Author Topic: A new "niche".  (Read 2695 times)

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
A new "niche".
« on: October 02, 2022, 08:46:26 AM »
John Saffran just drew up a stage for 22 Cal.  CAP "Cowboy Action Plinking" :)  I coined the name  ;D

I had advocated for a 22 Cal. NCOWS class during the pandemic, as reloading supplies were unobtanium, less you spent a kidney: :) and even then, tough to find.
The general consciences were negative, but in the aftermath, I still think the idea has merit.

22 Gallery shooting was all the rage in the 1890-1920's every carnival, circus and boardwalk had one.
Disney World had 3 in the 1980's.
Sadly, they were replaced with electronic shooting gallery's and now due to politics and political correctness and liabilities they are history.

when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
Re: A new nitch
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2022, 09:46:19 AM »

:)  All Righty Dighty Now  ;)

What a grand idea and what a shame.  I think "Cowboy Action Plinking" is a great idea and could very well have a place.  It would fall under the umbrella of FUN!!

Sadly, I do remember as a Child (yes, I really was a Child once), attending the local county fairs, and even the Ringling Bros - Barnum and Bailey Circus (came to town on the TRAIN!!).  In all of those venues, the Midway had at least one Shooting Gallery, usually two or three.  Gallery pump rifles and impossible targets (push backs) yet quite FUN!!  I waisted countless 50cent pieces trying to win that Nickel Plate Coach Gun.  Sad, really sad to see the shooting galleries go away.  Boo Hiss

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2022, 11:41:23 AM »
:)  All Righty Dighty Now  ;)

Sadly, I do remember as a Child (yes, I really was a Child once)

Who was in the White House ? .... Wilson ?   ;D

It was Truman for me  :o 

I think CAP could be a thing.

Advertising

Re: A new "niche".
« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:46:34 AM »

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2022, 11:57:06 AM »
There is the thing....

Rifles . Levers, Bolts or Pump 22 Cal. short, long or long Rifle ... NO Semi-auto or 22mag.

Revolvers - Single or Double action (shot as a single action) ... NO Semi- auto or magazine fed...NO 22mag (however Revolvers with duel Cyl. 22 -22 Mag may be used in 22 S L or LR only)
 I:E
Ruger Single Six, Heritage Arms, Diamondback, Chiappa etc.

Recommended no High Valicity 22 ammo

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 463
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2022, 11:59:39 AM »
Fun idea. Blue River Regulators already has something similar on the local Posse level.

I think that was the main gist, - NCOWS is already top heavy in official shooting categories, there has been a reluctance to pile on additional officially sanctioned categories when individual clubs have the leeway to add any categories they want on their local matches. In fact encouraged.

It helps keep paperwork at awards time down to the minimum, and does not get hijacked by the "must be three entered in a category" rule.

"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 11754
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 189
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2022, 12:11:26 PM »
I like it, the cas version of the Rimfire Steel Challenge but with smaller targets. I’ll play. Should be fun. Never went to the circus as a kid and only one md state fair then I think. Have gone to the nc fair and a Barnum and Bailey circus with friends and our kids. They had homeless guys running the rides I think. At least as scruffy as they looked they could have been. I think nc has cleaned the fair up somewhat now.  Never gone back.
"Give'em hell, Pike"
 There is no horse so dead that you cannot continue to beat it.

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2022, 12:22:18 PM »
I would venture everyone within our reading circle already has the guns... :-\

I know Johhny McCrae does, another buddy has also.
 I have the earlier (Coffee board) mentioned H&R 999 and a Mod. 62 pump takedown, and close to 5000 rounds of 22 LR.

Online Blair

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2022, 12:23:51 PM »
 I believe this would also be a great way to introduce young folks (back) into the shooting sports. Also help teach them firearms safety, cleaning and maintenance.
My best,
 Blair
A Time for Prayer.
"In times of war and not before,
God and the soldier we adore.
But in times of peace and all things right,
God is forgotten and the soldier slighted"
by Rudyard Kipling.
Blair Taylor
Life-C 21

Offline Froogal

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3882
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 572
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2022, 12:43:15 PM »
Maybe a more or less "informal" get together. Still supervised for safety reasons, but no one keeps score. Kind of a "run whatcha brung" as long as it is a .22 cowboy style revolver.

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2022, 01:14:44 PM »
Pretty much, more for ACCURACY than time, though time can be used if you wish.

Here is another target Johnny made up, he has made several  :)

It was for two pistols, but it could host a pistol & a rifle instead

Offline Johnny McCrae

• Bristol Plains Pistoleros, Sweetwater Regulators
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • The older the violin, the finer the music
    • Johnny McCrae
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 258
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2022, 02:06:15 PM »
Back in Wisconsin, weather permitting, the outdoor shooting season runs from April through November. I can’t remember when we shot an April match. It gets to be a long winter so around ten years ago a group of Range Officers from a local SASS Club started to hold Indoor Cowboy Action Matches. An indoor match is held in December, January, February and March.

Back in Wisconsin we shoot these indoor matches at a local Indoor range and rent the entire range after hours on a Saturday night. This range consists of ten individual shooting stations with range distances of seven to twenty five yards. Each shooting station has a tray to stage firearms on. We start shooting at 6:15 PM and easily finish in two hours.

We shoot three “SAA Pistol only”, three “Rifle only” and one stage using only a “1911 Pistol”. In our February match we introduced a “Bonus only” stage. For safety reasons at this range, holstering is not allowed and all firearms remain cased until the shooter is in the shooting station. Each bonus is two second and each miss is five seconds. A procedural penalty is ten seconds.

The stages and score sheets are generated with a free program called Libre Office using the Drawing section.  A stage generated in LIBRE Office Drawing can be converted into a PDF or JPEG file for convenience of printing at a commercial printer.

The targets are printed in black and white on 11” x 17” sheets of plain bond paper. A red label is used for the bonus shots to eliminate having to print in color. We have tried several methods for the targets and find printing them on 11” x 17” sheets is the easiest and most economical way to go.

A typical Pistol stage is shot as follows. When called, the shooter brings their Pistols to the shooting station cased. He un-cases them and places them on the shooting station tray with the muzzles pointing down range. He loads each Pistol with five rounds each, hammer down on an empty chamber. A shooter can also load at an adjacent shooting station and when called, carry his firearms to the firing station with the muzzles up. The starting position is with the shooter’s hands at their sides.  At the beep, the shooter picks up his first Pistol and begins to shoot the prescribed stage. After the five rounds are shot, the Pistol is re-staged on the tray. The shooter picks up the second Pistol and continues to shoot the stage. After the five rounds are shot, the Pistol is re-staged on the tray. The target is retrieved and scored. After the target is scored, the shooter unloads his Pistols and shows clear to the Timer Operator. He then cases his Pistols and may leave the shooting station. A new set of targets is stapled to the cardboard backing and the next shooter is called to the shooting station. The scoring of a stage is very easy to do and spotters are not needed.

The Rifle stages are shot in a similar manner except the Rifle is loaded with ten rounds and the starting position is at Cowboy port arms. For a 1911 stage, the Pistol is staged on the tray with the action open and empty. Three magazines with five rounds each are also staged on the tray.

Major 2 posted some typical stages that we shot thru the years. Attached a few more typical stages.
You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

Offline DeaconKC

• Retired Predator Hunter
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 110215
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4667
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2022, 07:24:43 PM »
 ;D I'm ready to go! Got a Henry lever gun and a couple of Heritage revolvers!
SASS DeaconKC
The Deacon AZSA
BOLD 1088
RATS 739
STORM 448
Driver for Howard, Fine & Howard
Veterinary & Taxidermy Clinic
"Either way, you get your dog back"

Offline Johnny McCrae

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Johnny McCrae
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2022, 06:21:49 AM »
Attached is a target and an example of how a typical stage is scored. No need for a spotter.
You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

Offline wildman1

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 169
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2022, 07:44:59 AM »
Several clubs in our area have what is called an "open" class and 22's are usually what is shot in it.
wM1
WARTHOG, Dirty Rat #600, BOLD #1056, CGCS,GCSAA, NMLRA, NRA, AF&AM, CBBRC.  If all that cowboy has ever seen is a stockdam, he ain't gonna believe ya when ya tell him about whales.

Offline Niederlander

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2022, 09:45:51 AM »
I like this idea!  We have bunch of 1/4 scale steel knock-down targets we can use, too.  This should be fun!
"There go those Nebraskans, and all hell couldn't stop them!"

Offline Mogorilla

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3306
  • GAF #: 883
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 95
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2022, 10:07:34 AM »
KVC does a 22 shoot.   It also draws in 4H western shooters.  Good time, except for getting schooled by younguns.   

Offline Johnny McCrae

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Johnny McCrae
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2022, 11:33:05 AM »
Attached is a stage I wrote to fit our local range. We place a wood target stand anywhere from 5 yards to 25 yards. Paper targets are then stapled to the target stand. You normally shoot from your own individual bay. For this stage, you shoot from two individual bays. The stages I've posted can be shot with any Cowboy caliber.

I have developed Arthritis in my shooting (right) hand, and don't feel comfortable shooting CAS matches anymore. Also, my left eye has become much stronger than my right eye. I've been training myself to shoot left-handed. I bought a Henry Repeating Arms lever action Rifle in .22 caliber. This works well along with my Hi-Standard .22 Revolver in making the transition to shooting left-handed. Father Time is starting to catch up to me and this is a way to stay involved in Cowboy Action style shooting.

Major 2 and I plan on shooting this in the not too distant future.

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1181
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2022, 06:42:32 PM »
I don't own any "cowboy" .22's.  Just a buckmark semi-auto, a Diamondback DA revolver, and a Remington pump rifle that was my brother's.  But a lot of people do, so have fun!

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 396
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2022, 07:14:10 PM »
According to the proposed rules the Diamond Back would be legal, shot single action. Pump rifles are "CC" (cowboy correct) I believe.

PS; The word we want is "niche".
PS2; If you were using an outdoor range, a .410 shotgun stage would fit. I have seen a "Buckaroo" class for young shooters at a regular local match. One .22 pistol, a .22 levergun or pump, and a double or pump .410. I'm sure 20 or 28 would do, if the kid was strong enough (At the match I first saw this, one kid used a double .410 with handloads in .444 Marlin cases!)
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Offline Froogal

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3882
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 572
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2022, 07:30:31 PM »
According to the proposed rules the Diamond Back would be legal, shot single action. Pump rifles are "CC" (cowboy correct) I believe.

PS; The word we want is "niche".
PS2; If you were using an outdoor range, a .410 shotgun stage would fit. I have seen a "Buckaroo" class for young shooters at a regular local match. One .22 pistol, a .22 levergun or pump, and a double or pump .410. I'm sure 20 or 28 would do, if the kid was strong enough (At the match I first saw this, one kid used a double .410 with handloads in .444 Marlin cases!)

A twice barreled .410 ranks right up there on the "cool" factor. Might have to start hunting for one.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com