Author Topic: .45-70 Ammo Crate  (Read 1199 times)

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 636
Re: .45-70 Ammo Crate
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2023, 11:03:39 AM »
Harkening back to my Olympia Brewing Co. Beer Crate, It is with sadness I remember many fine "tours" through the Brewery.  Alas, Olympia is no more and I do so miss the Artesians whom brewed that golden elixir.  Oh Well.

I live not too far away from the old Olympia breweries (located oddly enough in Olympia, Washington). There is the original brick brewery and the "new" brewery -- both long closed down. On moonlit nights, though, if you're reeeaaaly quiet, you can still see the Artesians wandering around the grounds in small groups.  Sometimes they're near the old artesian wells where the water came from ("It's the water and a lot more.") They're reminiscing about the old days and wishing that the breweries would open back up.  "I seen 'em!"
Manager, WT Ranch--Coal Creek Division

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
1860 Henry Rifle Shooter #173
SSS #573

Offline LongWalker

• Top Active Citizen
  • GAF #: 911
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2023, 11:20:14 PM »
Played around a bit in the shop today (after no real shop for 2 years!).  Best guess it would take a Saturday to work out details and make the first such ammo crate.  Sunday could be spent making 20 more, since the jigs etc would be done.  If anyone actually makes one, they might want to make several.  (I can see it now at the muster: someone sitting at the rifle line surrounded by crates of ammo.

I'm curious how the stocks of spare ammo were carried by troops on the march.  Each guy was issued a quantity, but (especially after the LBH) was extra ammo carried in the wagons/pack saddles, and how was it packed?
In my book a pioneer is a man who turned all the grass upside down, strung bob-wire over the dust that was left, poisoned the water, cut down the trees, killed the Indian who owned the land and called it progress.  Charles M. Russell

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2024, 10:18:11 AM »

:) Long Walker  ;)

The Answer is (D) All of the Above.  Troops were, and still are, issued an initial "combat load."  Usually 60 to 100 rounds.  With the advent of Magazine fed guns, most troops started the day with all they could carry.  A unit on the move also had one or more supply wagons with necessities and ammo.  In rough county operations a unit would also have several pack mules, one of which was loaded with ammo.

In south East Asia, the initial issue was Three 20 or 30 round Magazines plus One in the Rifle.  Most of us also scrounged up several "extra" magazine pouches and hauled all we could carry.  One can never have "too much" ammo.  My experience was not however, absolute.  Lots of different units.  Also, I moved to Door Gunner and found happiness is a Belt Fed Weapon you betcha.

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 12:56:00 AM »

Offline Books OToole

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Michael Tatham
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 91
« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2024, 10:19:25 AM »
Dont forget to build with finger joints, and add the appropriate amount of wood at the ends to accomodate that….

I cannot recall what famous battle involved guys unable to open ammunition crates because they were screwed down And only one supply seargent had the only screwdriver…..

Isandlwana.

Books
G.I.L.S.

K.V.C.
N.C.O.W.S. 2279 - Senator
Hiram's Rangers C-3
G.A.F. 415
S.F.T.A.

Offline Pitspitr

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • 308 214-0082 45551 Rd 816, Sargent NE 68874 USA
    • Grand Army of the Frontier
  • SASS #: 74523
  • NCOWS #: L187
  • GAF #: 147
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2024, 02:53:31 PM »
My Striker's wife could probably cut us a stencil
I remain, Your Ob'd Servant,
Jerry M. "Pitspitr" Davenport
(Bvt.)Brigadier General Commanding,
Grand Army of the Frontier
BC/IT, Expert, Sharpshooter, Marksman, CC, SoM
NRA CRSO, RVWA IIT2; SASS ROI, ROII;
NRA Benefactor Life; AZSA Life; NCOWS Life

Offline DeaconKC

• Retired Predator Hunter
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 110215
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4919
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2024, 07:34:22 PM »
Find someone with one of the Cricut machines that can make stencils. Ask at a Hobby Lobby, those machines are quite neat.
SASS DeaconKC
The Deacon AZSA
BOLD 1088
RATS 739
STORM 448
Driver for Howard, Fine & Howard
Veterinary & Taxidermy Clinic
"Either way, you get your dog back"

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 422
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2024, 09:11:08 PM »
We had one at my former job20. I might be able to use it by going in to visit.
I did make a set from somebody on here, several years ago.
when planets align...do the deal !

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com