books OToole

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Michael Tatham
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 91
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2005, 11:05:11 AM »
Gabe;

That was very enlightening.  I have be experimenting with a "Perfection Oil Heater."  These are the old cylindrical parlor heaters and date to the 1890s.  I am using kerosine and keeping in going without smoking has been a challenge.  Do you reckon that "white gas" would be safe in such a contraption?

Books
G.I.L.S.

K.V.C.
N.C.O.W.S. 2279 - Senator
Hiram's Rangers C-3
G.A.F. 415
S.F.T.A.

Offline Silver Creek Slim

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 2329
  • GAF #: 144
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 110
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2005, 11:12:42 AM »
Charcoal Lighter Fluid

Gabe: Did not know that. Great info. Many thanks.
Here, here.

I'll have to try it sometime after I use up the 50 gals of paraffin oil I have in the shed.  ::)

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

Online Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2005, 02:13:18 PM »
I never thought of using charcoal lighter fluid, the cans are also hady in size and have a good lid to keep from spillage.  Nothin' worse than having yer coal oil spill and havin' the lanterns run dry.  Been there, done that. ;D

The time it happened though we lucked out, it was at an antique farm machinery show.  I just wrapped a bunch of homemade bread in a clean dish towel and headed to the first "Oil Pull Rumley" tractor we seen.  Two full lanterns and a "if you need more just hollor." ;D  So what if they are 20th century folks, they're just like us.
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

44caliberkid

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2005, 04:34:16 PM »
Thanks for all the rapid replys.  You gents are first rate.  (You too, Kayleen)  Books, I'd try the lighter fluid in your heater outside first.  I have kerosine, lighter fluid, and Coleman fuel, guess I'll just experiment now that I know I won't blow myself up.

Offline Will Ketchum

• Chief of Detectives
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Pete Ersland
  • SASS #: 4222
  • NCOWS #: 133
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2005, 07:06:34 PM »
Gabe, I always thought "white gas" was unleaded gasoline.  I know when I used Coleman fluid years ago to start a fire it flashed just like gasoline.  It certainly isn't like charcoal lighter, which I think is a more refined version of kerosine.

Books I wouldn't use white gas in the stove but perhaps charcoal lighter would be okay.

Will Ketchum
Will Ketchum's Rules of W&CAS: 1 Be Safe. 2 Have Fun. 3  Look Good Doin It!
F&AM, NRA Endowment Life, SASS Life 4222, NCOWS Life 133.  USMC for ever.
Madison, WI

Online Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2005, 07:15:48 PM »
From what dad and grandpa have told me, the white gas of the 20's and 30's was less volital (sp) than modern unleaded fuel or even Colman fuel.  The lead and the higher octanes came in because the engines with over 4.5 or so to 1 compression needed them. 

If colman fuel was safe in Book's stove I don't know.  There was also something called tractor fuel.

Pehaps it's time for me to go inerveiw dad.
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Ol Gabe

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2005, 10:44:45 AM »
All,
Yep, 'White Gas' in the old days was a different blend, don't know the specifics but I think Del's comments are close to fact, I'm guessing when he interviews his Paternasters that he'll get the real skinny. Better yet, track down the guys with the Oil Pull Rumley, they'll know for sure!
What little I have ever heard about early fuels was that they were not all the same even though they were called the same, i.e., Tractor Fuel as Ketchum mentioned was NOT the same type of fuel you could burn in a car engine, Diesel fuel would not be the same for a truck as for a caterpillar, airplane gas was different than the stuff you would put in the Ford and what you put in the Ford wouldn't even begin to power the Fordson Tractor!
At some point in time the powers that be got together and came up with power ratings and started to market the same classes of fuel, engines improved and were modified to burn the same, etc. Funny how the Diesel engine when originally designed would run on almost anything before it was reset to run on what we now call 'Diesel' fuel. Recently, researchers have even gotten the old style of Diesel engine to run on pure Coconut oil derived from crushed and pressed dried Coconut meats. Sort of puts a whole new aspect on eating Macaroons!
Books, I'm not suggesting that Charcoal Fluid would burn in that type of heater, best try it outside away from everything, like out near the range...with a looooooooooooooong match!
Best regards and good lighting!
'Ol Gabe

Offline Lone Gunman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • The Lone Gunman ...as himself
    • Lone-Gunman.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2005, 11:56:28 AM »
1)
I have very bad luck with original items in the field

2)
I have be experimenting with a "Perfection Oil Heater."  These are the old cylindrical parlor heaters and date to the 1890s. Do you reckon that "white gas" would be safe in such a contraption?

3) Refer to Item #1 above  ;D
George "Lone Gunman" Warnick

"...A man of notoriously vicious & intemperate disposition"

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com